Pig of Sparta's WIPs

Thanks Lunchbox and Dejay. It's all thanks to my secret recipe ;)..... not really, just a smooth basecoat of Knarloc Green foundation followed by a couple of thinned layers of Snot Green, then recess shading with Badaab Black before building back to Snot Green over at least 2 layers of thinned paint :D

thanks

James

Knife looks good, correct for drawing across the body. Also, the plasma/power fist combo not only looks great but is one of my favorite offensive combos. And the mohawk is pretty...sweet!

Its a nice start, for sure. The comments on the pose weren't meant to be critical, just what popped into my head. I still feel like the mohawked head is silly, but that's personal taste... it might also be considered impractical to have long hair that close to the intakes of the jump pack (just a thought, but if you've seen the Incredibles and the cape montage, you'll get where I'm going with this).

If you need a bit of direction on the green armor... here's what I have been using lately on my Aurora Chapter stuff:

-white undercoat, lately I have been favoring the Tamiya Fine White Surface Primer.

-basecoat: Vallejo Model Color Deep Green

-shade: Dark Angels Green

-highlight: (OOP) GW Emerald Green and additionally add in Vallejo Game Color Stonewall Grey (GW Fortress Grey). I add a bit of GW Scorpion Green at the very end to give it a yellowish hint.

And yes, I'm painting actively again. However, its not really board related stuff (yay Necromunda!), and some simple pieces designed to get my 'sharpness' back. After that, I'll get back into my Aurora Chapter and my Chaos Marines.

-Joe

@ Badaab: no worries about the comments on the pose. We all like what we like :cuss. I get your drift about the mohawk and the jet intakes, but he's got extra-extra strong wood glue in that hair so with a little luck he won't rip his own head off ^_^.

Thanks for the tips on the green. I'm actually sort of following a technique for painting Salamanders, but the green looked the right shade to be used for other chapters as well... I wonder if you could tell me though, do you freehand the Aurora chapter symbol or do it some other way? This is what's bugging me most about this guy just now, how to make his chapter markings really well, but without tearing my hair out in frustration at them.

I'm gonna be away for an exciting week of training for my new computer system at work as of tomorrow morning so I'll be unable to reply to anything till I get back. But with a little luck when I do get back I should have an almost completed Space Wolves Army :)

See you all in a week...

James

• 3 weeks later...

I wasn't really sure where to put this and I didn't want to start a new thread for something that may well fall by the wayside, but after playing about for a wee while I came up with this:

http://i347.photobucket.com/albums/p456/pigofsparta/DeathCultist.jpg

(incidentally, if DC assassins aren't supported by this board please let me know and I'll get it down asap)

This is actually one of my favourite mini's GW have ever released, but I hacked off her sword a few years back for a conversion that went nowhere, so after paintstripping her late last year and having her sit in my toolbox since then I finally decided to show her some love (if such a thing is possible with a woman like this). The pommel still needs to be joined to the handguard and the gap near the hilt needs filling up too, when I next mix up some G/S I'll get that sorted though.

Like I said this might not go anywhere, but I'd like to know what people think anyway, you might make me want to paint her up :D

James

The chapter symbols (well, and all the symbols I do), are freehand. I feel like decals look tacky on the models, as the GW stuff dries down glossier than I'd like, and I've had bad luck with decal setting solution and the largely curved surfaces of the shoulder pads.

Since I don't use the standard Aurora symbol, and use an 8 pointed star instead, its really just two simple X shapes and then fleshed out into the appropriate shape. The biggest problem for me is the black detailing in the center, because the symbol feels like it is meant to be painted by someone left-handed. Since I'm right-handed, this can be an issue- so sometimes I have to do touch-ups.

When I'm finished with this little side project I have going right now (Trying some new metallics techniques), I may knock up a little tutorial. The freehand is quite simple, but then again, I've been painting them on my marines since the end of 2nd edition.

-Joe

I wasn't really sure where to put this and I didn't want to start a new thread for something that may well fall by the wayside, but after playing about for a wee while I came up with this:

http://i347.photobucket.com/albums/p456/pigofsparta/DeathCultist.jpg

(incidentally, if DC assassins aren't supported by this board please let me know and I'll get it down asap)

This is actually one of my favourite mini's GW have ever released, but I hacked off her sword a few years back for a conversion that went nowhere, so after paintstripping her late last year and having her sit in my toolbox since then I finally decided to show her some love (if such a thing is possible with a woman like this). The pommel still needs to be joined to the handguard and the gap near the hilt needs filling up too, when I next mix up some G/S I'll get that sorted though.

Like I said this might not go anywhere, but I'd like to know what people think anyway, you might make me want to paint her up :lol:

James

I really like it. The most important thing on chainsword extensions is to make sure everything is perfectly level. It has to be seamless, and from the angle of the pic it's ALMOST there. :)

Base is great, model is great, model is great.

Keep going with it ;)

Archived