Pig of Sparta's WIPs

@ Biohazard and Calimehtar :When it stops raining long enough for me to actually get outside and undercoat him, I've now got three alternate heads for him( the two pictured, plus the half-bionic marine head) I think I'll paint all three and see what looks best.

Update on Terminator Squad Cervantes, the shading on the red armour plates is now done, so it's on to the home stretch of red, white, gold and details now :lol:

James

I gotta vote for the helmet on your bolter marine, but that's just personal taste. :lol: I'd love to see you put your golden magic paintbrush to a bareheaded rank-and-file marine, though.

Also, the pose on that guy, with the angled basing gubbins, makes the normally-static tactical legs look very dynamic. Consider the idea borrowed. :HQ:

@AdeptusDavidus: feel free to borrow the pose ;). I'm gonna paint 3 heads for him, 2 bare and the helmeted one, so I'll put pics up of all three when he's done and then pick the best one.

After some um-ing and ah-ing I bought a chaplain for my army this morning with an aim to converting him slightly so I could use him as a 'counts as' Cassius. A few mins rummaging in my bitz box, followed by some hacking and filing yielded this:

http://i347.photobucket.com/albums/p456/pigofsparta/countsasInfernus.jpg

so my question today is, does it look enough like a master crafted bolter-flamer combi weapon to count as Infernus (with a suitable new name of course)?

oh, and it finally stopped raining long enough for me to undercoat the bolter marine so I'll start on him soon.

James

In my humble opinion, I think that's a great looking combi-flamer, one of the most sensible conversions of that weapon I saw to date.

To answer your question, I think it very much does look like a master crafted gun, in least part because it's a well executed conversion.

I'm certain that I'm not the only one who thinks this way!

Keep it coming, mate!

Cheers

Cracking conversion James, there is one thing missing from it (and yes im being a fussy bugger!) but i reckon it needs an igniter line, unless theres one on there and i cant see it! Ooh my FW dread turned up, so when i pull the proverbial finger i will take some pics of it and my red marine and whatever else is on my desk that i've been tinkering with and post them up in the next couple of days!

John

@ son of nocturne: that's good to hear, I can't wait to see those pics ;). The great thing about this flamer nozzle is that the igniter line is hidden under the muzzle shroud, so i's tucked safely outta the way.

@ Calimehtar: thanks brother, hopefully I'll have some pics of the chaplain wielding it up soon.

Evening Brothers! I've finally got round to starting on the bolter-wielding marine. Below are a couple of shots of how he looks just now, admittedly he isn't much to look at, but they give an idea of how he's going to look(ish)

http://i347.photobucket.com/albums/p456/pigofsparta/impfistbody1.jpg

http://i347.photobucket.com/albums/p456/pigofsparta/impfistbody2.jpg

as you can see, I'm now in the process of tidying up the shading on the yellow armour plates. (I'm starting from the legs and working up, it's most notice-able on the left leg just now)

as usual c&c is welcomed (not that there's much to c&c on I admit)

James

@ son of nocturne: Thanks mate, it's not quite as smooth as I'd like though, it still needs a couple more thinned layers on it :P

@ tagsta: thanks brother. I'm taking my time with him, but hopefully the end result will be worth it :).

My chaplain arrived this morning so after some quick snipping and filing may I present Chaplain (insert name here) 'counts as' Cassius, of the Sons of Orar 5th Company:

http://i347.photobucket.com/albums/p456/pigofsparta/countsasCassius1.jpg

http://i347.photobucket.com/albums/p456/pigofsparta/countsasCassius2.jpg

(you can see the hidden igniter line on the flamer in these pics)

I may or may not keep the eagle back pack, I just figured if I was counting him as being especially heroic, he should at least be a bit more 'blinged' up.

I've also dusted of my ancient (8-9years) Land Raider and stuck it in some Mr Muscle, so hopefully that will be gracing the hallowed pages of this forum soon too.

James

@ marine: Thanks, I actually used a Forge World Death Korps of Krieg flamer to make it, I wanted something that looked a little different, and I also found that it was more practical since the igniter line wasn't dangling in the way of the bolter muzzle :cuss.

@ Perry T: The yellow on the Imperial Fist is actually Vomit Brown over a Skull White undercoat. I find it easier to work with than yellow paints, and it gives a nice solid 'golden' kinda yellow that you can highlight up from.

Imperial Fist Update: I was going to post this photo this evening:

http://i347.photobucket.com/albums/p456/pigofsparta/heads1.jpg

showing the start I'd made on the head choices for the marine, but as the kids were really well behaved and went to sleep I had some more time to paint so I can post this one instead:

http://i347.photobucket.com/albums/p456/pigofsparta/heads2.jpg

the helmet obviously isn't finished yet, but the others pretty much are, there's a couple of things I've noticed looking at the pics that need tidied up, and the neck seal on the masked head needs doing but I'm pretty happy with how they've turned out. Now my back is killing me and my vision is all blurry from focusing so close-up!

I'm now trying to decide what company he's from, as the eyes on the helmet will be painted a different colour so as to add a little interest. He's going to be from either the 2nd, 3rd, 4th or 5th companies, but I'm not sure which colour would look best on the knee pad and shoulder guard bands. Any suggestions will be appreciated :)

James

thats some pretty impressive faces there dude, nice work.

I personally would use the bionic face, rather than a helmet (lacks personality) and the masked face. the only time i would like to see the helmet used would be if you were gonna do some freehand on it to denote a rank. otherwise bare heads add more personality and character to the model imho...

i dont know much about the different make up of the companies or in fairness even their colours (i play space wolves so anyting goes for me), but my friend uses the 3rd company, so because of that and the simple fact that 3 is the magic number that'd be my choice.

nice yellow by the way, looking forward to seeing it finished.

I like the third head best, very characterful to my mind, and i'd go 4th Co. as i reckon the green trims make a nice contrast to the rest of the scheme

very nice PoS!

Lysimachus

Personally, I think the red of Third Company would contrast the best. Alternatively, you could keep the yellow color (because it's so nice :) ) and it would still look great as Second Company.

I know it's a lot to ask, but could you possibly record your yellow recipe? Thanks!

Thanks for the comments guys. I'm going to go for the bionic head I think. The more I look at it the more I'm certain that the third head looks like Scorpion from Mortal Kombat. I'm thinking though that I might finish up the helmet, paint some markings on it, trim off the neck seal and try and get it on the marines' belt or perhaps on the base somewhere.

The recipie for the yellow is deliciously simple:

Undercoat Skull White,

Basecoat of Vomit Brown,

Shade recesses with Devlan Mud,

Tidy up shading with more Vomit Brown,

Highlighting, which is still a ways off on this mini is possible in two ways, either using Bleached Bone or Skull White mixed in to the Vomit Brown.

Hope this helps ;)

I'm afraid to say I've been lured away from my Marines temporarily by the promis of presitige and prizes in the latest Bitz-Box painting competition:- XENOS! If anyone would like to see what I'm working on by all means PM me, in the mean time though I will keep working on other stuff too as my 'in tray' is building up again. On a good note though I've nearly finished Terminator Squad Cervates for my Sons army, all that remains to do on them is the chapter insignia and maybe some liturgies painted on the armour, then the final layers of white on the shoulder guards ;)

Cheers

James

That Ork looks absolutely fantastic, but let's see some work on that 'Fist! At least once you've finished the competition or whatever it is that involves the Greenskins. And I really like the third head, very characterful and imposing. It's surprising to see how many people voted for it, yet you still lean towards the second head. Why is that? I mean you said it reminded you of Scorpion from Mortal Kombat, but that isn't necessarily a bad thing as he's one hell of a character.

Archived