Pig of Sparta's WIPs

• 4 weeks later...

Hi guys, I wondered if I could get a some opinions on a Wolf Scout I've been working on. I really should have been painting my wolves instead, but I've been playing with a few ideas for the last couple of weeks and last night it kinda all came together.

I wanted a Wolf Scout that looked a little different, like he was actually in the middle of doing something instad of posing for pictures, so here he is caught mid action:

http://i347.photobucket.com/albums/p456/pigofsparta/WolfScout.jpg

I wanted him to look taller than a stock scout as obviously Wolf Scouts are fully grown Astartes rather than kids still being rebuilt, so that's why there's ag gap in his torso that still needs G/S. I'm also going to extend his neck a couple of mm so his jaw isn't scraping his neck armour. I have a nagging suspicion that I need to turn the knife in his hand around, but when I was putting him together it seemed, in my mind at least that this way would look better.

When I get round to painting him, I'll be doing him the same way as the rest of my Wolves. I'm toying with the idea of adding a squad of Wolf Scouts at some point in the future, but for now, I think he'll suffice as another objective marker.

C&C very much appreciated,

James

@ Brother captin Braddok: I think I'll give that a try, I might even try and build up his base a little to make it look as you said; like he's about to jump on someone.

@ Skirax: I thought there was something missing, that must be it. I wasn't planning on doing anything to his belt, but I'm gonna try and find something to make his buckle look a little less standard I think.

James

I know what you mean Natanael, he does look a little posed I suppose. Once the G/S is in place I'm gonna try adding something to his belt buckle, and I might add a grenade or pouch by his left leg to bulk him up a little.

Hopefully I'll get him G/S'd tonight so I'll get more pics up soon

James

@ VonDrakenstorm: That's a great idea :) I might try and pick up a wolfskin cloak from the fantasy range that I can convert for this mini as my g/s-fu isn't that strong yet.

On to another mini with a grinding of conversational gears....

I've put together this mini with the aim of painting the hell out of it so I can push my abilities further, so I just thought I'd see what people thought of the bare mini in terms of pose and components before I start the long slog of painting him. Oh and I am actually going to paint this one ;)

http://i347.photobucket.com/albums/p456/pigofsparta/DSCF7835.jpg

Since I've done a lot of red mini's now I thought I'd try out green. Right now I'm thinking of him as a Sons of Medusa marine, but that could all change. The colour of his armour won't though. Probably.

Last but not least, I have cleaned up the sand that got on the edge of the base :)

Thanks

James

im not sure about the way the head is positioned in relation to the how the powerfist is, but it is still a nice conversion.

EDIT: also i think you should do one of the following chapters if your 'going green':

invaders

aurora chapter

mostly because you seem to pride yourself on doing some of the most obscure chapters(as i believe you should).

Thanks Twistinthunder,

im not sure about the way the head is positioned in relation to the how the powerfist is, but it is still a nice conversion.

How'd you mean? It might look a bit strange casue the mini is actually angled down slightly in that photo; I had to make do with a couple of wee folders as my 'backcloth' cause I couldn't find my usual bit of card.

I am tempted by both the Aurora and Invaders chapters, it'll mainly depend on which chapter markingI decide to try and pull off, not that you can really see it with that jump pack in the way...

James

@ Dan the Daemon: Don't worry I won't change the knife around :P

@ twistinthunder: Glad you're warming to him but I think I get what you mean, but now it looks like he's about to give/already giving something a ceramite-wrapped knuckle sandwich. I know it changes the dynamic of the mini, but when I was putting him together it looked right in my mind and on the mini itself. I think the pose supports the change of direction quite well, but I realise you can still see a lot of the original mini through this.

James

I'm sure he will look great with some paint on him. About the pose; if you look at the model he has 3 things that are "up", both arms are in the up position and the knee is up as well. For me I find if I limit the elements of the model that are "up" the model will look more natural (as natural as a 7' person in power armor with a mohawk can look) Have you tried him with the power fist angled down? The model might look more natural that way. My usual rule of thumb is: whatever knee is up in the air, the opposite arm goes up in the air to set it off. I do break this rule from time to time but not that often.

Like I said, I know the model is going to look good either way you pose it. Good luck Pig of Sparta.

Obey the Emperor.

I'm sure he will look great with some paint on him. About the pose; if you look at the model he has 3 things that are "up", both arms are in the up position and the knee is up as well. For me I find if I limit the elements of the model that are "up" the model will look more natural (as natural as a 7' person in power armor with a mohawk can look) Have you tried him with the power fist angled down? The model might look more natural that way. My usual rule of thumb is: whatever knee is up in the air, the opposite arm goes up in the air to set it off. I do break this rule from time to time but not that often.

Like I said, I know the model is going to look good either way you pose it. Good luck Pig of Sparta.

Obey the Emperor.

What Seva is talking about here is called Contraposto, and is a style of posing subjects for art that is almost as old as classical art- it originated in Ancient Greece with classical sculpture, but really came into being with the Renaissance. It essentially states that with one arm raised, the opposite leg should be raised, or in action, while the counterpart of each should be at rest- or... counter posed.

Dear me, next, we'll be talking about Chiaroscuro...

As for the pose, I think it works, but he's a little "Superman" for my taste with the raised fist (Up, up and away!). I'm not *the* authority on the Aurora Chapter, but I think the mohawk head might look a little out of place on a traditional Codex chapter- and not something I'd personally put onto one of my models, but if you choose to go that route, more power to you.

-Joe

Morning Brothers, thanks for the comments so far ;). I Thought I'd throw up some pics of him with a bit of paint on him so you can get a better look at him.

http://i347.photobucket.com/albums/p456/pigofsparta/GreenMarinefront.jpghttp://i347.photobucket.com/albums/p456/pigofsparta/GreenMarineback.jpg

http://i347.photobucket.com/albums/p456/pigofsparta/GreenMarineJumppack2.jpghttp://i347.photobucket.com/albums/p456/pigofsparta/GreenMarineJumppack1.jpg

What I'm planning on doing is getting the first couple of layers on everything before putting the jump pack on and highlighting everything up so that it all works together nicely. In case anyone's wondering the purity seals on the back of the jump pack are there to cover up the hole I made when I was pinning the back pack to the mini, I was a little over-zealous with my pin-vice ;).

@ Badaab and Seva: I was vaguely aware that there were conventions for posing sculptures but to be honest I went with what looked good to me. If it helps he did sit with the powerfist blu-tacked on for a couple of days so I could keep moving it about and checking how it looked... the superman thing never entered my mind though until you pointed it out. However Contraposto is something I'll keep in mind from now on :)

@ Badaab: I might change the mohawk head at a later date, but I love the raw anger/hate in the facial expression and I think it fits with the rest of the mini. He might be walking dangerously close to heresy with a hair cut like that in a codex chapter, but I figured since he's a veteran he might have a little bit of leeway.

@ Lunchbox: thanks mate, glad you like it. I've actually had this mini for a while now but couldn't really think of what to do with him, then inspiration struck....

thanks

James

Hehe looks very nice there mate and i like the pose and idea of him as a Sons of Medusa :) and the pose makes me think he comes down from a jump with a heavy hamerfist strike ala "Bud Spencer" style :) utterly crushing anything in his path.. Cool and nice! And i like the head.. it has a fears expression and looks cool and brutal.. afterall they are Astartes!!

Cheers mate :P

Loving it mate. I like the pose myself, really looks like he has just given someone a massive punch to the face!!!!

If you turn it into a diorama you should have an Orcs head flying off!!!

@ LunchBox: Do you mean undercoat? If that's the case then yeah, I'm fairly easy when it comes to undercoating my mini's. Due to the cost of GW's spray undercoat I rarely have more than one can at a time. I know that for brighter 'top' colours Skull White is best, but I only have Chaos Black just now and I've not had any problems with it so far :cuss

@ Lunchbox and Terrible Trygon: what I might do since I have at least one more of these heads somewhere is trim the mohawk of one of the others and then when I'm further on in the painting see which fits the mini best.

@ Gaz1858: thanks mate. Wish I had the time and patience to make a diorama, but I've got quite a lot on just now... never mind, maybe somepoint in the future....

@ twistinthunder and Xavier Targhost: glad you like him guys, that's part of my paint a good mini well scheme completed, now I just have to finish the painting as well as I possibly can :cuss

James

Archived