help on new diy chapter

apostle85

Im thinking of starting a new greek themed chapter called the brotherhood of the gorgon, the chapter symbol will be a golden medusa head on the left arm. C&C very much wanted anlong with ideas and suggestions for conversions.

spacemarine.jpg

Here are a couple ideas for weapon conversions to fit more into traditional greek warrior predictions (like in clay pot artwork). Here is a picture to illustrate what im getting at.

http://cd7.e2bn.net/e2bn/leas/c99/schools/cd7/website/images/greek-warriors-1.jpg

spears, like from the chaos warrior knights remain power armored looking, as well as sheer bad@$$ery if painted right

plastic skeleton shields from the undead range would make perfect combat shields for sergeants (although not a weapon option for tac sergeants now to my knowledge) they would still look sweet with a bolt pistol slung underneath. These would also be great to put on tanks-- though some "god boxes" or old greco theatre maks on a PA system would look sweet as all get out as well.

The exarch head bit from the eldar dire avengers box makes a great horse hair crest if cut down to fit with a marine helmet:

++edit++ darn pic links didnt work ;)

If your going with Gorgon, might I suggest some form of helmet mounted weapon for the force commander. So that he can litteraly turn his enemies to statues (fluffly you could say something like the weapon evaporates all the moisture from the target instantly and turns them into statue like dry husks).

Rule wise it could just be a digi weapon or plas pistol.

I love Greek and Spartan themed armies so I will be tracking this topic.

What if you named each company after a different greek myth/god. For instance, your devistator company could be named Hercules (brute strength and force), Assault company could be Minotaur (close combat), scout company Hydra (many headed attack).

Anyway Great name, nice colours, though some brighter green eyes might be nice.

fantastic idea Jester that should work into what i had in mind for the force comander quite well, i hope to have some test models up as soon as i can get at my minis, as my bro has taken the key to the storage space and lost it!!!!!!!

What if you named each company after a different greek myth/god. For instance, your devistator company could be named Hercules (brute strength and force), Assault company could be Minotaur (close combat), scout company Hydra (many headed attack).

I like this idea, but if you go through with it, I urge you to do a little reading, and use the transliterated Greek names, instead of the Latinized names (i.e., "Heracles" vs "Hercules", "Aias" vs "Ajax", "Hermes" vs "Mercury").

If you were inclined to inscribe the names on your squaddies, don't be afraid to use Greek! The letters are certainly no harder to draw than English or Roman letters, and it would look much, much cooler. ;)

Devastators:

Philoctetes (mythic archer)

Apollo (also an archer)

Teukros (the younger brother of one of the Aiantes - big Aias, I think - and also an archer. there's a bit in the Iliad where Aias uses shield and spear to cover Teukros, while Teukros takes some brutal potshots from behind his brother's shield)

Assault:

Achilles (I'm a sucker for "Akhileus", but it's ugly - anyway, Achilles was famed for his speed and savagery)

Aias ("big Aias", specifically, was legendary for his strength. the other Aias was also pretty awesome though.)

Tacticals:

Odysseus (famed for cleverness - suits the fluff surrounding Tacticals as being highly-flexible combat units)

Hektor (staunch, honorable hero of Ilium - might be better for an IC or command squad)

I highly recommend that you read the Iliad. It's not a terribly difficult read, in my opinion, and is chock full of ideas.

First if this is in the wrong section, mods i apologize, and cosair that was the plan, i just finished reading fulgrim and was insipred by ferus manus' nickname of the gorgon.

I love the half-n-half colored marines... ahem, like my angels...

I was wondering if the grey half was going to be metalic or not? I am concerned that there isn't enough of a differance to not look 'muddy' when you have a table full of them. Like my dark green and bone white or the 'eagle warriors' stark white and Ultra blue... if it were a bright silver with lots of white highlights maybe... :)

You have a great back story fluff growing; more thought than most already invested and it would be unfortunate if the army from a distance was less than eye catching.

My 2 cents...

Archived