Pig of Sparta's WIPs

@ Cassarus: thanks mate :).

@ kapturowski: I'm glad you like it, I'd hate to have pirated your and then screwed it up :D, I was really worried that the colours might not work the same way as yours, but they seem to have gone ok. My new fine detail brush was working overtime for the highlights on this guy, I don't think they'd have worked as well if I hadn't had one. I must admit I was really worried about the shoulder pads as well, having done all that drybrushing on the rest of the armour I wasn't sure how to replicate it in a different colour, but I pretty much kept drybrushing over the base coat yellow until it seemed to fit. Now all I've got to do is decide on his company and pack markings and then figure out how to weather the transfers to match the rest of him :).

@ twistinthunder: I've always had a soft spot for the sons of Russ as they were the first army I collected when I first started way back in 1995. The new mini's and bits are amazing so I'm not surprised you want them, it was seeing the new stuff that rekindled my interest in them too. One of the guys at my gaming club has been playing Wolves for a few weeks now, and they seem to be a force to be reckoned with on the tabletop as well as looking good. I might, just might slowly build myself a Wolves army over the next year, if I can save some money up that is :) The flesh on his face was a bit of an experiment. As I said in a previous post, people kept saying my faces looked a little on the undead side, so I added grey to the flesh colours I was using when I highlighted them instead of using bleached bone. The only real tip I can give for flesh is to keep your layers really thin and your paints watered down. Oh and don't be afraid to experiment. I don't pretend to be an expert at painting flesh, for many years I avoided it wherever possible, and it's only been in the last year I've started to paint it again. It'll come to you, just keep practicing :).

@ Natanael: When I was putting on the washes I wasn't sure they looked right either, but once I'd added more colour to the mini they seemed to tie it all together just right. It was worrying me for a while though. I kept looking at the test paint I'd done and thinking, 'it doesn't look the same!'

I did a lot of work on the mini last night and he's pretty much finished now. I just need to add his pack and company markings and make a base for him. I'll get some pictures up in the Hall of Honour when he's done... hopefully that won't be very long.

James

@Dejay: I'm still working on my Sons, slowly but surely getting them finished. I've made a few chances to my army since the list I posted up a while ago and it seems to be performing ok now. I'm planning on getting them all finished as early as I can in the new year, but best laid plans.....

@True Thorn: I had to look up what large than life meant before I fully understood your post, but now I know what it means, I can take it as the compliment it was meant as :rolleyes: thanks brother.

@Fenris127: All I changed on Kapturowski's technique was the paints I used, I followed all the steps from the method the same. The only exception is the Yellow, that was; a basecoat of Bronzed Flesh, a few thin layers of Golden Yellow, then several drybrushings of a Bleached Bone/Golden Yellow mix, followed by a really light drybrush of Skull White on the tops of the shoulder guards. This was then washed with the Dark Flesh and Scorched Brown the same as the rest of the armour.

@NemFX: If I do actually go for getting a Space Wolves army, I'm thinking they'll be from Logan Grimnar's Great Company (unlike this guy who thanks to my fogetting the Great Company colours when I painted the yellow is from Ragnar Blackmane's one) I'm thinking of using Ardjac Rockfist to lead my Wolf Guard, so I figured for consistency, the rest of the marines would be from the same company. As for colours, this method is nice and easy to replicate over many mini's so the armour will be the same (with the obvious exception of the company colours). Composition-wise I think I'll start with a unit each of Grey Hunters and Blood Claws, and then expand from there, I'm not sure what/who to take as a HQ choice though...

James

Sorry NemFX I got the wrong end of the stick completely there. This is the new list I'm using (after losing a few games I figured something must be wrong :)) Paintingwise, I'm going with the same clean look I've used on all the other minis I've posted previously.

James

The recipie for the yellow is deliciously simple:

Undercoat Skull White,

Basecoat of Vomit Brown,

Shade recesses with Devlan Mud,

Tidy up shading with more Vomit Brown,

Highlighting, which is still a ways off on this mini is possible in two ways, either using Bleached Bone or Skull White mixed in to the Vomit Brown.

Hope this helps :cuss

Cheers

James

are you sure thats vomit brown? i tried it and the colour is nothing like yours at all, not even yelow looking either? :P

@ wargamingbunker: I'm assuming you're talking about trying to get the colour I used for my Imperial Fists. I'm afraid it is Vomit Brown that I've used, mine seems very orangy brown, but then mine is a couple of years old now so the colour could have changed slightly. I'm really sorry it's not working for you. I've just started using Golden Yellow over a Bronzed Flesh basecoat, you could try that instead, although it won't be the same colour as the 'Fists I've done, I think it'd still work.

James

• 1 month later...

Evening Brothers, didn't think this warented a new thread, so I've stuck it here <_<.

http://i347.photobucket.com/albums/p456/pigofsparta/LotDsketch.jpg

Having seen the newest LotD minis recently I was impressed by the one with half his helmet missing, but I got to thinking, if there's actually a skull under that lid, I wonder what he'd look like with no helmet at all? This sketch is what a Damned Legionaire might look like were he seen without his helmet. Probably an incredibily unlikely occurance, but if it were to be destroyed in battle I'm sure he would fight on regardless.... I know there should probably be more bones and flames on him, but it was a quick 'bored of waiting for a manager to show up' moment at work, so it was a little rushed.

I'd really like to take this sketch further, so when I have some disposable cash again, I'm gonna see if I can gather some bits together and make a mini based on him. Probably. You all know what I'm like by now :)

cheers

James

Double post, but I thought I'd stick up a photo of what is probably going to be my next Showcase mini. I've actually posted a pic of it before, but after some thought, much umming and aahhing and some (very patiently for me) converting, I think I've actually improved on the original.

the originally posted mini (left) compared to the new updated version (right)

http://i347.photobucket.com/albums/p456/pigofsparta/THCGSfront.jpghttp://i347.photobucket.com/albums/p456/pigofsparta/SallyCaptain-1.jpg

I still need to do a little work on him, the shield/hand join needs a little greenstuff to make finish of the handle(?) that he's holding it with. I think the helmet and shield could use something as well but I'm not sure what just now. I'll have a think about it though. I'm not sure if the shield would benefit more from some 3d detailing or a fancy paint job... and obviously I need to re-undercoat him black because:

I'm planning on painting him as a Salamander, for a couple reasons; First is that I tried out a method for painting Sallies on a much smaller scale (there's a Salamander's helmet on the base of my Golden Bolter entry as, partly because I didn't want to use red and partly because I figured it fit with him being depicted as fighting in the Second War for Armageddon) I think it worked really well so I want to try it on a full mini.

Secondly, I've been meaning to paint this mini of a while and I think he'd look quite good as a Salamander, what with his thunder hammer and all.

I've changed from the original bare head that I was going to use to the helmet because although I love the background fluff for the Sallies, I just think the current 'jet black' flesh colour that GW are using just now looks a little odd on mini's, (possibly because of the black armour on the backpack kinda blending into the mini's head) plus I figured that not having to concentrate on a face would mean I can focus on putting more effort into other parts of the mini.

Anyway I think I've waffled on for more than long enough; any c&c will, as always be appreciated,

thanks

James

I think using skele heads for legion of the damned looks great. I am actually working on three such guys at the moment. On your showcase mini above, I love switch from pistol to shield, but not such a fan of the head swap. I think the helmeted head make the mini look a little more squat/compact. Looking forward to seeing him painted as well as any LotD models you come up with.

Ok, now mind you, when I primed this, I was running out of primer and growing impatient, so you might not be able to see the helmet beyond the paint.

http://i391.photobucket.com/albums/oo353/caj007/40k350.jpg

http://i391.photobucket.com/albums/oo353/caj007/40k351.jpg

http://i391.photobucket.com/albums/oo353/caj007/40k352.jpg

@ the damned: I'd quite like to see those 'skully' legionaires if you've got some pics of them :). The only way I'd consider dropping the helmet is if I thought I could get away with using the older flesh colour for Salamanders. However I've seen and heard far too many people say 'that's not a....' because it doesn't fit in with the exact schemes that GW is currently using. That's not to say I build or paint to make other people happy, but that it can be frustrating having to explain/justify one's self to people who are blinkered. However, I did have another thought, maybe he would look good as an Iron Snake.... then I could use a bare head no problem :)

@ peers: I definately think I'll be trying some freehand on the shield. Possibly the helmet too. Having looked at it again this morning he does look really heavy set, but then he should, he's a 7ft tall walking tank to all intents on purposes. Unless I have a last minute change of heart (see above) I'll be keeping his lid on.

@ commander alexander: I know the exact helmet you mean, I think I have one somewhere covered in paint residue from being stripped. I'll see if I can dig it out, clean it up and try it on this mini. Thanks for the idea :D

James

That guy has a really nice pose, If you had stuck the Roman Style helemt from one of the Vets he'd make an awesome Ultra.

I'm looking forward to seeing him painted up :D

Realy like the bulky tank-marine look you got on him there with the shield mate ;) though i love the other older one too... ;) but he does look massive and awesome now.. maby a purety seal or one of the bras etcht imperial eagle from FW on the shield ?

though for some reason i see him more of a Imperial Fists kaptain or one of the Ultramariens ?

Cheers mate

I should have the skull face marine posted pretty soon, all I need to do is paint his bolter and get a coat of finish on him and hes done. Hopefully by the end of the weekend. There area couple of marines with just skulls for heads and one with part of his helmet blown out, in the link in my sig if you care to look.

My comment about the helmet was minor since I thought both would look good, but I preferred the helmet-less one more. As I stated earlier, regardless of which way you proceed, I'm sure it will turn out great. Looking forward to seeing more.

Archived