Falling.

The basic question is, when a group of Space Marines turns to Chaos/Renegade, does it happen relatively fast, or slower and almost unnoticed, until its too late?

OK, I'm sure the answer is "either" or "both". Guess what I'm asking is, from a fluff/background standpoint in documented cases, what has been the 'norm'? Reading the Soul Drinkers, the physical element (mutations, weird powers) came fast and furious; the mental part never came, though - they always felt they were fighting Chaos "for" the Emperor.

(ps. hope this is the right forum...) ^_^

Their faith usually gets worn down slowly but when they finally take the plunge they do it in a big way. It took constantninus a while before he went chaos but once he did he quickly set about destroying anything he could get his hands on.

The basic question is, when a group of Space Marines turns to Chaos/Renegade, does it happen relatively fast, or slower and almost unnoticed, until its too late?

OK, I'm sure the answer is "either" or "both". Guess what I'm asking is, from a fluff/background standpoint in documented cases, what has been the 'norm'? Reading the Soul Drinkers, the physical element (mutations, weird powers) came fast and furious; the mental part never came, though - they always felt they were fighting Chaos "for" the Emperor.

(ps. hope this is the right forum...) :D

As has been said its like a bit of rubber being stretched slowly but when it finally breaks it going to lash out big style ;). Although I think some people will suddenly dedicate themselves to chaos quickly if they are already corrupt of desperate.

For example I don't personally think Magnus was corrupted by the chaos gods although he knew of them he was loyal to the emperor. However once he and his homeworld were on the brink of destruction he was willing to damn his soul to save his legion. (that was pretty quick)

It's also important to remember, that once Chaos get's a hold of you, it changes not just your body, but your very personality as well. The most "undesirable" traits of humanity, greed, anger, wrath, hate, etc, etc get's blown out of proportion and starts to influence the mind astoundingly more than previously when such emotions would be kept in check by various means.

TDA

So what about "recent fallen" in terms of game rules? To badly paraphrase a statement I recall from BoLS, its not like space marines go to bed one night chanting litanies to the emperor and the next morning, scuttle their land speeders and drop pods and call in the obliterators and unchain the defilers.

So from a gaming standpoint, its possible some recent fallen would use C:CSM and others might still be more like C:SM?

ps. thanks for the replies. guess I need to get on top of that HH series of novels... :devil:

Hmm...interesting thought! I am doing my renegade marine army and am going to have it that the Chaplain was gradually corrupted, he corrupted the senior officers of the chapter and then the corruption slowly trickles down to the rest of the chapter until...BANG! heresy...

Im imagining this is how the corrupting process takes place...kinda like mold? I hope my ramblings have been helpful...:)

I remember Demon World where the plot twist reminded me of Kotor and Revan.

Anywho, that sounds good. Do us a favor and kill some Inquisitors on the way out :lol:. I just had a debate over the legitamacy of the Inquisition on the rule of Humanity and the puppet Emperor they keep alive, but this isn't a debate about it.

Enjoy.

I think it depends on the power at hand, and the event, if any that precedes the change of faith.

In the case of some marines, removed from constant Chaplain reinforcement, the change can happen over time. What am I fighting for? Isn't there more than this? What am I serving "Him" for? That sort of thing.

In the case of 'corruption' there is mention of genetic issues, and questionable geneseed. We've heard all the rumblings about the 'lost' geneseed of the Thousand Sons being used for the Blood Ravens (just rumour). Or other chapters that have simply had it locked away for fear of taint.

In the case of a more 'overnight' situation, there's been cases of ships, if not fleets lost in the warp and they come out (sometimes thousands of years later) on the side of chaos, if not dead. (This of course includes the example of Deathguard)

Further to 'overnighters' Dan Abnett wrote some eye opening stuff about the "Sek" (the one who's words drown out all others) and his blood pact. When they occupy a planet, the corruption can be so complete and so utter, that even the best trained can fall in this situation. Gaunt's Ghosts at one time figure they have maybe a month before they may not be capable of returning back to the Imperium. Chaotic symbols themselves can breed corruption.

Being influenced directly by a 'strong' enough entity of a particular god can also have a effect. The temptations of Slaanesh come to mind. Khârn almost instantly loses his Berzerkers to a Slaanesh servant of significant power... it was nearly instantaneous.

There's plenty of precedence for varying timelines of becoming "Chaos". There is also plenty of evidence to the level of 'servent' or perhaps 'champion' you may become. Are you weak minded? Best suited to be a mewling peon? Or do the god's have a vested interest in keeping you somewhat sane, somewhat level headed, and motivated to their ends?

Archived