Destroying transports

Tevelyn

Hey guys, I have a simple rules question for you. I was playing a game in a store locally and they handled units taking wounds in vehicles differently than my understanding of the rules and insist that it's normal.

Basically they say that units in a vehicle take a str 4 hit, then are placed then take the str 3 hit from the vehicle exploding 1d6".

My understanding is that the str 3 hit happens, then you remove the vehicle, resolve the str 4 hit, and place the models where the vehicle was previously.

I don't know the policies for posting rules so I'm just going to reference pages. Page 61. 6 Destroyed - Explodes and Page 67 Destroyed - Explodes.

I'd appreciate a little insight especially if anyone can explain to me how you would interpret the rules as stating that the models take a str 3 and 4 hit.

Thanks for the attention

Tev

They are doing it wrong. The sequence is as follows:

1. Vehicle Explodes!

2. Roll D6" for blast, measured from the vehicle's hull; models in that range take a S3 hit.

3. Remove the vehicle from the table and replace it with terrain.

4. Resolve the S4 hit against the embarked unit.

5. Place survivors where the vehicle used to be.

If you want to be technical, you'd never hit the transported unit in the blast radius, as essentially there's a circle of safety (outline of the transport) in which the unit is, outside of which the blast is measured.

Hello there!

I've got a similar question and wasn't sure if it warrants a new thread.

Today we came into a situation which (in my opinion) isn't really covered by the rules.

I scored two penetrating hits on a transport vehicle, one outcome was 1 - stunned, the other 5 - destroyed.

My question now is the following: Does the embarked unit take both outcomes, meaning: are they unable to shoot in their following turn or does the destroyed result take precedence so they only disembark?

Thanks in advance for taking the time :D

Hello there!

I've got a similar question and wasn't sure if it warrants a new thread.

Today we came into a situation which (in my opinion) isn't really covered by the rules.

I scored two penetrating hits on a transport vehicle, one outcome was 1 - stunned, the other 5 - destroyed.

My question now is the following: Does the embarked unit take both outcomes, meaning: are they unable to shoot in their following turn or does the destroyed result take precedence so they only disembark?

Thanks in advance for taking the time :)

Not sure what you're asking here. Are you asking that because the vehicle was stunned the unit inside wouldn't be able to shoot out of a firepoint? And that if the vehicle was destroyed would they be able to fire afterwards or not?

In my understanding when you shake or stun a vehicle the vehicle itself and any unit in it cannot shoot, much like moving at cruising speed. However, if you were to disembark from a stunned or shaken vehicle, the unit would be able to shoot as they are no longer in the vehicle, they are a seperate, infantry unit.

So the unit that had their stunned vehicle destroyed would be able to shoot as they were forced to disembark, the stunned result doesn't affect them anymore.

O and a 1 is a shaken result, unless its open-topped or your weapon was AP1

In my understanding when you shake or stun a vehicle the vehicle itself and any unit in it cannot shoot, much like moving at cruising speed. However, if you were to disembark from a stunned or shaken vehicle, the unit would be able to shoot as they are no longer in the vehicle, they are a seperate, infantry unit.

Really?

Do you have any page reference?

We always understood it, that disembarking from a shaken vehicle meant that the unit (formerly) inside couldn't shoot as well in the following turn

O and a 1 is a shaken result, unless its open-topped or your weapon was AP1

That was, what I meant of course (lost in translation) :)

BRB pg. 67 "Passengers may not shoot from the vehicle in their next shooting phase, but are otherwise unaffected."

The shaken/stunned only effects them if still embarked.

Thanks for the reference SeattleDV8, I didn't have a rulebook to hand and was writing that top of memory.

So if the vehicle is destroyed in the same turn that it's stunned, the passengers are no longer affected by the stunned result and can shoot because they are disembarked. Of course, even if the vehicle wasn't destroyed, you could always voluntarily disembark and be able to shoot.

If you want to be technical, you'd never hit the transported unit in the blast radius, as essentially there's a circle of safety (outline of the transport) in which the unit is, outside of which the blast is measured.

I think that's the best way of explaining it. Measure D6" FROM THE HULL. Oh wait, they're not in the specified area.

Another question to add to this topic (and I suppose it applies to Dangerous Terrain rolls as well).

When a unit inside a Transport that is destroyed takes the S4 hits, how do you resolve thes ein mixed units?

Are the S4 hits rolled in total, then any wounds assigned as the Units controller wishes? Or are the S4 hits rolled seperately for distinct parts of the Unit?

Another question to add to this topic (and I suppose it applies to Dangerous Terrain rolls as well).

When a unit inside a Transport that is destroyed takes the S4 hits, how do you resolve thes ein mixed units?

Are the S4 hits rolled in total, then any wounds assigned as the Units controller wishes? Or are the S4 hits rolled seperately for distinct parts of the Unit?

I would guess this is covered by the Majority Toughness rule. I think the rule book says the S4 hits are resolved "...as per shooting...." or some such wording.

Therefore if the majority of the unit inside is T4, fours to wound, if its majority T3, threes to wound etc. You then count up the total wounds and assign them as you wish to the unit and make armour saves.

I've played it both ways (majority toughness as a group, assign saves as normal) or as S4 hits on 'buckets of models' with saves on only those models that took a wound.

I think the first is more correct, and has teh advantage of being faster.

Archived