Dawn of War and Independent Characters w/ Honor Guard

Alright, so as I understand it (only played DoW a couple times) in Dawn of War you can start with up to one HQ and two Troops out on the table.

Now, for the HQ.. if you took a captain or chapter master and a command squad or honor guard, would/could they come in together (be set up as normal on the first turn) or would they have to wait in reserve? Do the CS/HG count as a retinue for the Cap'n/CM? I couldn't find that anywhere.. as I understand it, units in a retinue can't separate. So if the Cap'n/CM's CS/HG were a retinue, he couldn't detach from them right?

There are a few questions in there, thanks for whichever ones you can answer.

There are no retinues in the new CSM book, so with anything retinue related out of the way.

Each of the units mentioned counts as a seperate HQ choice, so you can only bring on one of them.

A master can JOIN an Honorguard unit and be one HQ for DOW.

A command squad similarly can JOIN a Captain and be one HQ.

If I understand correctly, a IC joined with his HG or CS cannot be singled out as an IC in CC? That is the benefit of them, vs just attaching to a lowly tac squad.

However, these add-on units are kill points at the HQ level.

If I understand correctly, a IC joined with his HG or CS cannot be singled out as an IC in CC? That is the benefit of them, vs just attaching to a lowly tac squad.

However, these add-on units are kill points at the HQ level.

I have to disagree with you here. While an argument could be made for an IC attached to a squad being a single choice, I don't agree. The example giveing in the book talks about a IC joining a troop unit still counting as two units for dawn of war.

Also, the only way an IC can't be singled out in close combat is if he is with a retinue. While the HG and CS are retiunes by fluff, the are not by game rules. The only way to have a retinue is to have the IC in a unit he cannot leave.

No they can't.

Rulebook says (for DOW) you may deploy up to one unit from your HQ selections.

If you join an IC (HQ selection) with a command/hg squad (hq selection) you have two HQ selections.

A mounted Tac squad counts as two troop choices?

Rhinos/RBs count as a troop choice?

Yes on both acounts, though this will normaly only mater for purposes of what you can deploy in a DOW mission, as vehicles are not scoring units, and dedicated transports do not fill up FOC slots.

But yeah things that dont take up FOC slots count as the type of unit that allowed you to take them, so a LR taken as a dedicated transport for terminators is an elite choice, and a rhino taken for a devestator squad is a heavy choice.

Wow. Jeeze. Can you cite a page for that in the rulebook? I like having these things down...

In DoW, a Tac squad in its rhino would count for both troop choices that you could place on turn 1. Jeeze, alright. Thanks!

I dont know about the small rulebook, but in the hardback version there is a paragrah or so of italics under the dawn of war mission. It states that a transported tactical squad counts as both troops units upon deployment. If not for that I would never have believed it personally... but its written out plain as day.

Pg 93, bottom right for reference.

I dont know about the small rulebook, but in the hardback version there is a paragrah or so of italics under the dawn of war mission. It states that a transported tactical squad counts as both troops units upon deployment. If not for that I would never have believed it personally... but its written out plain as day.

Pg 93, bottom right for reference.

The hardback and small rulebook are identical up to pg 95. AKA all the rules are identical. The big rule book just has some extra senarios, and a section on modeling and painting adn the such.

And yeah what Hexx quoted was what I was refering too.

it might be easier to think of them as "units" not "choices" the squad and its dedicated transport are 1 choice, but due to the rules quoted above, count as 2 separate units (3 if you combat squad) in all game terms after army list selection. so they would be multiple units in deployment, movement, shooting, etc... but still one FOC slot or "choice".

Archived