Iron Warrior's Upgrade kit from GW

LPetersson

Basically, I want to put some Iron Warriors together, and I was looking at the upgrade packs GW have on their site:

http://www.games-workshop.com/gws/catalog/...dId=prod1110164

It looks pretty cool in those pictures, but is it worth getting for a new Warsmith?

Cheers in advance :whistling:

(If any one have pictures of them used, I would be most obliged)

I remember when GW actually sold Iron Warriors..or was that Night Lords?

anyway, its a so-so deal, you don't need it to get the feel. If you're cutting costs then it's not worth it, if you're die-hard and want a fluffy looking army, have at it.

Yeah, except the upgrade kit is a bunch of helmets and shoulderpads, and some weapons. Really, unless you want those weapons for your Marines, then it's just making the models fancier. Iron Warriors don't get special Rules anymore and are another paint scheme to GW as it is.

Yeah, except the upgrade kit is a bunch of helmets and shoulderpads, and some weapons. Really, unless you want those weapons for your Marines, then it's just making the models fancier. Iron Warriors don't get special Rules anymore and are another paint scheme to GW as it is.

I thought they got an extra Heavy Weapons slot... Have I been looking at an old Codex?

Basically, I want to put some Iron Warriors together, and I was looking at the upgrade packs GW have on their site:

http://www.games-workshop.com/gws/catalog/...dId=prod1110164

It looks pretty cool in those pictures, but is it worth getting for a new Warsmith?

Cheers in advance :whistling:

(If any one have pictures of them used, I would be most obliged)

I you think it worth it I would say go ahead as it is your army that the end of the day :blush: As for useing bits I only tend to use the helmet with no horn (the once to the left of the photo) just my image of IW is a bit diffrent (I use mainly plastic, T face bezerker heads, that helmet I said, IW shoulder pads & lot of spike as I am not a fan of the whole horn thing).

But as said though I only use a few bits I do think it worth it, make your chaos marines stand out a bit from the normal set as it where (bit like if you order the FW conversion packs). As for photos

http://www.bolterandchainsword.com/index.p...howtopic=171657

I'd also suggest that you also get the metal IW pads, I use them on ever singel Chaos Marine. Nice detail

IP

I thought they got an extra Heavy Weapons slot... Have I been looking at an old Codex?

Edit: I'm not following right, are we talking about 3.5 codex or 4.0 codex rules? Or you reffering to the Chaos Marines troop choice and the requirements for heavy weapons in a squad?

I wouldn't use it, but thats only because I don't work with metal, I just don't like it.

However for a way to give your CSMs some more flavor, have you looked at the Chaos Warrior heads from Fantasy?

http://www.thewarstore.com/product27427.html

Gives a more old school feel if thats what you're going for.

Just a little answer for what incinerator asked first: Yes, back in 3rd Edition GW released box sets for both Iron Warriors and Night Lords, they also sold an Iron Warriors Warsmith and a Night Lords hero seperately. Interestingly enough, they ALSO sold a box of Death Guard Havocs (I bought about 6 of these when they were 50% off at a local hobby store, lol), back when Death Guard had dedicated Havocs in 3.5...

Back on topic. I'd search eBay first for people selling their kits or whatnot (I always suggest this anyhow). The Iron Warriors kits are really nice, however GW charges way too much IMO, and if you really wanted to you could simply pick up the Iron Warriors (or Silver Skulls, for that matter) shoulder pads. Also, if you're looking for helms that resemble the IW pack / Pre-Heresy, check out MAXMINI. They have awesome pieces for conversions, including some older Mk. helms that would be perfect in an IW army. Also some great Pre-Heresy Jump Packs too in case you decide to take Raptors!

Links:

Iron Warriors Conversion Kit

Iron Warriors Warsmith

Iron Warriors Shoulder Pads

Silver Skulls Shoulder Pads

MAXMINI "Steam Knight" Helms

MAXMINI Pre-Heresy Design Jump Packs

You might as well just mix a CSM box with a Berzerker box. Cut off any horns and the khorne bunny ears. The zerker T helmets look great as Iron warriors once you get rid of the bunny ears and you get whole models for your money.

Dont listen to them.

Its expensive, but I find it worth it. The chest and helmets give you a very different look from the normal marine kits and looks sharp.

Its not cheap for the conversion kits plus shoulder pads. But it does give you a ver nice look.

I highly recommend it.

You have.

New codex: No special rules for anyone. Everyone is the same. Go generic :)

TDA

The vast majority of my IWs are converted. You don't need the lascannon, you don't need the torsos.

There is nothing utlra special about the lascannon, same goes for the torsos. I personally like the melta but if you have enough there is nothing that really rings IW about the melta.

The heads are another story. One I don't care for, nothing really IW about it. The other three, especially the knight looking one are great. The best bits for converting IWs are the Iron Hand conversion kits if you can find any. My other favorite thing to do is get a warsmith and instead of building him mix his parts with normal CSM bits to make my champions. I'll even put his claw on normal CSMs as a cc weapon. Makes for great conversions. The shoulder pads are also a good buy. the silver skull shoulder pads make for great pre heresy IWs. If you want just helmets without the other stuff you can sometimes find them on ebay in packs by themselves.

I bought the Night Lords conversion pack. Its okay. The shoulder pads are nice, and you get 12 helmets. However, a couple of the heads just look ridiculous and I dont use them. The others I bent to give a more natural look (instead of the stiff erection)

Anyways, point is, I dont use the helmets on all 50+ of my marines, but they blend in well and I like them. The metal doesnt bother me, as youre not going to do any converting on these tiny pieces.

You have.

New codex: No special rules for anyone. Everyone is the same. Go generic :lol:

TDA

Damnation! So I have... Oh well, in that case I'll take it slowly and not worry too much about getting a whole grand company up and running...

You have.

New codex: No special rules for anyone. Everyone is the same. Go generic :lol:

TDA

Damnation! So I have... Oh well, in that case I'll take it slowly and not worry too much about getting a whole grand company up and running...

You can only field 3 heavies in normal 40k games; but Apocalypse and Planetstrike (defenders) get more than 3 HS choices.

So go all-out on you IWs; field your favorite 3 heavies (oblits for fluff reasoning) during normal games, and all the rest in Apoc/Planetstrike games. :D

As for the OP, I'd say get some IW bits and pieces (and maybe some of the other suggested pieces to mix it up). But, I wouldn't get bits and pieces for every single model. As a (somewhat) related example, I had a box of Night Lords, but those 8 minis were used to build my Aspiring Champions w/ dragon wing helms; the other 9 troopers in the units are normal CSM marines. Gives you the 'feel' for the force, but isn't 'overwhelming' either - and helps make the ACs stand out in the heat of battle.

Archived