Drop Pod shooting

Quick question. I have always assumed a drop pod can fire on the turn it arrives and no-one at local GW thinks anything of it but it suddenly occurred to me can it? Deepstriking vehicles assumed to move 12" when deploying but a drop pod is not fast or even mobile for that matter and its only vehicle classification is 'open topped' (Even though you cant assault out of it! :lol: -strange... It seems deep strike rules take precedence over vehicle rules)

What are your thoughts?

Kind regards,

The drop-pod cannot shoot when it lands. This has nothing to do with whether 'deep strike' rules take precedence over 'vehicle rules' as both are observed fully.

The Drop Pod is not fast. It can only shoot if it has moved 6" or less in the last movement phase. Normally, this is not a problem since the Pod cannot move at all.

However, on the turn it deep-strikes, it does count as having moved 12" and thus cannot shoot.

However, on the turn it deep-strikes, it does count as having moved 12" and thus cannot shoot.

Does anyone have the reference to where this is expressly stated in the rules?

-OMG

Does anyone have the reference to where this is expressly stated in the rules?

-OMG

Actually it says they count as moving at "Cruising speed" but its much the same thing. Page 95 of the BRB, third paragraph from the bottom in the large book, left column.

Unexpected bonus of them NOT being able to fire: Many people ignore them for the first turn. This means that they make for good terrain. And you can remind them of the fact that they're really vehicles the next turn when they open fire. This REALLY matters when you're dropping one on an objective.

HOWEVER, this is not in the spirit of the use of a POD. You want that baby firing thee instant the doors pop open...some types of pods were designed to clear the landing zone before other troops arrived. This is an intersting observation. I wonder if they handle this in Planet Strike....

the 4th ed. pods had PotMS, so if I remember rightly, they could land and fire.

not now (at least nod codex :SM pods). as for planetstrike, there is no modifiecation to the rules. the pod clearly cannot assault on the turn it lands, and the rules for the pod specifically state that the unit it carries may not assault on the turn they disembark, either. as they must disembark the turn they land, the pod works exactly the same in planetstrike as it does in regular 40k. them's the breaks.

Well the storm bolter is a defensive weapon. So I would say that it can fire on the turn it arrives. The deathwind launcher is str. 5 so it would not be able to fire.

and... NO.

It doesn't matter whether or not the storm bolter is a defensive weapon. The drop pod counts as having moved at cruising speed the turn you bring it in, and it's not a fast vehicle. The rules do not say that you can fire a weapon if you moved at cruising speed, unless you're a fast vehicle. PERIOD!

Fortunately Templars pods still fire the turn they land(their pods have a special rule allowing it), sadly they are BS2.

Even more unfortunate is that my dropod army is Salamanders and my footslog/mech is Templars -.-

Archived