VTOL Landspeeder Storm!

rusty1109

Hi all,

Just got my first lss kit in the post and i've started this conversion. The aim is to make it look like it is a VTOL aircraft a bit like the ones in crysis. I'm not a big fan of the repeller plate idea tbh! This is still very WIP but you get the idea, the engines are rotatable and a bit loose at the moment so thats why they don't quite line up yet.

All comments advice and criticism welcome!

Heres the pics:

gallery_44139_3380_711140.jpg

gallery_44139_3380_281411.jpg

gallery_44139_3380_537692.jpg

gallery_44139_3380_1377956.jpg

gallery_44139_3380_371469.jpg

gallery_44139_3380_523876.jpg

What I would do is have the thrusters attached together via an axle. so when you turn one it turns the other, that way they are always uniform. Also this would let you have those front thrusters parallel to the rear thrusters, and more efffective.

I like it, reminds me of a mini Thunderhawk Transporter

Hi everyone, here's my my first post in this forum !

Not that I don't like the model (except for the front engines). However, I fail to see the point in giving VSTOL capabilities to a vehicle with gravity engines. It kinda floats anyway :lol:

i like the idea of using VTOL's in the game, and have considered doing so myself

but if yours is inspired by crysis then i wouldn't base it on a Landspeeder model

for example fo those who dont know this is what it looks like:

VTOL

VTOL Transporter

Lots of VTOL's

as you can see its very similar to a Valkyrie/Vulture

but if you were going for the idea of a VTOL in 40k then its definately a good start

(EDIT~: as you can see from the 3rd pic, the wings rotate where the thrusters are)

Hi all,

Thanks for the comments everyone it's always nice to hear what people think,

sgtNACHO and Marshal van Trapp, thankyou of course such a simple idea, can't beleive i didn't think of it!

sword brethren, Brother Tuditanus and Bifrons,

The front engines were trcky for obvious reasons. I think it's ok though.

The outward angle would send the efflux away from the passengers. But the side engines would only very rarely point directly backwards anyway.

The winglets are clearly too small to generate enough lift to keep the craft airborne even at high speed.

The purpose of the extra engines is to always point at least partially downwards keeping the craft aloft. The main thrust is from the 3 engines mountes in the rear of the speeder, the side engines are only for vertical thrust. In forward flight they will tilt more towards the horizontal which will give extra speed as well as tilting the winglets into the airflow so they create some lift therefore saving fuel (the speeder will always be kept in the air mainly by the thrust from the 4 extra engines.

Even though from a modelling point of view my engines will be linked and rotate together in real life (in my head i suppose lol!) they operate independantly and are also used for control.

Basically what i'm saying is that in my head the way it works means that it doesn't matter that the front engines flare out as it would only really be an aerodynamic problem when they are fully horizontal which will almost never happen.

And i've got a cunningly prepared piece of fluff to explain why my chapters tech marines bothered with all this in the first place:

My chapters home planet (or a planet where they spent an extended period of time fighting not decided yet) has an extremely weak magnetic field for reasons unknown so standard repeller plate terchnology cannot be used, necessitating this modification. And as is the way of things the chapter got used to having their speeders this way and made it the standard.

One thing i'm thinking of is landing gear, i'm thinking skids at the minute aka battlestar galacticas fighters.

But while i was thinking of it it made me wonder, how do normal landspeeders land?

Landing gear would be a real challenge for this as i'm not sure where i'd relocate the sensor thingy at the bottom!

Interesting idea, but I too have to protest the angle of those front engines.

VTOL engines provide lift on takeoff, and then thrust during flight. Sure, those front engines would provide lift on takeoff, but when rotated for thrust during flight, the force of the engine would put enormous stress on the front of the speeder, effectively "pinching" it til it crumpled inward.

I dont think speeders land, i think they are probably clamped or have a special dock, then switch the engines off.

My only critasizm would be the inward pointing engines.... i looks odd which is a shame because its a brilliant idea and i think suites the marines much better then ghravity plates. The thunderhawks are kept in the sky by brute force and good old fashoned jets why shouldnt the landspeedrs. tbh the idea of the landspeedrs "anti grav" never appealed to me i much prefer this, leave the anti grav to the eldar and the tau.

I do think that your engines would look better like the second example.

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y104/ilivefordeath/vtol.jpg

Having the wings the way you do seems to me to ruin the lines of the design, which ive begin to appreciate after scratch building a thunderhawk, everything on the spacemarine veichles is either one of two angles. 90 degrees or 45, well mostly.

The thunderhawk transporter has front and back engines and they look like my above example.

Im just saying this because I LOVE the idea, and I WILL be using it, and we all want you to habe the best possible design, no one here will purposefully give you bad advice.

Hi all,

Your right, i see my folly now! I thought it would be too much of a challenge to extend the fuselage but was quite easy really, heres the latest pics with the front engines repositioned, and the landing gear completed:

gallery_44139_3380_231095.jpg

gallery_44139_3380_727678.jpg

gallery_44139_3380_564326.jpg

gallery_44139_3380_539809.jpg

Your right it does look much better!

Archived