Which Loyalists would turn to Nurgle?

Hi everyone, I have 3 questions for you.

1) Which First or Second founding Chapter would most likely turn to Nurgle? Does this rely too much on generalisations?

2) What would a Salamander most likely become if he turned to Chaos? Same as above, does this rely too much on a generalisation, or what the Sallie was before he turned?

3) How do I set my Windows XP so I can move the mouse curser with the arrow keys? My mum took the mouse adapter with her and I've had to use tab for everything :Troops:

Thanks in advance :Elite:

Well, I'd have to say:

1) Tricky one, beyond Death Guard of course. It might just be me, but... I'd actually say Iron Hands. The whole thing about the weakness of flesh fits in quite well with the Nurgle ideals of embracing disease so that you are immune to it.

2) Well, they sure do like their fire... they're also quite good artisans... but not Khorne or Nurgle, they're too humanitarian for those two, and Slaanesh doesn't sit well with me, so by process of elimination: Tzeentch!

3)

Display the Start menu by pressing CTRL+ESC (or the Windows logo key ).

Select Control Panel by pressing C.

In Control Panel:

Be sure you are in Classic View (all Control Panel icons are showing).

If not, under Control Panel in the left pane, select Switch to Classic View by pressing TAB.

Press ENTER.

Press the RIGHT ARROW key, and then the LEFT ARROW key to select Accessibility Options.

Press ENTER.

In the Accessibility Options dialog box:

Select the Mouse tab by pressing CTRL+TAB.

On the Mouse tab:

To turn on MouseKeys:

Select the Use MouseKeys check box by pressing M.

Note To turn off MouseKeys, clear the Use Mousekeys check box by pressing M.

To access MouseKeys settings:

Be sure that Use MouseKeys is selected.

Select Settings by pressing S.

In the Setting for MouseKeys dialog box:

Select the options you want by pressing the underlined letter in the option you want (see notes below). Use the arrow keys to move the sliders.

Press ENTER twice to save your settings and close the dialog boxes.

7 To close Control Panel:

Select the Close button.

To close Control Panel:

Press ALT+F, C.

1) Which First or Second founding Chapter would most likely turn to Nurgle? Does this rely too much on generalisations?

I agree that Iron Hands have alot going for them in that direction. Its not hard to see the hatred for weakness get replaced by finally accepting and mourning their own fraility, and searching for something, anything to remove that weakness. They look towards the machine now, but what if the machine fails, where will they look to next?

2) What would a Salamander most likely become if he turned to Chaos? Same as above, does this rely too much on a generalisation, or what the Sallie was before he turned?

Oddly enough, I'd say Nurgle as well, but for different reasons then the Iron Hand. Salamanders, being a more humanitarian Chapter, could approach Nurgle from the "fatherly" perspective. They seek to bring all of humanity into their loving "family" because Papa Nurgle will care for them where the Emperor has left them. Weapon-wise, Flamers/Melta becoming acid-sprayers/Bile-Spewers makes sense and would be fun.

3) How do I set my Wndows XP so I can move the mouse curser with the arrow keys? My mum took the mouse adapter with her and I've had to use tab for everything ;)

zero idea, but it looks like you have a good answer.

Some has turned already, they are called Dragon Warriors. They appear to be heavily tainted/mutated by The Warp.

Ithink the Flesh Tare could go Nurgle as a was of escaping the twin curses of the Black Rage and Red Thirst that are destroing their chapter. They are all too aware of the Danger of Khorn and wouldn't be eaisly seduced by that path; but immunity from their own genetic damage would be a great temptation.

i see the salamanders as worshiping undivided, actually. they just don't really have any traits that fit them with any specific god. they don't care about magic and secret knowledge, they aren't total berserk fighters that live to slaughter....actually...i thought of this as i was writing: maybe slaaneesh would make sense.

doesn't a love of flame/melta weapons show a tendency towards a love of excess and experience?

and i feel like nurgle is waaaaaay off the mark. in fact i can't think of single chapter that i think would embrace nurgle. MAYBE the raven guard, since they've already used mutants in the past and it would help save their chapter. heck, fluff wise the only reason the death guard even did was essentially because of an accident; the destroyer plague.

1) Tricky one, beyond Death Guard of course. It might just be me, but... I'd actually say Iron Hands. The whole thing about the weakness of flesh fits in quite well with the Nurgle ideals of embracing disease so that you are immune to it.

While good logic I have to disagree. I see chaos Iron Hands becoming almost exactly like the Iron Warriors. Hatred of the flesh lead to an even stronger hatred of mutated flesh. Any mutation got replaced with a demon possessed bionic. If they believe flesh is weak, why go the route of making your flesh rot, making it even weaker? I see them becoming necrons before going to nurgle.

Ithink the Flesh Tare could go Nurgle as a was of escaping the twin curses of the Black Rage and Red Thirst that are destroing their chapter.

Or embrace being almost crazy and become full crazy.... bezerkers. Even knowing the danger of khorn, if they went chaos I don't think it would take much to push them in that direction. "Oh you like drinking blood, how convenient, so does my friend Khârn."

Who would go to nurgle? I'm thinking of who likes the father figure, fears death, and/or is known for being very resilient or durable.

Imperial Fists- definite father obsession on two levels, and I've always seen them as being fairly durable.

Ultramarine- yes and no. Part of me thinks they would still desire everything being overly organized, which leans towards nurgle. If that doesn't make sense think about the other gods.... Screaming for ecstasy, screaming for skulls, or worshiping change in itself. I think the other gods are a little to over the top for ultras, and they are far to strict and regimented to be undivided, leaving the unchanging(ultras don't like change) fathersome welcome arms of nurgle. On the other hand I think ultras once let free might go the opposite extreme hating rules and organization, and wanting to over indulge... Slannesh.

edit: DUH.... Thinking of Ultras reminded me of the Ultramarine story Warriors of Ultramar! The Mortifactors!!!! They practically worship.... DEATH. There you go, perfect, and in the story the Ultramarines were already worried the Mortifactors had strayed to far from the Codex. I remember reading it thinking these guys are doomed to chaos. They were already worshipping ancestors, completing rituals, their chaplain did a spirit walk thing, and based strategy on what his ancestors told him. I kept reading it waiting for them to turn.

http://warhammer40k.wikia.com/wiki/Mortifactors

Chapter Recruitment

The Mortifactors recruit from the night world Posul, where the nomad population practice cannibalism.

Fortress Monastery

The fortress monastery of the Mortifactors is adorned with skulls and bones of those that died in the service of the chapter.

OMG they even have a skull as their chapter symbol. Armor is 'bone' white. These guys need to turn to nurgle more than the death guard did. If one of their ancestors came back from the dead and said nurgle did it, I think they would switch to chaos over night without a second thought.

im sure i remember a short story were an ultamarine becomes a follower of nurgle, and has a personal vendetta with a sob a good story too, anyone else remember it?

Yeah, I think it was called Daemonhood or something.

It was in one of the collection of short story books, Galaxy in Flames maybe?

While good logic I have to disagree. I see chaos Iron Hands becoming almost exactly like the Iron Warriors. Hatred of the flesh lead to an even stronger hatred of mutated flesh. Any mutation got replaced with a demon possessed bionic. If they believe flesh is weak, why go the route of making your flesh rot, making it even weaker? I see them becoming necrons before going to nurgle.

Ah, but that's not what Nurgle thinks. In his mind by making the body immune to diseases by embracing them makes you stronger than normal flesh. After all, Plague Marines ARE much tougher than regular Marines.

Or embrace being almost crazy and become full crazy.... bezerkers. Even knowing the danger of khorn, if they went chaos I don't think it would take much to push them in that direction. "Oh you like drinking blood, how convenient, so does my friend Khârn."

The reason I don't see this as a possiblity is the when the Rage takes them They for lack of a better way to say it become Sanguinius. I don't think in that state they could be turned from the Emperor. They relive the fight with Horus and are more loyal in those moments then they have ever been in their entier lives.

edit: DUH.... Thinking of Ultras reminded me of the Ultramarine story Warriors of Ultramar! The Mortifactors!!!! They practically worship.... DEATH. There you go, perfect, and in the story the Ultramarines were already worried the Mortifactors had strayed to far from the Codex. I remember reading it thinking these guys are doomed to chaos. They were already worshipping ancestors, completing rituals, their chaplain did a spirit walk thing, and based strategy on what his ancestors told him. I kept reading it waiting for them to turn.

http://warhammer40k.wikia.com/wiki/Mortifactors

Chapter Recruitment

The Mortifactors recruit from the night world Posul, where the nomad population practice cannibalism.

Fortress Monastery

The fortress monastery of the Mortifactors is adorned with skulls and bones of those that died in the service of the chapter.

OMG they even have a skull as their chapter symbol. Armor is 'bone' white. These guys need to turn to nurgle more than the death guard did. If one of their ancestors came back from the dead and said nurgle did it, I think they would switch to chaos over night without a second thought.

I actually see the mortifactors going to khorne as they already keep the skulls of worthy opponents not to mention the various rumors they still eat flesh... plus as can been seen from the novel they are clearly not as anal retentive about change as the ultra's.

Hmm... Why not Black Templars? I see them as being fanatical worshippers, and while some may pin them as more of an Undivided army, I can see them becoming heavily obsessed in the ways of decay. Obsessively spreading diseases and whatnot on sacred "Crusades" as per the Father. I'm sure they'd revel in the Plague of the Unbeliever, it seems to be something a fallen Black Templar would find great happiness in spreading. "You have no faith in our Father? Then he has something for you."

As far as Iron Hands go, they're definitely Slaanesh material. Flesh is weak, they seek perfection. Just as the Emperor's Children sought perfection in martial prowess, they seek perfection in physical stature.

I actually see the mortifactors going to khorne as they already keep the skulls of worthy opponents not to mention the various rumors they still eat flesh... plus as can been seen from the novel they are clearly not as anal retentive about change as the ultra's.

Its not the skulls of their enemies if I remember correctly, its the skulls of their own warriors. Its not a 'lets go collect skulls' situation. They do it as a way of honoring their dead, they even offer some of the Ultras the option of having their skulls placed there if they die. Its like they worship death, not so much worshiping 'killing' as much worshiping death. And who doesn't eat flesh? Are their vegetarian marines out there? And even eating human flesh is somewhat normal for marines, they have that gland that lets them read memories that way.

Plus from reading about them they didn't come off as battle crazy. The only thing that stood out was their obsession with the dead. Talking to ancestors using what appear as psychic powers really doesn't go with Khorne either.

And it is going to be hard to find an army that leans towards nurgle without leaning towards khorne as well. Killing and death go together. I say these guys break the mold, even more so than the death guard because of their pure obsession with the dead.

Hmm. I don't think the Iron Hands would be good as Nurgle followers, simply because the Iron Hands would have their 'iron hands/ body parts' rusted and corroded as a result of turning to Nurgle. Wouldn't that make them more of a Rusted Iron Hands :whistling: .

Speaking of Khorne, I think the Flesh Tearers would definetly take him as their patron god, if they weren't loyal to the Emperor.

hey there :D

i've written up a bit of fluff for a salamanders based chaos legion. they may not be from the salamanders themselves, but rather from a desendent chapter.. storm giants or black dragons.

black dragons have very chaosy mutations.

basically the jist of my fluff is a company of warriors from storm giants/black dragons (not sure just yet) are sick of the credo of the astartes and seek glory and are hungry for the secrets of the universe. on a mission close to the maelstrom, they disable all communications to the rest of the imperium and slay all of the imperial guard and such on the world. the enemy they were on the world to fight, a small group of night lords, are crushed by them soon afterward. one night lord, however, survives, and whilst the newly turned renegades are discussing their options he leaps from the shadows and kills the captain of the assault squad. after a bout with the commander, the night lord gives them some information about chaos (although it is restricted and self-centered). the commander of the renegades does not desire to treat chaos in such a way as the night lords do, because he has faced its monstrosities before.

uhh after that the night lord joins them as the captain of the assault squad, having been in the same position in his former mob, his only other option being death at the hands of the renegade commander.

later on the company find out they have been manipulated by a sorcerer of tzeentch this entire time. when they meet him face to face, they are not aware of this fact and he joins their ranks for a while. eventually he is sprung for the menace he is (not sure how yet :P) and .. something else happens xD

as you can see, my fluff is sparse.. but i found it cool that the only reason defenders so stalwart would turn to chaos is if they were being manipulated OR they have a defective gene-seed. the black dragons are an example of this, having been established in the cursed-founding and have bone spikes protruding from their heads and elbows.

anyway i'll probably post this up in a thread soon (when it's actually done) but til then.. i hope it gave you some direction on the diversity of ways a chapter can become chaosy (:

-doosh

Archived