Pig of Sparta's WIPs

Greetings brothers, I have decided to begin a thread similar to my Hall of Honour one, but that I can use for any and all WIPs. Quite frankly the number of times I start but don't finish something is embarassing, so if there's only one thread from now on it'll look better, and make it easier for everyone in the long run as well :P. Once I begin work on painting the Thunder Hammer Captain I'll begin posting him here too.

So what do I have for my first offering in my new way of doing things? Well after clearing out a load of stuff from my old man's loft, and sorting through bits boxes I'd forgotten I had, I caught Space Wolf fever pretty bad (I'm so easily distracted! :lol:).... so without further ado may I present Bjorn the Fell-Handed, circa m31:

http://i347.photobucket.com/albums/p456/pigofsparta/Bjornbare1.jpg

http://i347.photobucket.com/albums/p456/pigofsparta/Bjornbare2.jpg

http://i347.photobucket.com/albums/p456/pigofsparta/Bjornbare3.jpg

http://i347.photobucket.com/albums/p456/pigofsparta/Bornbare4.jpg

I know he's not especially wolf-y but I didn't want to overwhelm the mini, and I think the spartan-ness reinforces the heresy era feel. Accordingly, I'll be using the Wolves pre-heresy colours for Bjorn, and possibly trying to weather and damage his armour a little, which could be interesting as I've never managed to do it well before.

I'll have more pics of things coming soon (a bareheaded metal vanguard veteran amongst other things) but in the meantime, please let me know what you think of Bjorn

James

:) Now that's harsh, 225 views and no comments! I wonder why nobody loves me?

Love is for the weak :D

It's a pretty good model so far, although because it's wolves I was expecting a ton of wolfy bitz that everyone overloads their wolves with...

And where did the LC come from?

Ha ha! very true! The LC is from the Space Marine Commander set, if you'd like one I think I have a spare one kicking around somewhere :D.

I've deliberately avoided going over the top with 'wolves' components, I wanted quite a plain mini that I use to play with techniques. Infact if I'm honest it was seeing the chest piece that inspired me and the rest just fell into place. Hopefully though, once he's painted he'll would be instantly obvious as one of Leman Russ's sons. I'm not saying huge wolf pelts, tails and teeth aren't cool, but they weren't for this incarnation of Bjorn, as he's still relatively young.

James

Yeah, nice model - get him painted!

What will he be, a veteran / sergeant of some sort?

I note your avatar looks like an eagle warrior - do you have an EW army? I've just started one (literally have a scout and a tactical marine painted so far...)

no offense intended but you have just glued a space marine model together, i mean there isn't really much to comment on. - although, have you shaved a "spotty veteran shoulder pad" for on of them??

i'll be watching this space to see what you come up with for later models.

+_+

@ twistinthunder: Thanks mate. As soon as it stops pishing rain I'll get him undercoated and start work honest. I won't even get distracted by the new bastion I bought today. Well I'll try not to anyway. I got some new brushes though, so the urge to paint something really really cooly is almost overwhelming :lol:.

@ T0MMY: CHeers, see above for why I'm not painting just yet though. He'll just be a display mini, but for gaming purposes, and not knowing how the new Wolves 'dex is working exactly (I only know what's on BOLS) I'd say he counts as either a veteran sarge or a wolf guard in power armour. Unfortunately I don't have an Eagle Warriors army, mine are Sons of Orar one. The mini in my avatar is a display one I painted a while ago and can be found here. I have a soft spot for the Eagle Warriors though so I may revisit them in future, in the mean time I'd love to see how yours look though ^_^.

James

Ha ha! very true! The LC is from the Space Marine Commander set, if you'd like one I think I have a spare one kicking around somewhere ^_^.

I've deliberately avoided going over the top with 'wolves' components, I wanted quite a plain mini that I use to play with techniques. Infact if I'm honest it was seeing the chest piece that inspired me and the rest just fell into place. Hopefully though, once he's painted he'll would be instantly obvious as one of Leman Russ's sons. I'm not saying huge wolf pelts, tails and teeth aren't cool, but they weren't for this incarnation of Bjorn, as he's still relatively young.

James

Well that makes sense, paint it well :D

And I'll pass on the offer, I've been converting termi LC's to be normal LC's... with little success for any right-handers :lol:

No bother Huberator :o.

Just a quick photo update on Bjorn, his basecoat grey is on and I'm starting to block in the details now:

http://i347.photobucket.com/albums/p456/pigofsparta/bjorngreybasecoat.jpg

James

Awesome, just awesome.

I have to agree that the Early Wolves most likely wouldnt have had a lot of wolfie bits either.

Cant wait to see it finished.

Keep up the great work.

I love the nod to Bjorn. Would have been nice to see him helmet less ala the HH artbooks. I think a small pelt or tail would still be fitting without overwhelming. Keep in mind, those things are like trophys or wards, as we wolves are superstitious. There is a method to our madness with respect to the hairy stuff.

@ Gladius30: I'm not sure he wore a beakie either, but I wanted to keep his face covered as aside from the artwork in the Heresy Art book Bjorn hasn't really been pictured before I don't think so I wanted to keep the 'facelessness' of his current condition evident :).

Btw the studded shoulder pad is available in the tactical and combat squad boxed sets, although you only get one, which is kinda a shame.

@ twistinthunder: yeah, I've grown to loath the blue/grey as well, plus I figured that getting the grey right might prove a challenge, which I'm always up for :).

@ spjaco: Thanks brother. An update will be forthcoming at some point over the weekend.

@ Warhorse47: Y'know I wasn't so sure at first, but it kinda grew on me until I finally just went with it.

@ Lord Ragnarok: I'll see what I can do trophy-wise. I think all I've got is wolf tails, which I'm not sure how I could incorporate (hanging from the butt of the bolt pistol?)

@ Brother Tuditanus: Thanks brother, I'll try.

@ Khrangar: I actually prefer mark iv but mark vi is a close second :) I'm actually enjoying painting something different from mark vii/modified mark vi for a change :cry:.

James

I agree with Lord Ragnarok he would look much more heroic without the helmet.As for what Bjorn looks like there,s a representation of him on Bjorn,s drednought banner ,slaying some kind of monster.That,s gotta be a place to start.He looks alot like the head out of the SW spru .keep it up.

OX

@ Brother Tuditanus: Thanks for the reference pic. I've found a head that will probably do the trick - if I can sculpt a beard on it, I'll give it a try <_<.

@ OXIDE: Thanks brother, I'm getting there, slowly but surely ;).

A couple of quick update photos:

http://i347.photobucket.com/albums/p456/pigofsparta/BjornCodexGrey1.jpg

http://i347.photobucket.com/albums/p456/pigofsparta/BjornBackpack.jpg

As you can see I'm now adding the next layer of colour to the armour, once that's done I'll be going back to the metal and black areas to begin highlighting.

James

If you can spare one, I'd be really grateful.... (looks hopefully at Brother Tuditanus) I've got some other wolf parts you could have in trade if you like. Incidentally, I'd love to see the wolf scout, I've always had a place in my heart for the kin of Russ (they were my first army many many moons ago)

James

http://photos-h-2.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-...9_4167633_n.jpg

I didn't think to photo before the primer. But there he is... He will be part of a True-scale pre-heresy force, the rest of the marines being TS'd something like so:

http://i177.photobucket.com/albums/w224/hairyyahoo/P1010101.jpg

At least they will be if I can get a hold of Hairy again and ask him for size on spacers, etc.. And I may only do 1 spacer rather than 2 in the legs, have to see how they size up with just one, etc... But you get the idea I hope.

And shoot me a PM with a messenger contact. I'm sorely lacking anything but the Grey Hunter/Gladius style power sword in wolf bits, could definitely arrange a trade!!!!

Think that could be the wrong link you just posted Brother Tuditanus, it's a photo of a cat driving!

I'm liking the look of the TS'd Grey Hunter :), and the blending on the painted mini is amazing. I don't use an online messenger service I'm afraid, so I can't PM you a contact, sorry.

James

Archived