Shadow's WIP

Hey there all, haven't been on in a long time, been busy at work. But finally have some time off to PAINT! So here are the latest things I'm planning on working on. Just trying to push myself to newer standards.

gallery_33709_3842_104503.jpg

gallery_33709_3842_78407.jpg

So yea, didn't realize that this guy is a little out of focus. New Camera and I'm not exactly good with it as of yet lol. But so this is what I have in mind. If you've read that fanflic on Bolter called Rise of the Tau, then this is going to be like the character Torvus. Which I thought would be pretty cool.

Any feedback would be awesome. As I really like him so far. Need to do the rest like base work and little extras. but I like the overall idea I think.

-Shadow

Definitely switch to non-Terminator arms if you can. Failing that, file down the shoulders hardcore.

Also, a note on the pose: the model would be more dynamic if his body and head are oriented in the direction his feet are pointing, not necessarily straight on, but basically shield arm forward, chest facing away. At the moment he's looking off to his left and shouting at something, rather than charging forward into battle with a warcry. Or he's doing a crab-walk. Raise the shield as well if you can, it'll go a long way to making him look like he's ready for an attack rather than he's carrying a shield.

Ok, So have done a little bit of work, Changed the pose slightly, (Just twisted him around to be more on the charging angle and in the right direction) also swapped the left arm from a Termy arm to a normal marine arm and added the Deathwatch Shoulder pad. Also thinking of adding one of those little Terminator honours badge on his chest (from the termy box set) and maybe a pistol to his leg? Maybe a purity seal somewhere. Not to sure yet. Any ideas?

gallery_33709_3842_50309.jpg

gallery_33709_3842_194641.jpg

change of pose was a good move, looks great now.

im liking the left shoulder pad but as mentioned maybe you should file down the right shoulder, maybe put a normal marine pad over that to make it look less like a termi arm.

+_+

Hi :) and i agree with the right shoulder needs to be cut down and ad a shoulderpad over it :) and another though to beef him upp might be to ad the pelvis platings you get with the assault terminators to his thighs like the old knights have ? if you know what i meen :)

cheers

here's what you can do for the right arm, cut the hand at the wrist (with the guard and cables) and cleanly take off the cables on the arm, trying to keep it in one piece, then graft the hand onto a normal SM arm (filed down to 1/2mm below elbow) and try to gently fit the cables on and add some GS to cover any gaps and there you have it a decent space marine thunder hammer arm!

Well what I'm currently thinking of doing is actually leaving it as is. So keep the right arm as a termy arm, and using Green Stuff to make the Alliance Symbol on the shoulder pad (so it would look like one of those fancy shoulder pads) So it would have the Imperial eagle over the right shoulder clutching the Tau insignia in it's claws. Thoughts? Also started some work on the base. Will be pretty simple. But liking it so far. Pics to come.

-Shadow

I still think you should file down the right shoulderpad or graft the thunder hammer onto a normal marine arm, and then use a marine shoulder pad. You'd end up with a bigger surface area for the Alliance symbol, which would be a focal point of the model right after the shield.

Righto!

So as per the idea from Diruptor_fe404 I have filed down the shoulder and done a GS symbol of the Tau symbol shadowed by an Imperial Eagle. I actually like how it came out. It's simple which is what I wanted, Not exactly what I had in mind to start with, but very very close. Still need to wait for it to dry (Just did it) and clean it up a little. Also did some work on the base. Going with a sorta 2 layer idea. So it's still on the normal base but can go onto the more scenic one when I want it to. The bottom base will have that brick pattern while the rest will have some sparse Grass I think.

C&C totally welcome thanks guys.

gallery_33709_3842_97148.jpg

gallery_33709_3842_75467.jpg

gallery_33709_3842_46159.jpg

gallery_33709_3842_42599.jpg

Ermm... That symbol looks like it means 'For the Tau Imperium!'. The Tau symbol being whole and hale on top/dominating the Imperial Eagle (or worse, being incorporated into it) is completely opposite to the point of the Deathwatch (not to mention the faction that Torvus belongs to in Rise of the Tau).

On the other hand, the Green Stuff work itself is good. I can't tell if you've actually done it, but some creases/lines into the tail feathers of the eagle could work too. Just fix the Tau symbol!

Yea, I thought that aswell, However I plan to splat in in blood like the Ultramarines one had with the Tyranid symbol. It's BOUND to be fine in the end. You are however right. It does almost look like he works for the Tau lol. I was planning on doing them with the tail feathers but I was waiting till the GS dried a little more. I tried it before and it screwed the whole thing up. Was very annoyed. But I'm pretty pleased with the quality of how it came out.

-Shadow

Well, unless there's something to show that damage is being done to the Tau symbol (the Tyranid one I think you're referring through has a sword through it), it'll still need to be changed somewhat. better to get it now than to paint it up and not get the message across.

This is another mini I've been working on recently. Pretty happy with how it's been so far. Just finished the plasma pistol. The left shoulder pad will hold the Night Watch Heraldry which I do an Eye with bat wings. So that should like nice when I do it right which isn't often. But will give me nice Freehand Practice.

gallery_33709_3842_10830.jpg

gallery_33709_3842_45912.jpg

gallery_33709_3842_64135.jpg

gallery_33709_3842_167850.jpg

Doing some NNM practice. I like how the chest looks and the skull on the back came out nice too. But not sure if it's totally right yet. But practice makes perfect. And I've really enjoyed doing that one too.

-Shadow

Well, you already got the mould lines...my only suggestion if you haven't primed yet, is to brush off the mini with a dry (no paint) tank brush. You don't want dust or those random little micor-hairs/fibers getting sealed in under the primer.

Love the pose!

Also, on the NMM...it needs to transition more...go from near black, to near white to give it the look of actual metal.

• 4 weeks later...

Hey thanks for the comments guy. Sorry been working pretty insane hours at my job (If you've seen the Spartacus trailer, you'll know what I mean).

Lunchbox you say that I need to go from more black to almost white, is that transition looking in the right direction? I saw a tutorial on doing it and it said something about the horizon line playing a big part in how it turns out but this might be wrong? So if the darker parts were darker and the lighter parts lighter would that be more suitable?

After looking at the model I think I missed a bit on his backpack (sorta near and behind the head). So will have to clean that up and make it look all nice, then will be moving to finish the legs. Currently done a bit more of them and based the mini, I think I even changed the legs, but he's looking good. About 80% complete I think. So a little bit more to go then should be all done and will post him. if I ever get the time.

As for more 10 min marines, if I can find myself another 10 min somewhere, will totaly look at doing a few more. Quantity is a form of Quality from time to time. (Like when you don't have an army painted and have played for some 10 years.)

-Shadow

So if the darker parts were darker and the lighter parts lighter would that be more suitable?

Yes, that's exactly what he meant. The extra contrast will also define it better and help it stand out. Very smooth brushwork btw. :(

• 1 month later...

Hey there all, Sorry it's been so long in me posting anything new, been working on alot of things and will look into posting them when work finishes up in a few weeks.

So Just wanted so say Golden Demon in NZ has just been and check it out

gallery_33709_3842_456112.jpg

They're sending over a mini of mine for the comp! It's nothing on this website as it's a Tyranid Ripper swarm, I'll try and get it onto Cool Mini or not.com or something and put a link up when it gets back as I have no photos of it so far. Good luck to all those with exams coming up and enjoy the SUMMER! (For those that are going into it like myself)

-Shadow

The left shoulder pad will hold the Night Watch Heraldry which I do an Eye with bat wings.

The Night Watch symbol (according to page 30 of the 5th Edition Space Marine Codex) is a candle.

Yeah, he found that out very shortly after he posted that original. He's going with the candle symbols on the current ones going forward. So he'll still have a few of them with his winged eye. And by 'a few' I really mean 'that one model'. Because that's how fast EnigmaShadow paints.

That is VERY very true.

Unfortunately I do paint rather slowly and I sorta started this army just as 5th edition was released then as I showed my pride and joy off I was told I had it wrong. So there is the NEW Night Watch. The colours I like alot more then the earlier ones, he's brighter and less Chaos-y (As I think the other ones looked more like they belonged TO Chaos rather then fought Chaos) The red is a much different shade which I really like and the Grey is obviously alot brighter. I'm happy about it to be honest. The white is all gone so I think it just looks alot smoother then the older ones, but C&C are welcome.

EDIT: Also note, his arms are not done yet just in case people are wondering lol.

gallery_33709_3842_35398.jpg

gallery_33709_3842_155330.jpg

gallery_33709_3842_139480.jpg

Here is also a Space Wolf I've started working on. The colours will be slightly darker then the Codex ones and I'm going to avoid the whole Red, Blue AND yellow on every model by going one or the other (Blood Claws will have yellow and their armour colour while Grey Hunters will only have Red and their Armour colour. Company will be the Iron Wolf)

gallery_33709_3842_75124.jpg

gallery_33709_3842_155003.jpg

Hope you all like it!

-Shadow

Archived