smoke launchers

Duce

Ok, quick question. The smoke launchers on a rhino, i was told they drop penetrating hits down to glancing, but upon reading the book they say only gives a 4+ cover save. is this correc or do they indeed drop penetrating hits down to glancing?

Thanks

Indeed some Codexes work differently and the BRB tells us to use them in preference. The DA codex for instance still uses the pen to glance smoke mechanic. It's confusing but there you go.

Cheers

I

Here's why:

Regular marine smoke (and that of most other armies nowadays) is a synthetic compound that fills the area around the tank with an obscuring mist of sorts (to steal a term from a different game), which makes it harder to see where the vehicle is located. Thus, a 4+ chance that the shot simply misses its mark.

Dark Angels, on the other hand, release a pondorous cloud of incense laden with shame and suffering at being unforgiven. The sheer Emo "weight" of this cloud of smoke descends upon the rhino, engulfing it (and its crew) in feelings of self loathing and anger at their continual reminders of failure in the past. They immediately begin applying black eyeliner and listening to Fallout Boy. The vehicle gets hit just as often, but the black Hello Kitty tennis wristbands that the crew have just donned absorb impacts, thus making sure that hits cannot do as much damage--and thus are downgraded to glancing.

At least I think that's why. /wink

Cheers.

It's worth noting that if the vehicle is also physically obscured (other models/terrain - 50% rule) and has the 'downgrade to glance' smoke launchers, then BOTH apply.

My DH rhinos are even better (but then, for 50pts each, they should be).

Archived