Huron Tries to take on Blood Angels [1500]

Prot

So I had another bash using my current Huron/Red Corsair list:

HQ:

Huron 170

TROOPS:

8 Khorne Berzerkers- includes a champ w/fist. Rides with HURON in Landraider:

10 Corsair Marines, including Champ with fist, and 1 meltagun, and flamer: Icon of Khorne. Rhino Xarmour:

10 Corsair Marines, including Champ with fist, and 2 Plasma Guns, and flamer: Icon of Slaanesh.: Rhino Xarmour

ELITES:

3 x Terminators; 3 x Combimelta's:

HEAVY:

Landraider; Daemonic Possesion:

3 x Obliterators:

My opponent's list looked something like this:

Chaplain w/jump pack w/ 6(?) Death Company

2 x 10 marines. 1 Rhino for close combat style marines. The other squad split into combat squads, one of which would hang back with lascannon.

2 x 5 Termies: 1 squad with Ass. cannon, Second with Missile Launcher.

Vindicator

Bal-Pred (twin- Assault, Heavy Bolter Sponsons).

2 x Mutli Melta Attack bikes.

The Scenario:

I constantly forget the name of the scenarios in the main rulebook... it's like a mental block. Anyway we played the one with 3 + D3 objectives and we ended up playing with 6 objectives. Deployment rules were: Pitched Battle (long table edge).

The Game:

Turn Start/Turn1:

We rolled for placement of the objectives, I rolled a 1... so I was worried I was going to live up to my nickname (Snake Eyes Jones) for my habit of rolling a minimum of 2 ones in every dice roll. It's an ugly nickname I can't seem to shake. :lol:

The table was dead even. 1 major Gothic Ruin per side, with bridgework in the middle of the table, including some craters. The flanks of the table were protected by tree lines, which provided decent cover but difficulty movement.

I rolled a 1 for first turn, and couldn't steal the initiative.

So he deployed and sat his Lascannon combat squad on an objective. I instantly realized just how out numbered I felt. I decided to go with a strategy I use when facing superior numbers, and I have more... 'elite-ish' units. Basically I hunkered down and massed up in ball around the ruins in my end and prepared for the shell shock......

He shoots his Vindicator, the shot glances the Landraider to no effect! Everything else he has advanced!

In my turn I get the Oblits up one floor in the ruins and let that Vindicator have it! Three Lascannons.... I roll three 1's! Oh no... here we go!!! I smoke the front rhino, and charge up both rhinos in a column.....

Turns 2-3:

Now he has some real range on me, not surprisingly he is fixated on my Land Raider, as I am on his Vindicator! He shoots with a LOT and I smoked the Landraider. It is stunned multiple times only, and I made my obscurement cover on another one! Woot! Huron is safe!

I decide the Oblits must make a difference here... I let loose 3 more lascannons on the Vindicator! I roll... three ones!! Arrrgh! Why do the gods taunt me so?!?!?!

Nevertheless, my Termies come in with their three melta-combi's. My opponent, who is laughing wickedly at my roll of 1's for two turns, knows I haven't hit with the termies once in two games. But this time, I took a small Termie squad, and have 3 Meltas! I stick where I deep strike, RIGHT at the rear of his Rhino! The Termies roll 1, 1, 2 ! I can't believe it... I truly can't believe it. This happens so often, and I've thrown away so much dice because of it... oh well...

Now I'm getting pasted. My Slaanesh Rhino is busted open. I take casualties. At the bottom of turn 3, my Oblits WIFF again! This is incredible! So I've had it with the Oblits, and decide from now on, I'm just going to use Plasma Cannons.

So turn 3 comes to a close. Huron is not happy, while he enjoys the protection of the Landraider with the World Eaters, he grudgingly acknowledges the Red Corsairs have done ZERO casualties to the cursed Blood Angels. The Red Corsair terminators which had flashed on their 3 melta's were easily overwhelmed by the Death Company, and now with a cracked rhino, the Slaanesh Corsairs were getting shot up. They took cover, and started running towards the Blood Angel Rhino in hopes of action.

Turns 4-5

In turn 4 the Blood Angels start to get the Terminators into the action, they are advancing hard to meet my flank punching maneuver on the right side of the table. In hindsight I believe I had perfect deployment, but after 3 turns of not killing a thing, it was starting to catch up with me.

Huron could stand no more- He ordered the remaining Rhino to block the oncoming reinforcements of the Blood Angles, slowing the Tremies advance, a combat squad, and the Vindicator would have a very limited angle of attack. It worked, but would it buy me enough time?

The Khorne Corsair Rhino went up in smoke, but after several shots I finally cracked the only rhino he had. Huron tired of the 'wait and see' game and rushed out with the World Eaters and shot up the Attack Bikes, giving the Landraider a bit of breathing room. BTW: In 3 turns the Landraider also failed to penetrate a single vehicle.

With the Blood Angels retreating on the flank (obviously hiding until reinforcements came), I punched the rhino down with a lucky shot. The remaning Slaanesh marines rushed in and destroyed the squad with flamers, and power weapon attacks. Essentially I had managed to take the right flank... except for the Death Company which can be a real pain in the warp.

My tactic change with the Oblits paid off royally. My opponent lost 7 terminators due to Plasma cannon fire. This instantly made the Landraider less of a target, and the oblits a larger one for the Blood Angels.

By turn 5 the Khorne Corsairs were on foot, trying to escape fire power from the Baal pred, but I did have a melta gun in the squad, so as I rushed to support my flanking Huron, I thought I'd take a melta pop at the Ball Pred... rolled a 1!

As Turn 5 was underway the Oblits cracked 3 more plasma cannons at his Combat squad holding an objective at center table which I had to discard with the Khorne Marines. The Blood Angels faded heavily under the rain of Plasma.

We rolled for end of game, but it would continue....

Turn 6-:

The Obltis came under heavy fire from the Vindicator and I failed 2 of my 4+ cover saves in the ruins.... down to one Oblit. This was going to be close. The Khorne Corsairs wanted to impress Huron and decided to rush into the Death Company.... the Death Company would not get the benefit of the rush this time. I won the combat, leaving the Chaplain alone with a single wound... perfect.

Now my Landraider turned on the Vindicator which had a very blessed game for survivability.... Finally a weapon destroyed! The Khornate Corsairs finished off the Death Company and retreated into the forest to claim an objective.

With the Slaanesh marines wiped to a man, it was up to Huron and the 4 remaining World Eaters to sit on a second objective winning me the game 2-1.

Conclusion:

First off, and most obviously, I have never had such poor shooting that I can remember. For the first 3 turns I may have rolled a record number of 1's and 2's. And I roll a lot of them!

By the way it was going, on turn three I had pretty much decided my strategy had collapsed and the best I could do is see what kind of 'suicide' mission I could put Huron and the World Eaters on! Wow was I wrong.... Chaos works in mysterious ways.

As far as changes, I won't make any to the list as it stands now. It has a very tight balance right now. It has enough flexibility to react well, and enough firepower to threaten armour. Huron did okay, but he's there for theme as much as anything so he's definitely staying.

get new dice

On more than one occasion, I bought new dice between the 2nd and 3rd games of a tournament because of bad rolling. And proceeded to loose game 3... ;)

Glad to see someone is using Huron. I inquired about his effectiveness recently and was kinda surprised at all the negativity towards him.

Thanks for the bat rep! Keep 'em coming.

Thanks for reading guys.

I have a reputation for rolling ones... it's no fiction, it really is that bad. My main gaming group has always joked that if an army came out that benefited from rolling 'ones' I'd be unstoppable. :D

One more word on the dice thing... I have had moments of pure chaotic induced rage where I have chucked very expensive cubes of chessex dice in garbage bins. Two things come to haunt you about that little move: 1- It gets very expensive replacing 'fancy' dice every month. Even non-fancy dice. And 2- My friends started fishing the dice they liked out of the garbage. THere's nothing worse than playing someone and noticing they're using your dice from a week ago .... AND beating you with them! It doesn't happen often but it does.

The thing is right now I'm using BnC dice that were made up special for the Mods here. They were... expensive. I can't get rid of them. lol

Okay... past the dice issues.....

I think you're on to a solid start for your army, Prot

Yes, thank you minigun. I had a foundation and an idea of what the army should... feel like, but you helped me get it to a point where it has function as well as form. Thanks for that.

The army has real flow to it now. It's certainly not unbeatable but it has some flexibility, staying power, and some tricks to make up for lack of numbers.

Glad to see someone is using Huron. I inquired about his effectiveness recently and was kinda surprised at all the negativity towards him.

Farseer, I think that negativity comes from the fact a lot of the Chaos special characters come just before that era where special characters got really good.... IMHO we still only have one truly good special Character (Khârn) BUT Huron with Warp Time is at times capable of great things, just a little pricey. You can still do so much with the Daemon Prince.

I want to get some more experience with this list under my belt.... before I make any changes, BUT this is really looking like my 'Red Corsair' base list. It's pretty darn fun. I'm still frustrated by limitations. The way wound allocation goes and the fact is... IF the wrong guy gets hit, he drops a stick with an icon on it... and all the sudden all the worshipers of said icon start to forget why they liked Slaanesh or Khorne, or whatever the mark is. That is possibly one of the most frustrating, and completely unbelievable things of the entire codex. (not too mention they priced the icons too high whereas a 'mark' is relative to squad size so it doesn't have to be overpriced, because you can't abuse it in a 20 man squad)....

Anyway, yea the icons are silly in function, but otherwise it's a fun list. I'm starting to embrace the ideals of Huron.

The Graham McNeil story in Heroes of the Space Marines with Huron in it completely took me by surprise. He appeared charismatic, powerful, and rightfully chaotic. It's helped inspire me and given me motivation to paint Corsairs with actual thought of 'what chapter did this guy come from?'. It's turned into a fun project.

Yes, thank you minigun. I had a foundation and an idea of what the army should... feel like, but you helped me get it to a point where it has function as well as form. Thanks for that.

Anytime! Helping others is always nice and if nothing else, it gives you a sounding board for your own armies and ideas.

I'm starting to embrace the ideals of Huron.

The Graham McNeil story in Heroes of the Space Marines with Huron in it completely took me by surprise. He appeared charismatic, powerful, and rightfully chaotic. It's helped inspire me and given me motivation to paint Corsairs with actual thought of 'what chapter did this guy come from?'. It's turned into a fun project.

In the end isn't that whats is all about? Making up an army that you're happy playing that doesn't totally suck? ^_^

Archived