DS transports.

Grey Mage

So... if you DS a transport, does the unit inside count as DSing?

For instance... the DP brings in a squad, and is DSing, and the unit is deployed- so as they deployed they count as moving. The DPs rule says they cant assault. But do they count as having DS that turn? Why/Why not?

So... if you DS a transport, does the unit inside count as DSing?

For instance... the DP brings in a squad, and is DSing, and the unit is deployed- so as they deployed they count as moving. The DPs rule says they cant assault. But do they count as having DS that turn? Why/Why not?

They count as deapstriking. pg 95, fith paragraph "In the movement phase when they arive these units may not move any further other than to disembark from a deepstriking transport" These units is refering to deapstriking units, thus the unit inside a deapstrikeing transport also counts as deapstriking.

Wow. I have to disagree on that one. The Vehicle is Deep Striking, the unit is disembarking. Period. The vehicle does not grant the Deep Strike rule to the unit, or it would clearly state that it did in it's rules entry. But I can see that we're splitting hairs.

Although Planetstrike borders on house-rules, it can serve to both confuse and clarify the question. It confuses it by granting Deep Strike to almost everything via the Shock Tactics rule. But the entry on Interceptors states:

"Instead of firing in the Shooting phase, at the end of the enemy Movement phase each gun with the Interceptor special rule may fire once at any one unit that has deployed by Deep Strike within their range and line of sight. This can include units deployed by a vehicle with the Deep Strike rule..."
This implies that there are units that can be transported by a vehicle with Deep Strike that do not themselves have the rule.

*shakes head to clear grey-rules-fog* Whatever. I think the mechanic is the same. Is there something up your sleeve, GM?

One of the FAQs refers to the unit arriving by drop pod being unable to assault because the unit was deep striking that turn. Not sure which FAQ, and won't be able to flip through to check until later.

Quote from Dark Angels FAQ

Q. Can troops deploying from a Dark Angels

Drop Pod assault on the turn it lands? Unlike

the Space Marines and Black Templars codexes,

it does not state you cannot.

A. No the embarked troops can’t assault, as they

have deployed by deep strike that turn and

troops that deep strike can’t assault.

Yes this has come up before. Folks argue that it is the transport and NOT the transported that have deepstruck. As I see it they deepstruck with the pod simply by virute of being in it, so yes they count as having deep struck. It's not about tranfering the DS rule to the unit, it's about how the unit itself entered play isn't it :no: .

No need to resort to FaQs. The deep strike section mention sunits deep striking inside a transport, and refers to them as deep striking units, so we have it all in the basic rulebook. Frosty has quoted the relevant passage.

Just thought Id check... couldnt find it during a game yesterday *of planetstrike* and since the Interceptor Weapon entry said "can" we thought perhaps there were exceptions/rules we didnt know about.

As it makes a bit of a difference if my opponent has to use his quad autocannon or Indomitable Fortress's missile launcher on my Drop Pod, or the Pack that deployed out of it.

two things to add here:

1 - Is DS conveyed to the unit by their transport? in vanilla 40k this is irrelevant - the rules are clear that they may not assault, only disembark.

2 - in planetstrike, "units with the deep strike special rule in their unit entry" can assault after deep strike. so if a unit "deep strikes" by virtue of being on a transport, they themselves have not gained that rule, they have only been able to use it through a blanket special rule.

2a - in the case of a drop pod it is clear - units "may not assault," no matter who or what they are. see C:SM P69, drop pod assault. this is not over-ridden in planetstrike.

Oh no no no... wasnt trying to assault with them Hawks- Im well aware of that rule, as are my gaming group- we were trying to figure out if an interceptor gun could shoot at the squad IN the drop pod, instead of just the DP itself.

Thats all.

Archived