Pig of Sparta's WIPs

Salutations Brothers! it's good to be back in my thrice blessed power armour agai after mingling with xenos scum. I have undertaken the rituals of cleansing and communed my soul with the Emperor in pennance for my deviance.

I've done some further work on the Imperial Fists marine I posted up a wee while ago and photos will be coming soon. In the mean time I wonder if I might get some opinions on an objective marker that I'm thinking of using as another competition entry (at my local gaming group)

Lock and Load:

http://i347.photobucket.com/albums/p456/pigofsparta/LockandLoad1.jpg

I realise it still needs some work, so any comments or crits would be appreciated.

James

The pose looks a little too casual to me with the leg thrown up on a crate. I would suggest some type of battle damage to the left leg so it looks as though he is wounded but still holding an objective. Just my 2 cents and everything else about him looks good to me.

I really like the pose, but would have to second what mikhail says, I think it would look a lot better with perhaps a bandage round his raised leg, which would also explain why he has been left to guard the ammo. Other than that, excellent, and I am also very jealous of your yellow

Thanks for the comments guys. I like the idea that IronDuke and Mikhail put forward about having some kind of bandage or wound on his left leg, and I might give it a try, but when I originally envisaged this mini he was tooling up in preparation to get back into a fight. It doesn't really show too well in the pic but his pistol holster is empty, hence the bolt pistol within easy reach on the crate beside him, he's re-stocking his ammo before diving back into the fray. However on reading that back I realise how that also fits really well with him being wounded and left to guard the stash. I guess you can never have too many guns when guarding a fixed position ^_^.

I'm probably going to be doing some G/S work on him tonight, adding some treads to the sole of his boot and making him a neck, so I might have a play and see if I can make a convincing bandage. My only fear with this is messing it up and being stuck with an un-usable mini so it might not happen.....

@ Iron Duke: the recipe for the yellow is on page four if you want to give it a try.

@ Fire Lord Captain: I thought it might make him look a little more confident having him looking some-place else while he was loading the mag, as though he was so comfortable doing it he was doing it by feel, but I'll try moving his head and see how it looks.

James

They might relax in Saving Private Ryan, but in the grim darkness of the far future? I'm not so sure.

Íf you paint/model him more wounded, you could make it look like some sort of last stand. Like he is the last survivor of a squad of scouts that have the task to protect some ammunition crates or some sort of warehouse.

And there he is, loading up his last ammo pack, looking at the advancing enemy, ready to take as many lives with him as possible, dying like any proud Astartes would want to.

^^

Looks interesting, I'd use the salt dip method and reposition his left leg slightly by twisting his foot outwards and bend it at the knee towards his body to give it a more realistic and relaxed position. Then you can lower his left arm slightly so the bolter looks a bit more like it's resting in his lap. You can still have him reloading it or maybe even stripping it down performing cleaning rituals. I would also have him looking down towards the bolter as well.

Thanks for the comments brothers. I've begun painting so thought I'd put up a couple of update photos. At the moment I'm still blocking in the basic colours, but you should hopefully be able to see where I'm going with it.

I've not gone for the bandage/wounded leg idea because although I really like it, I wasn't confident I could sculpt it well enough for it to look good. If that disappoints then I apologise, but I didn't want an unuseable mini. Anyway enough babbling, on to the photos:

http://i347.photobucket.com/albums/p456/pigofsparta/LandLbasiccolours1.jpg

http://i347.photobucket.com/albums/p456/pigofsparta/LandLbasiccolours2.jpg

I'm taking my time working on this guy because as I said before he's gonna be a painting comp entry, but hopefully I'll have more pics up soon, including some of the base (I need to borrow some Catachan Green for the crates so it's not started yet...)

cheers

James

Nice progress, and I don't blame you for not risking the green stuff, I probably woudn't have either.

Cheers for the recipe on your yellow, I have been messing around with it slightly, but was very helpful. More pictures now please!

Ha ha ha! It honestly didn't occur to me how daft he looked in those photos til I read those comments Keyoz Devastrius and sword brethren and if I had the time, and money to get another one of these I think it'd be worth the effort to convert him so that he actually was doing a cossack dance, just for comedy value :tu:. Unfortunately I don't just now, so this one will have to suffice.

@ Terminatorinhell: I'll keep that in mind just incase I do try anohter one of these, thanks mate :).

@ Iron Duke: Ask and ye shall recieve (actually I was gonna upload these today anyway...) I have update photos below:

http://i347.photobucket.com/albums/p456/pigofsparta/LandLnearlydonefront.jpg

http://i347.photobucket.com/albums/p456/pigofsparta/LandLnearlydoneback.jpg

There's a few bits left to do on him, the winged skull on the bolter, and the skulls on his vambraces and the one on the combat blade scabbard. I'm not sure wheter to do them 'white' or gold. I might go for golds on the bolter and scabbard and white on the vambraces. I also need to finish and lightly muddy up his boots too.

Hopefully you'll notice that he has stubble on his head as though he's recently had a 'buzz cut'. From the outset I wanted to try and portray a Scout as they are depicted in the fluff artwork, particularly the illustration that accompanies their entry in C:SM. I hope that I've convincingly achieved the stubble look on him as iut was my first attempt at doing it.

So as usual any comments or crits are very welcome, and I'll hopefully have more (maybe finished) photos of him soon

James

Looking brilliant!

Yup, it does indeed look like he's just had his no 1 all over!

Can I ask how you achieved it?

I might have to pluck up the courage to try it myself!!

Can't wait to see him finished, also looking forward to seeing more of your Imperial Fist marine... :down:

For those who are interested, if you'd like to head on over to the Hall of Honour, you'll be able to see the completed Scout in all his finished glory.

@ sword bretheren: Glad you liked it :). Hopefully now the final layer of white is on it looks even smoother.

@ Warhorse47 : Naturally, he couldn't do the Cossack Dance without it :Elite:

@Melchiah I'm pleased to hear that his stubble looks good. It was fairly simple to do, and the steps are as follows:

1.paint up you mini's head and face till it's finished.

2.then add a tiny amount of your last layer of flesh tone (in my case Bleached Bone) to a brown or grey paint (it's entirely up to you, I chose Codex Grey). Water it down so it flows from your brush real easy.

3. Wash it over where you want the stubble to be (hair or facial hair) but be careful to keep it to places where hair actually grows.

4. re-highlight to blend the stubble into the skin. This bit can be tricky, I lightly dry brushed the stubble with Bleached Bone to get it to look like it was part of his head. If it's on a face then I'd just highlight the prominant features again, I've not tried it yet, but I will do at some point :)

Hope this helps

James

@ Melciah and Fire Lord Captain: Thanks, glad to hear others are gona try it out too. I think it adds a little touch of personality to mini's when extra details like this are included. I'd love to see how you get on with it :cuss.

@ twistinthunder: thanks mate, I'm glad he's being well recived, he'd been blu-tacked together for a while now so I think the effort has been worth it. As for why my mini's faces look zombiefied the only thing I can think could be causing it is the lighting of the photos. I'll try taking pics in the day time next time and see if that improves them any :)

Now brothers I'm after some feed back again I'm afraid. In an ongoing project I'm refurbishing my old Land Raider. I've decided to make a few changes though so I wouldn't mind hearing some thoughts on them. Without firther ado here are the photos:

http://i347.photobucket.com/albums/p456/pigofsparta/LandRaiderconcept1.jpg

http://i347.photobucket.com/albums/p456/pigofsparta/LandRaiderconcept2.jpg

http://i347.photobucket.com/albums/p456/pigofsparta/LandRaiderconcept3.jpg

as you can see from the pics it's still very much WIP. I'll finish G/S-ing the other track guard tomorrow night (the blu-tack is only there to support the plating while the glue dries). The thing that's causing the most hassle at the moment is the huge space I've created 'inside' the sponson buy moving the Lascannon. I'm not really sure what to do about it because no matter how much I look at it I think it looks a bit daft. BUt I'd love to get some feedback on the whole thing, so please feel free to leave comments and crits.

cheers

James

Archived