Sons of Orar - 1st Company Veterans

Nice painting Ashen, a good rich red. Clean, tidy paint job mate 10/10

May I ask how you do your whites? I should be painting my medic / apoth soonish and want to do him all white like the old 2nd Ed ones were. White is a pain to get right for me. Any pointers would be very much appreaciated.

Thanks for the comments.

The white is done simply by working codex grey up to pure skull white. Just keep layering and blending with increasing amounts of white until you have just skull white on the edges.

Also, my to-do list has expanded out of control (lol, that always happens to me) here's what I should have when everything has arrived:

5 Sternguard Veterans (2.5 done)

5 Vanguard Veterans

23 Normal Veterans

4 Masters of the Chapter

Lots of Mk6 marines (Lost count)

5 Terminators

Terminator Captain

Dreadnought

3 Rhinos

Razorback

Whirlwind

Land Raider Crusader

2 Land Speeders

8 Bikes

1 Attack Bike

12 Scouts (Not really first company, but I'm still painting them :lol: )

Librarian

Thunderfire Cannon

2 Techmarines

OOP Metal Commander (One of my favourite poses)

LE 1999 Skulz Captain

LE 2008 Web Promo Sergeant (Done)

LE 2008 GD Captain (Will soon be counts-as Shrike) (1/2 done)

LE 2005 Army Box Sergeant

LE 2005 Sgt. Aurelius

They all look fantastic! Very clean and crisp th colours work so well together and the gold is fantastic.

What will be nxt on your list to do? My vote is for terminators.

The model you are after you can only get from Ebay I looked for ages for mine. Good luck in finding them.

Cheers peeps. :devil:

What will be nxt on your list to do? My vote is for terminators.

The model you are after you can only get from Ebay I looked for ages for mine. Good luck in finding them.

Next? Emmm, well first of all I'll finish the last two sternguard (one of which is 1/4 done), then I'll probably do the vanguards, as my termies probably won't be here for a while.

And about those two veterans - I managed to get them both off ebay, they're blackcoated and sitting happily on my shelf.

Thanks again peeps!

Red:

Base of Mechrite - Badab Black Wash - re-coat Mechrite - Highlight by adding inceasing amounts of Bubonic Brown, - Shade with Baal Red Wash

I guess I'm going to try that for my sons of orar, since blood red seems to hate me. I mean, i can't do anything with blood red without ruining my model!!!! I also like how your method doesn't require highlights!

No offense, but these are actually quite rubbish. The colours aren't smooth, the red is too thick and you can see brush strokes, and the N is just pathetic.

Lol now imagine if all I just said had been true (It isn't by th way). I love your work Ashen, its great, and the bases fit. What size are they? 30mm? 40mm?

Thanks

I meant to reply to this earlier - sorry for the delay.

Yep, they're 30mm confrontation bases. I much prefer them to the standard 25mm because SMs are big and 'hang out' over the edge. 25mm is fine for LotR and true-scale 28mm, but not 40k IMO.

Sweet stuff Ashen. I have a question thought. I'm using warmachine bases like you are, but for my Terminators, I bulked up the dirt, so it was like a little mound.

I like how you do yours, do you cut the slotta bases off the models, or do you do...what? I find that it puts them a bit lower than the lip on the base.

Thanks.

I leave the slotta tab on them, but just leave the feet 1mm above the ground of the base for the sand to fit under them. as long as you kink the tab enough to make it tight it should stay at that height. I have recently aquired 40mm bases for my termies, but the recess is too deep so I'm going to put two layers of sand on it.

In other news the 4th Sternguard is now finished and I've begun painting the final one. (1st SM squad ever.) Pics will come when the sun comes out tomorrow morning.

Final Sternguard:

http://i119.photobucket.com/albums/o129/seamusin/RIMG0021.jpg

Group Shot: (NOTE: This is the best representation of what the red looks like IRL)

http://i119.photobucket.com/albums/o129/seamusin/RIMG0024.jpg

Nice work mate, so crisp and clean i just love them, though i must say what really catches my attention is the gorgeous metalic technique you use. Its the same i "try" to use, but you manage to get is done in a fantastic way, keep it up.

Archived