Drop Pod question

Alright, so I was playing a game with a friend.

I dropped my Dread in a Pod near the edge, next to his Vindi, figuring "screw it, let's take a chance."

The pod scattered, off to the edge of the table. It was placed, a corner sticking off the edge of the table.. but it was also rubbing right up against the Vindi, violating the 1" rule that models have to keep from enemies.

Now, normally a Pod would be moved back to its starting position until it wasn't violating that rule (correct?), but where the pod was placed its corner was hanging off the edge, which I believe would mean that it would normally be lost... but where it had landed was illegal, because it was rubbing against that Vindi. So... was the pod lost or not?

We played it the latter way, moving the pod back so it wasn't violating the 1", which made it not hang off the edge anymore.

Thoughts?

Not covered as far as I know, but i would go, from where you originally placed it, does it meet the vindi or the table edge first and go from there.

edit: a second thought I had, it isn't actually placed till after inertial, so perhaps it always goes first. I'll be pondering this some more.

Since the wording says "Reduce the scatter distance," not "add to the scatter distance so you're at least 1" away from enemy models," you would've been right to move it back until it's 1" from the vindicator.

HOWEVER.

This would've been the case had none of your model been sticking off the edge of the table. Unfortunately, as part of it (the corner) was sticking off, the whole thing counts as going off the table edge and thus you should have rolled on the Mishap table. This was just an expanded version of what Grey Mage wrote :).

• 3 weeks later...
My friend and I ran into a different scenario with the inertial guidance rule. My drop pod scattered so that it would have landed on one of his squads of chaos marines, I moved the pod back towards its intended impact point per the rule and set it down one inch from his squad. The question we had come up is what happens with the door on the side facing his squad? Does it not open now? Or was I supposed to move the pod far enough away so that the door could open? For simplicity sake we went with just leave that door as not opening. I just had another thought on it, perhaps we should have open the door and any of his models that would have been under it just placed on top of the door?

... I just had another thought on it, perhaps we should have open the door and any of his models that would have been under it just placed on top of the door?

Correct. The doors are considered by most players to be cosmetic. The portion of the Drop Pod that matters for placement, targeting, LOS, range, and deployment is the pentagonal base. If you've previously agreed to the LOS impact of the Drop Pod, there's actually no physical need to open the doors.

Id just leave the sucker closed for simplicities sake.

Just like you don't have to open doors, hatches, or ramps to exit from any other transport. Just deploy your models within 2" of the "hull" or access point.

Archived