Shadow's WIP

• 5 weeks later...

Hey there all!

Long time no post, Sorry but it's been a VERY busy few weeks, I'm off for the rest of the year, finished up filming one thing and I'm off for another TODAY! WAGH! Have lots of plans for my thread coming up, but until then you'll just have to wait.

So a preemptive merry Christmas and Happy Xeno Killing New years!

-Shadow

• 11 months later...

Hey there all!

I know I've been away for a while, This always happens when a contract comes up. But anyway! Golden Demon Oceania was last week, so I think it's about time I put up the work I did for it!

first up!

gallery_33709_3842_84675.jpg

This is the Predator I did for my night watch (I did a FULL on night watch thing this year to try and push myself) this was in my opinion my WORST entry, I was up till ALL hours of the morning and had the shakes from sleep deprivation and too much caffeine but it was funnily enough the only one that made it through to the finals!

gallery_33709_3842_139737.jpg

gallery_33709_3842_405738.jpg

Next up a Plasma cannon guy, he made it into the NZ finals, but not to Oz which was fine, he was my second best guy. It was sorta a blast from the past for him as the first entry I did in GD 3 years ago or so was also a plasma cannon guy, so I thought I'd see how I'd improved since then.

gallery_33709_3842_270774.jpg

gallery_33709_3842_58539.jpg

This was my pride and joy for the entry, I worked my ASS off for him and was obviously pretty gutted that he didn't make it through to the finals. However I was up against some of the stiffest competition this year, so next year will have to step up my plate even more!

So comments and critque as always would be great as I push to get my painting skills ever higher. I'm working on a few things now as I have some time before christmas so will hopefully get around to putting them up sometime soon!

Shadow

Very cool. The color scheme is really simple but striking, and the same goes for your modeling. I'm kinda curious as to your methods, considering you prime white. Every time I prime white the finish has a gritty texture to it, and painting done over it is always rather blotchy. Even worse, for some reason white refuses to cooperate when I try to strip it later with Castrol Super Clean (works fine on black primer, weird).

And I actually rather like that tank, by the way. That method of painting the symbol along a large portion of the hull and across different contours/segments gives tanks a lot of character.

Hey all,

thanks for the comments! It took me a WHILE to get it to this stage lol (the colour scheme that is) some of my earlier ones are in earlier posts I think.

The tank is a slightly different red (If anyone can tell lol, it's a little more obvious in real life) but it's red gore with pink highlights where as the Terminator and the plasma guy have blood red highlights which I think I like more. The Candle emblem was actually meant to have the flame all on that hatch with the candle and stuff going down, but it looked too elongated, so I changed it to that final design. The unfortunate thing that you really can't tell from the photo is all the NMM on the tank, the Turret which drove me insane and those doors (Which even the judge was confused about it not having sponsons or doors lol) but I thought it was a little more interesting, and I never got the chance or the time to do them too.

As for my painting, I'm not sure, I mean, As you say, I always prime white, and heavily water down my paints. There is an article by Lunchbox about glazing (Which I couldn't seem to find a link too) in B&C which helped a great deal. I want to get a golden Demon some day, but so far getting models over to Oz has eluded me for the most part, although the judges were pretty surprised my Termy didn't make it. But alas! Next year will be better!

Shadow

• 3 weeks later...

Hey all!

Another update for you all, part of my 'Do one of every first founding chapter marines' so I went with the Ravenguard after getting my sweet sweet order from forgeworld..... Although it did take 5 weeks to get here :S Long time, but I was pretty impressed with what I got even I have to admit.

gallery_33709_3842_226476.jpg

Anyway! This is what I managed to get done, I'm trying to push myself even more, looking at getting some P3 paints to see how they work and to get a nice feel for them. Also put them all into a more 'finished' look for when I post them. All C&C welcome as per usual.

Thanks

• 1 month later...

Hey all,

New update. This is my Ironclad that I'm working on at the moment. Although not sure when I'll get to the serious pushing for him as I've got a few things I want to finish on the back burner first. But this is him so far.

gallery_33709_3842_155973.jpg

gallery_33709_3842_183498.jpg

Although he's at his most simple stages, making the right arm siege drill was not easy to do lol, Thanks for Disruptor for the idea, as it actually wasn't my own. Not 100% on the pose yet, but I kinda like the idea so far of the slightly pointing thing? Or maybe have him standing on something seriously crazy, might have to look at some GD entries to figure out all that stuff. Also currently working on my freehand alot, so more of that when I'm done. And good luck/work on anyone doing the LPC!

Shadow

• 3 weeks later...

Hey there all, a VERY quick update,

been messing around with what I want to do for this years competition, so I'm going to try and do these ones, it's just a sternguard squad and a Whirwind so was messing around with doing like all of them on a scenic base to enter them in, so these are what I've done for my Sternguard squad.

All together in a semi position using my Predator for sizing for the whirwind

gallery_33709_3842_9061.jpg

This is my favourite guy of the squad, I know, bias right? But I'm pretty happy with him seeing as he's made from about 7 different sprue's.

gallery_33709_3842_37267.jpg

The Sergeant

gallery_33709_3842_35255.jpg

Heavy weapons guy

gallery_33709_3842_26058.jpg

Marine guy?

gallery_33709_3842_15180.jpg

Combi Plasma guy

gallery_33709_3842_8712.jpg

Lascannong guy, I'll prob paint him last even though he was technically the first to be built.

gallery_33709_3842_9803.jpg

basically half the squad are walking/running to help give the idea that they'll be stalking through some ruins when I get onto the scenic base with hopefully some trees and stuff.

C&C welcome as always

Shadow

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Hey all,

Long time no post, but this is what I've managed to do so far! Been pretty busy with the usual thing in life, but have managed to do a tiny bit of work on my GD guys so far:

gallery_33709_3842_143687.jpg

Been working on the helmets so far, but pretty happy with how they are starting to turn out so far.

gallery_33709_3842_272447.jpg

And this is the other one I've been desperately working on which I am most pleased with. Thanks to the storm raven I've managed to cobble these parts together to get an actual Razorback with Assault cannons using the Turantula gun mount. I'm pretty happy with how it looks and will get onto painting it as soon as I make it back from PnG in like 6 weeks lol.

gallery_33709_3842_262575.jpg

gallery_33709_3842_280169.jpg

So hope that's a nice little update for you all!

Hopefully more to come at some point in time soon!

Shadow

• 9 months later...

Hey there for anyone that semi follows this posting,

Have been out of the game for a long while (Was a massively busy year last year with a house move) but this year looks to be much more exciting and better than ever!

So keep an eye out here, I've got some more photos of that sternguard squad that I've been working on so will post them up soon. Done a bit more hacking of some parts, My Front man now has Mk IV armoured legs, and I've added some other armours now that Forgeworld does some older Mk's which are pretty cool!

So standby for more crazy updates on what I've been doing.

Also coming is my new 'Whitfield' Land Raider, Plasma cannon sponsons from the Contemptor Dreads, I know it's been done before but The design is much more sleek than more people do (Going OTT on the plasma cannon side of things) So hoping to get that posted sometime soon too.

Shadow

• 6 months later...

Alright people!

So, some films down (Mr Pip now showing in Torronto film fest for those that have seen the news) and I've got an update. Painting has had a serious backseat for a long while since I have been working hard on other hobbies and things. BUT! It's back into action, so here is what I've got for you. The Sternguard so far.

gallery_33709_3842_23537.jpg

So these are the same as the guys above, I've been working hard on the glazing technique for anyone that followed LunchBox's stuff, I really want to get into that and have always loved his stuff. So the legs have had this done and the heads, but I think I'm getting better at it, not sure if it comes out well on my phone camera but my main camera is dead at the moment and wanted to get this posted.

gallery_33709_3842_28656.jpg

Here they are from the front, I still think they're looking pretty boss.

gallery_33709_3842_80253.jpg

This is the other guy I have been working on, He's from ALOT of different parts, Some Sevrin parts with the Chest and Shoulderpad, the Storm Shield is from a Raptors Rhino Door, it's meant to be a faster mini as it's only to 'tabletop' quality and the idea is to pump them out and start doing commission painting and such, So hopefully more images to post soon! After I'm back from Oz!

Archived