Ogre LeadBelchers = Obliterators?

minigun762

So I'm coming home from work today and a thought crossed my mind.

"I don't like how Obliterators look but they're so useful! And I love how spawns look but they kinda blow."

So why not use the cool spawn model for my Obliterators?

My plan is is to use a combination of the spawn parts with the plastic Dev squad weapons to create some kind of organic-weapon platform (aka an Obliterator). However I have two questions for the group

1) Do you think this plan is worth pursuing and do you think it will look cool in the end?

2) Would such models be 100% no questions asked tournament legal? I'd hate to make something that I'd be afraid to use.

I thought of using spawn as the base of my oblits, but they come two to a box and would get pretty expensive if you go beyond those two. Plus their positioning says lithe speed and action to me (even though they are supposed to be slow and purposeful)...which isn't what an oblit brings to mind.

I bought the Warboss and Nobs sprues off ebay for $5.50 total and will be using them as the bases for my Oblits. Their size, armor plates, boots, etc. are cool and I will let those parts stay uncovered. As to the rest...plenty of Greenstuff and bits. I play Nurgle so I will add hoses, cannisters, and plenty of pustule-ridden flesh to cover up the Orky bits. My fluff will include a rationale for there being a "leader"-looking Oblit with the other slightly smaller Oblits...but I just couldn't NOT use that awesome looking Power Klaw!

I actually considered using TS rules for a squad I was going to make for my IWs. A squad of guys on their way to becoming obliterators. Slow and purposeful, AP3 weapons(weaker plasma weapons), and a sorcerer w/ bolt of change(weaker lascannon). I just never got around to doing it. I was going to convert regular marines to look like they were turning to obliterators.

its annoying that the only thing that stops me from using Obliterators is the warp-blasted ugly model of death.

I need to try and find some better solution, the Terminators sound decent, but then again I already have Termies in my army and I don't want it to get confusing.

EDIT: What about these guys? Ogre Leadbelchers?

Now that you mention using the Lead Belchers, I really like the idea. Maybe model on a backpack/sack with lots of weapon bitz sticking out to give the impression that they Macgyver something together. And it's a plus that the models are all plastic and you get 4 in a box. nice thinking!

I need to try and find some better solution, the Terminators sound decent, but then again I already have Termies in my army and I don't want it to get confusing.

Believe me, if you don't use the Trophy Racks, and you use a lot of Greenstuff/Mutation bitz they can't be confused with Terminators. Go here for an awesome tutorial.

Now that you mention using the Lead Belchers, I really like the idea. Maybe model on a backpack/sack with lots of weapon bitz sticking out to give the impression that they Macgyver something together. And it's a plus that the models are all plastic and you get 4 in a box. nice thinking!

I was actually thinking of mixing the parts from the Ork Nobs and Lootas, maybe some Dev squads weapons and the Belchers.

Give them a semi-armored look, with recognizable weapons and a big enough body that it looks appropriate.

Archived