Deploying empty transports

ExarPucc

Yes... you can.

You cant put anything else in a dedicated transport when your deploying it, but you can certainly put them in empty- its a very good tactic against some enemies if your playing an all DP force.

But do remember that you must declare what reserve units are attached and embarked, and how they are entering during the deployment phase, and cannot change your mind later.

You do? Where in the BRB does it say that?

Pg 67, Dedicated Transports; Pg 94, Paragraph 4, Preparing Reserves

FYI - You can also split a unit with a Dedicated Transport into combat squads at the beginning of the game. Then place one combat squad in the transport and deploy the other squad normally. For this, see Pg 51 of the Codex: SM. Thus, a Tac Squad w/IC & Razorback could split into squads placing one group in the Razorback and the other on an objective. If the IC is Shrike, you could Infiltrate the 2nd squad (although the Razorback could not Infiltrate; it is a separate unit now). Or you could put Squad #1 in a Drop Pod entering Turn 1 or by Deep Strike. The squads need not enter at the same time. This has an even greater impact in Planetstrike.

I feel that it is sporting to inform your opponent of all of these decisions at the outset of the game. Better to deal with concerns then, than on Turn 3.

Pg 67, Dedicated Transports; Pg 94, Paragraph 4, Preparing Reserves

I feel that it is sporting to inform your opponent of all of these decisions at the outset of the game. Better to deal with concerns then, than on Turn 3.

Groovy, cheers. Added to my list of rules that needs written reminders :-D

I always inform my opponent of everything. to the point of usually having a printed copy of my army to give him as soon as deployment is over...

Or you could put Squad #1 in a Drop Pod entering Turn 1 or by Deep Strike. The squads need not enter at the same time. This has an even greater impact in Planetstrike.

Thats not quite so. Combat squading is done when a unit deploys, deploying is when you put it on the table. Holding a unit in reserves specificly states that the unit does NOT deploy and is instead held in reserves. As such while in reserve the units is always a single 10 man unit, and cannot split into the two 5 man squads untill you put them on the board (aka deploy them)

I think this confusoin comes about because the begining of the game is called deployment, as oposed to deployment phase. Just like how not everymode shoots during the shooting phase, not every unit is deployed during deployment.

Frosty,

I did a careful reading of your point, and now agree with you on the example of the unit with a Drop Pod. This is due to the Combat Squad rules as it pertains to Drop Pods. Thank you for the clarification.

However, I think that you agree with me on the other examples. Is that correct?

Frosty,

I did a careful reading of your point, and now agree with you on the example of the unit with a Drop Pod. This is due to the Combat Squad rules as it pertains to Drop Pods. Thank you for the clarification.

However, I think that you agree with me on the other examples. Is that correct?

I think so. You can split into combat squads during the deployment phase and have one start in the razorback and one be footsloging, and they can enter at differnt parts of the board, you are 100% correct there.

However you cannot hold them in reserve and then do the same. This is because you must declair what is embarked when you declair it is in reserve. And you cant combat squad untill deployed, thus it is a 10 man unit while in reserves and cannot fit in the razorback when you must declair if it is in the razorback.

Esentialy a unit is always the 10 man unit in reserves, and cannot split into squads untill you make their reserves roll, at that point you can split them as you see fit. With the exception of droppods (dut to a special stipulation in the combat squad rules) no combat squad will come in from reserves in a transport.

I personaly AM fine with the house rule of declaring combat squads when you put something in reserve, but then you have to declare ALL combat squads and cannot change your mind (exception being droppods still). Just be aware that it is a house rule and actualy removes the tactical flexability of not having to decide untill they actualy come on the board.

Archived