Land Raider question

Vorrt

To start, if this has already, I apologize.

If I buy a Land Raider as a Heavy choice, can I deploy the Land Raider with a unit already embarked inside it?

Example:

I buy a Land Raider as a heavy choice.

My HQ is a Captain with a Command Squad.

Could the Command Squad and Captain start embarked inside the Land Raider, when it is initially deployed on the table? (Assuming they arrive at the same time, in case of reserves)

Yes they can all deploy in the transport. And yes as such they will all arrive at the same time.

It's on p94 of the BRB in the Preparing reserves section, para 4.

You must declare at deployment stage to your opponent what units/ICs are going into which transports and whether or not thhey are in reserve.

Cheers

I

Follow up question:

Thanks for the pointing out the rule for reserves.

Can you direct me to the rule that mentions being able to be deployed at the start of the game already in a Land Raider? I have a friend that we play with that is arguing against being able to start a unit at the beginning of the game already in a Land Raider NOT bought as a dedicated transport for that unit.

unfortunatley, there is no concise line of text in support of the ability to start a non-dedicated transport on the table with a unit embarked.

the ability is alluded to in the box titled "Dedicated Transports" on BRB P67 and on P94, "organizing reserves" neither of which deal directly with deploying a non-dedicated transport.

as the only defined "legal" way to embark upon a transport is in the movement phase, some hold that this mechanic must be used to embark on turn one.

most people, however, believe that you MAY start embarked and it is merely an oversight in the rules (there are no general "deployment" rules in the book, only the 3 deployment types descriptions which do not cover such issues).

Sorry Vorrt I misread your original question and thought you were talking about reserve entry non-dedicated pre-loaded :cuss.

As nighthawks says, starting the table in a non-dedicated transport is not mentioned specifically, but by means of highlighting that dedicated transports operate differently – thus being the acception to the 'normal' way. While p94 does indeed allude to "all transports" starting loaded that is from the reserve stance only. We fill in the gaps... :P.

as the only defined "legal" way to embark upon a transport is in the movement phase, some hold that this mechanic must be used to embark on turn one.

Aye indeed but I'm not sure on this it seems a weak line to take. Consider that a dedicated transport's pre-embarked unit obviously embarked 'legally' in a phase other than a movement phase and as the procedure for embarking/disembarking from a transport is the same whether dedicated or not (well once on the table anyway) – is this as an argument per se for not allowing troops onto non-dedicated transports before deployment??

There is this small passage in the transport rules nighthawk has refered to:

"The only limitation of a dedicated transport is that when it is deployed it can only carry the unit it was selected with (...)"

Rulebook, page 67.

There is also the example given in the "dawn of war" deployment scenario:

"player B then deploys a unit of Troops, already embarked into their dedicated transports (which is the second unit of Troops). He then deploys an independent character from his HQ, joining the unit embarked in the transport."

Rulebook, page 93.

Then of course there are drop pods, and I hope no one will argue that a squad can not be deployed while being already inside the drop pod.

I certainly won't. but I have seen it done, so I like to present it to diffuse it early on.

it is "known" that starting embarked is legal. no one I have met has ever ruled otherwise.

personally i don't know why my friend is so against letting a SM Com squad start in the Raider. They ain't doing anything, so it's one less target to shoot at, personally, which gives me more chances to focus my fire eslewheres.

Deploying already embarked is only a benefit to your opponent rather than a negative. It means if he gets turn one and is lucky enough to explode your Land Raider, the command squad are going to take stronger hits AND risk being pinned in the wreckage, which won't happen if they deploy outside of it. Point that out to him and see if he changes his mind.

That's why I always deploy outside of my transport (at least if I don't have turn one), but near enough to be able to embark, then on turn one I embark and move the transport. This doesn't impede the movement of the transport at all if the squad move to it rather than the other way round, and the only downside is the slight vulnerability that the squad has before they embark.

Archived