WIP Chapter Master

May I suggest you darken the base down it distracts from the excellently painted model. Make the colours darker and more nutral. even the cherub might look better with more muted tones.

Otherwise im loving it, very cool, looks the sort of thing GW artists would draw.

Gorgeous mini. The power sword's blade looks a little flatter (in color, I mean, not in shape) than I've gotten used to seeing, but I like it, I'd only give it a fine orange highlight on the edges, and maybe down the center riser with most of the orange blended down into one side of the blade, just to accent the shape, and the "bladey-ness" of it. The base is nice, but I'll second jester_prince's remarks that it could stand to be toned down. Maybe a few Payne's Grey glazes? I think the cherub's flesh could stand to be a little lighter and a little greyer; iirc cherubs are supposed to be some kind of bizarre biomechanical construct, and I think a greyer (maybe with faint green tinges?) shade would both highlight that, and help the cherub fade back into the base a little more, so as not to distract from that magnificent chapter master.

Thats a nice Chapter Master you have there, but Im not sure on the base and I have never been a fan of cherubs, but then it is a Blood Angels successor so fits in well.

I liked that little bizzare skull baby since I first plucked it off that Empire General's sprue. I figured if I was going to use it...Blood Angels HOOOOOOOOOOOO!

May I suggest you darken the base down it distracts from the excellently painted model. Make the colours darker and more nutral. even the cherub might look better with more muted tones.

I agree now after seeing the pics. I am reworking the cherub with some pale greys and P3's trollblood hilight. The UltraMarines helmet will stay the course, albeit with more layering.

Gorgeous mini. The power sword's blade looks a little flatter (in color, I mean, not in shape) than I've gotten used to seeing, but I like it, I'd only give it a fine orange highlight on the edges, and maybe down the center riser with most of the orange blended down into one side of the blade, just to accent the shape, and the "bladey-ness" of it. The base is nice, but I'll second jester_prince's remarks that it could stand to be toned down. Maybe a few Payne's Grey glazes? I think the cherub's flesh could stand to be a little lighter and a little greyer; iirc cherubs are supposed to be some kind of bizarre biomechanical construct, and I think a greyer (maybe with faint green tinges?) shade would both highlight that, and help the cherub fade back into the base a little more, so as not to distract from that magnificent chapter master.

I am working the red some more. Brightening up the hilights and defining the shadows more. The blade is far from being done. I will be going with a more... "Light saber-y" approach. So some pinks will be worked in there.

Thanks again for the kind words. Pics will be up after my 20 hours.

I always imagined that if an "Angel" fell from grace, his wings would be black. The theme of this army is kind of a what if scenario. The fluff for the Blood Angels and successors is that they are a dying group of chapters either destined for extinction or the ruinous powers. The Sons of Amareo embrace either fate. As a result, they are the Stone Cold Steve Austins of the Astartes. Hence the UltraMarines helmets.

Finally you have returned eh?

Okay some C&C:

- Overall I feel the piece is nice, clean, and smooth.

- I think in alot of areas on the model you need to push the contrast because some areas are lacking that like, the NMM Gold (Brighter highlights and you can go a little darker in the shades), Wings (Not done right? But brighter highlights needed), Sword (I would change the sword to another colour because it is too close to the armour's colour).

Also Sha'son I need bigger pictures to have a better look at your new piece, so get some bigger photos and I will C&C again!

But from what I can see, thats all I can give right now. Get bigger photos xD!

Vtraxx Out

Hey Kid! How have you been? Won a daemon yet?

Anyoo... I think I do not wish to take the wings up another hilight. I want them to stay black and look black.

All the metallics are with metallic paints. It is a recipe I got from "Bohun" over on CMON. I can forward it to you tonight. I agree I should take the contrast up a notch on the lighter areas but I fear I will overwork the mini and then it will o in the scrap pile, which means parts will be recycled and I do not want that.

As far as the sword, not sure if I really want to do a different color. Everyone always goes green or blue. I wanted it to be an Encarmine Blade.

I will post pics after I clean up the major paint explosion in my garage... long story...

I think hes right, keep the blade red, this model your focus needs to be on the centre of the model painting the blade would just distract you from where your supposed to be looking. Which is one of the reasons i belive the cherub needs to be muted. But I love this model its convinced me to have another go at my own chapter master.

Thank you. I took a lesson from Bohun over at CMON... if you haven't seen his stuff, check it out. That Juggernaut is the stuff wet dreams are made of... well not quite, Megan Fox is :huh: , but you get the picture... It took him a little while to get back to me, so I had already started the model. BUT, the next model in the queue is a Sternguard for my Strike army, so I will be employing his method more closely on the gold.

Archived