Pig of Sparta's WIPs

Could place a large battery or perhaps a high-tech targeting thingy on the inside of the sponson to balance off the lascannons width perhaps.

Failing that, as it's a kinda Mk1/Mk2 mashup you could attempt to show the lower-tech-ness (new word everyone, NEW WORD!) of it by doing some heavy duty power cables coming from the lascannons into the hull of the LR via the weirdy armoured backplate thingy that's inside the sponson. It'd fill the gap a little and perhaps make the sponsons look less flimsy.

Thanks for your comments blackbabyjesus and twistinthunder. I think I've solved the 'gap problem' as well as the issues I was having fitting the twin Lascannon back in to the sponsons. I used a pair of predator heavy bolter ammo boxes to create powercell stacks for the lascannon, then put a couple of sensors from the Imperial Bastion kit on the fron of these. If anyone wants more detailed photos of these, then please just let me know.

Here's some updated photos:

http://i347.photobucket.com/albums/p456/pigofsparta/Mk25LandRaider1.jpg

http://i347.photobucket.com/albums/p456/pigofsparta/Mk25LandRaider2.jpg

http://i347.photobucket.com/albums/p456/pigofsparta/Mk25LandRaider3.jpg

http://i347.photobucket.com/albums/p456/pigofsparta/Mk25LandRaider4.jpg

I know the undercoat isn't uniform, but as I'm going to be using Mechrite Red to basecoat the mini I'm not too bothered about that (my can Skull White ran out just as I finished spraying it). Also the G/s work is not perfect, but I'm happy with it. I debated for quite some time whether it was worth the risk doing the work that I've done, and I hope that you'll agree on seeing he results that it was worth it.

A (very) brief overview of the history of the Mk2.5 Land Raider:

The Mk2.5 was a shortlived variant of the Land Raider as it was quickly superceded by the now commonplace Mk3. It was more of a prototype of the new sponson pattern and hull design than anything else. Few examples now remain in active service, although those chapters that do still have them diligently maintain them and occasionally still commit them to the crucible of battle.

So as usual, please feel free to comment or criticise, (hopefully better photos will garner more of a response :lol:) as painting will begin once I have finished the command squad I'm currently painting.

James

Thanks ShinyRhino, They're actually old Leman Russ turret hatches, I was never that big a fan of them, but I liked the 'old school' look they added to the Land Raider, plus I'm not the biggest fan of marine vehicle's 'split hatches'.

I've been holding off on giving you any commentary, as I'm waiting for the finished version of that yellow marine, and I've been going with the clearly-erroneous theory that withholding comments will make you post completed photos. :P

I love that Land Raider, though. The only thing I might've done differently would be to shorten the sponson tops & bottoms, and leave out the sensor gubbins inboard of the lascannons.

It's not an erroneous theory AdeptusDavidus. If I'm honest abbout it, I really have been posting up far too many things and then not finishing them. I might actually dig out the 'Fists marine and do some work on him tomorrow on my lunch break.

As for the Land Raider, I'm glad it's being well recieved. It's my biggest use of Green Stuff yet and I was a little worried that it wasn't that great a conversion. I added the sensor gubbinz on the inside of the soponsons to cover two small gaps that were left betwen the battery packs and the lascannon, as I couldn't bring myself to get green stuff-ing again, but I can see why they don't exactly fit :).

James

• 3 weeks later...

Evening(or is it morning now) Brothers. I wondered if might get a few opinions on a test I've done for Space Wolves armour that I've painted. I've shamelessly plundered Kapturowski's method from him, but had to substitute some colours as I didn't have them.

Incidentally Kapturowski's method can be found here:Kapturowski's 13th Co. Space Wolves I'd recommend checking it out :tu:

Without further ado here's the tester:

http://i347.photobucket.com/albums/p456/pigofsparta/SpaceWolvesTester.jpg

Obviously it's not the best 'test mini' in the world, but it was all I could find that was already undercoated black (it's not stopped raining here in about 2 weeks so I couldn't undercoat anything especially to try this).

So I'm just looking to get some opinions on this if possible. I've got a Lone Wolf mini I've put together, but I don't want to start painting before I'm certain it looks ok, as I won't be able to buy any more bits for a while.

James

Thanks for the comments guys.

@ Adeptus Davidus: The 'Fist is coming, I promise I will get back to him soon ;).

@ Brother Loring: I'm not sure if I've read you're post wrong but the Land Raider is for my Sons of Orar. The Wolves scheme is for a Lone Wolf I've put together. Although I'm now thinking about asking for a box of Wolf Guard for christmas, partly cause the bits look so good and partly cause I want to do a rock hard looking unit in this colour now, I think they'd look really good :o

Despite the weather conspiring against me I managed to get the Lone Wolf undercoated this evening (my ever-amazing other half let me spray indoors(ish) because it's only about 2 degrees C here and it's snowing.

Once I get going I'll get some photos up.

cheers

James

Despite the weather conspiring against me I managed to get the Lone Wolf undercoated this evening (my ever-amazing other half let me spray indoors(ish) because it's only about 2 degrees C here and it's snowing.

James

Dear James, 2 degrees C should NOT be a problem to a true Space Wolf Player, nor to a Spartan one... :huh:

Now seriously, your test is amazing, I would say its cleaner than Kapturowski´s look (IMO drybrushing is not a good choice when painting power armor, although their SW look very nice).

How did you exactly do it?

Thanks Ekgar_Wolf :P you're right or course it should be cold enough to freeze mercury before I begin to complain, but when the weather interferes with my hoby time it makes me mad :huh:

I've steered clear of drybrushing things for a while now, mainly because the general consesus seemed to be that it was a basic painting technique that was best mastered early and then forgotten, as it never achieved professional looking results (except for things like fur, hair etc). However I've noticed more and more people starting to use it again and once I saw Kapturowski's stuff I knew I had to try and emulate it, but I didn't have all the neccesary paints so I figured I'd try with what I had.

The method is exactly the same as described in Kapturowski's tutorial, but the paints are slightly different.

Here's the list with my substitutes

Shadow Grey instead of Adepetus Battle Grey

Space Wolves Grey instead of Codex Grey

Skull White instead of Fortress Grey

Badab Black

Dark Flesh instead of Vermin Brown

Scorched Brown

I'm not sure if Skull White is to light to use for the prominant highlights, but once I get going on the Lone Wolf (who is going to be a proper test mini, if I'm really good Santa might bring me some Wolf Guard) I'll be able to see better.

James

Double post I'm afraid, but I thought I'd stick up some pics of the WIP Lone Wolf I've been rabbiting on about. He is now my official Space Wolves test mini.

http://i347.photobucket.com/albums/p456/pigofsparta/SWtestmini1.jpghttp://i347.photobucket.com/albums/p456/pigofsparta/SWtestmini2.jpghttp://i347.photobucket.com/albums/p456/pigofsparta/SWtestmini3.jpg

Any thoughts or comments would be appreciated, but please bear in mind he's a little way off being finished yet :huh:

cheers

James

Very nice gritty feel to it so far, love the double handed axe, is that a default off the space wolf sprue, or is that a conversion? (If the latter please share ;))

Also, I like the gold, nice and bright. Whats going on with the shoulder pads? Are they going to stay black, or have some brighter colour to brighten the mini up? Same question for the axe head really, I think it just needs one or the other to be brighter, to really set the whole thing off.

Cheers

James II

Wow, I think that's the first time someone's commented as soon as I've posted! ;) Thanks IronDuke. I was thinking of trying Yellow or Red on the Shoulder pads, drybrushed up in the same way as the rest of the mini to keep the gritty look constant. As for the axe (which is straight out of the Wolf Pack kit) I was thinking of having a bluish hue to the blade, but keeping it metallic so as not to be too flashy.

James

Wow, i like it a lot. There's this purple undertone to his armor through all of that Grey and blue that i really like. It makes the armor feel cold if that makes sense. I think a very rich red would look great on his shoulders as well. If he is the last surviving member of his pack then you're free to make up a squad marking that you don't have to replicate on any other models.

I guess it depends on the rest of your army. If you're going to paint all of your other wolves with red shoulderpads go yellow, if you paint them all yellow then do the lone wolf in red. I think the combination of the gritty armor, the blue tinted blade, and a contrasting shoulderpad will look great.

@ Brother Loring: I'm not sure if I've read you're post wrong but the Land Raider is for my Sons of Orar. The Wolves scheme is for a Lone Wolf I've put together. Although I'm now thinking about asking for a box of Wolf Guard for christmas, partly cause the bits look so good and partly cause I want to do a rock hard looking unit in this colour now, I think they'd look really good :D

I get it now... I had to read your reply and the thread again about 3 times before I understood. Grey tested for Lone wolf, but 'bit' was from LR for SoO. My bad. Either way, my comment stands true and it looks great. Glowiness would still be appreciated where possible (eyes I suppose). The final(ish) product looks great! I think I prefer the idea of red on the shoulder - much easier to achieve too! Or, perhaps a very reddish/brass-like metal??

Thanks for the comments guys. I've got a couple of new photos of how he looks just now. Despite the majority opinion that red would suit (which I was completely unaware of until just now, incidentally) I've gone for yellow for his shoulder pads. Hopefully the results will not disappoint :tu:. I thought long and hard (well about 3 hours) about it, and despite wanting to show off a bit decided that I'd use icons from the SW transfer sheet so yellow would contrast more with the black markings. He's still a Lone Wolf, just an ex-Wolf Guard one ;).

http://i347.photobucket.com/albums/p456/pigofsparta/SWtestmini4.jpghttp://i347.photobucket.com/albums/p456/pigofsparta/SWtestmini5.jpg

Still a few bits and pieces left to do, mainly finishing up his axe, and the wolf teeth and rune amulets, as well as the gems on his knees and belt (which I think will be red to contrast the yellow). I might re-do his facial hair a bit as well, it seems to be blending into his armour a bit too much. I've had a few people tell me that the last few faces I've painted have looked a bit zombie-ish, hopefully my experimentation with using grey in flesh tomes has paid off here and he looks a bit healthier.

I've fallen for Wolves pretty hard now. So much so that I've temporarily abandoned my GB entry. As much as I'd love to, I just can't afford to start a new army just now. However, my brother has kindly agreed to get me some Wolf Guard for Christmas, so this mini is the test mini for them. If I can paint them well enough, I might just enter them in the GB competition.

thanks

James

Archived