sarge/captain etc equipment

Somar

hello,

i would like to get some opinions here, in the past some peeps have had problems with the way i see it so here goes:

can a tactical sergeant have a bolter, bolt pistol and a power sword?

same question for the captain or chapter master...

i did check the codex, in the unit entry it says "may exchange x and/or y for the following:..."

at the beginning of the army list it mentions under point 7 though: ...where it states that you may replace one weapon and/or another, you may replace either, NEITHER, or both provided you pay the cost.

so in case of a sergeant with BP and bolter i will replace neither and buy him a power sword.

and for good measure i will throw in the 3 kinds of combi weapons...

right?

Wrong.

It would be the case if the options list in the unit entry didnt specifically state how to purchase said items.

The "neither" is simply to reference that you may leave the unit as is.

Sorry.

Would be cool though...........

(Goes away to think of a multi-barreled combi-weapon.)

multi barreled combi weapon? i want a caddy to follow my CM around, with a bag full of goodies saying things like:

"for this particular abomination i would recommend a nice melta blast followed by a few slashes with you trusty lightning claw, sahr!"

if it wasnt for that point number 7 i would have no probs with the NO decision, and nothing more would be needed to be said.

but that paragraph if there and to me it clearly states that i can get something from the list and replace NEITHER of the things he already has.

which would basically make someone like a sarge comparable to a chaos champion.

if i really cannot do it, then please explain to me why, not just say: no, thats the way it is, deal with it.

thank you for your patience all.

key word is REPLACE, you may REPLACE either, neither or both, so you can replace your BP or chainsword or replace both or REPLACE neither, so no you can't have 3 combi weapons and a power sword

You dont have to take the item... but you cannot take it without replacing another.

Why? Because regardless of point 7 pg 128, each unit entry states that the new weapon replaces something. In cases where it does not, such as with meltabombs or digital weapons it does not state "may replace his bolt pistol/chainsword" it simply says "may take".

This idea is made of fail.

You could exchange both - You are not limited to a single pick from the list of optional weapons. You can chose two of them, like two lightning claws for example, or a powerweapon and plasma pistol.

You could exchange either - You can trade in the boltgun or the boltpistol. E.g. You can exchange the boltgun for a powerweapon (for a BP/PW combo) or exchange the boltpistol for a powerfist, keeping the boltgun since you would not get the bonus attack with a powerfist anyway.

You could exchange neither - You do not have to chose any of the options at all and your sergeant can keep his boltgun/bolt pistol equipment.

Also, there are some options that actually can be taken on top of existing gear, like the storm shields for command squads. In such cases the option is not listed to "replace" existing items. Honour Guard members may "take a relic blade". They are not replacing on of their other (three) weapons with it. But the Honour Guard Champion can "replace" his power sword with a thunder hammer. Some options are taken on top of existing gear, some replace exsting gear.

on another note i by raw i could replace my bolt pistol for a combi melta, and replace my chainsword with combi flamer thus having to combi weapons. i perfered the old way of selecting wargear then the new

Archived