Obliterator Cult Colours?

Zeruel

I'm in the planning stages for my next army which is going to be Iron Warriors themed and so there's going to be some Obliterators. Trouble is I'm a bit of a fluff nut and it always seems odd to me that Obliterators always have the same paint scheme as the rest of the warband when they are essentially a mercenary unit. I would have thought they would have their own heraldry of sorts but no where have I ever seen their cult's paint scheme. Has it ever been mentioned as to what they would have their armor painted like? I was hoping to do that with just a few patches of the armor showing their current alliance with m Iron Warriors as it would both be fluffy and allow them to stand out somewhat without feeling out of place. What are your guys thoughts? I was thinking maybe darker reds, bronze, browns and such for a Dark Mechanicus feel, though more of a beaten metal and factory worn look than the more Khornate colours that sounds like.

GW, in their great brilliant stroke of genius in ret-conning Obliterators from being mutated/infected special troops in the warband coming from members of the warband being infected with the techno-virus to become possessed and mutated Techmarines who form an own cult and hired their services, forgot to give us a color scheme.

TDA

Mine just wear BL colors. Just give them whatever color you feel appropriate.

It's that way even on official piccies.

Besides a merc unit can always have temporarily picked up the colors of it's employer.

Sometimes it's even logical given the Chaos infighting, best to make clear what side you're on.

I think of them more as mutated/infected/possessed special troops of the legion, so mine are done in BL colors.

If you wnated them to be different then the IW scheme, you could read "mechanicum" and get some color scheme ideas from there

I'd just go with Iron Warriors colors. It's well known that the Obliterator Cult works very closely with Iron Warriors, and Iron Warriors work very closely with Dark Mechanicus. In fact, I'll bet a lot of Obliterators ARE Iron Warriors, or at least formerly.

Maybe, the Obliterator Cults are more concerned with producing grotesque war machines than what colors they are wearing? I think it might be up to the chaos lord's control they fall under to decided what they will be marked/colored with.

Archived