The Black Legion Short Story in Heroes of the Space Marines

Prot

Okay that might be a bit of exaggeration, but if you've read the story about the Black Legion squad, you gotta agree it's one of the best ones out there (not featuring Abbadon).

If you haven't read the short story, "Honour Among Fiends", don't read any further; I don't want to give it away that being said.... this is just a LIGHT review of the story.

I don't have the book in front of me so excuse me not using proper names. Basically this story follows an interesting time in a lifetime, or several lifetimes, of war for a Black Legion squad, led by a pretty potent dude named Scaevolla (?).

Dylan doesn't portray the squad as a bunch of space zombies in space marine armour. In fact these men are not only ancient but their exposure to thousands of years of battle has hardened them in ways that a 'normal' marine just can't fathom. This squad doesn't walk around looking for brains, or missing with every shot they fire. Instead they are efficient, and ruthless with a goal and a strategy to fullfill it.

These Black Legion marines are very good at what they do and Chaos has rewarded them accordingly. Some of the squad enjoy the fruits of their labour, but some have not faired quite as well. Concentration seems to be difficult at times, and sometimes you're wondering if some of the squad is on the verge of possession, or fighting off some unknown force from completely overwhelming them.

No it isn't all gravy for these guys but I really like how the author showed that Chaos isn't worthless. There are powerful allies to have in the warp stuff, and some aren't so kind.

Leading up to the end, you're left wondering if Scaevolla is going to remain this 'warp blessed' individual, but you soon realize he is living a curse of his own. Life has little meaning to a warrior that has slayed as many as him, and he has trouble experiencing any real.. joy in it. To a degree we kind of wonder if Scaevolla enjoys his lifestyle as much as we enjoy reading about it. In the end we find out his true curse, and an experience from many lifetimes ago he may regret deep down inside.

I think a few people are going to poo-poo on the story, just because they can, but I really liked it and I've read a LOT of BAD chaos fiction. I just wanted to make sure anyone who enjoys a good chaos read gives the story a shot. It even made me want to roll a Black Legion army... again. LOL!

Anyone else read it? Any thoughts?

Although I haven't read the story you have definitely piqued my interest quite a lot as this character sounds a lot like Forrix, who was the only character I liked in Storm of Iron. Somewhere along the way however, CSM's changed from highly experienced and deadly if heavily jaded soldiers into a bunch of frothing evil redshirts who run around like power armored orks.

Too bad really as I remember way back when (2001 maybe?) reading in a White Dwarf the accounts of a warsmith regarding his various battles and it was written in a very terse and sober prose, showing some arrogance "they couldn't run an Iron Warrior gunline and live, no-one can" but overall a level head and a cold heart. Exactly what Chaos should be. Nice review, I think I will have to pick this book up.

Yes I liked the take the author took on this story as well, and its one i think a lot of chaos players would much prefer to see more often. I found it ironic that the squad of chaos marines were so close and loyal but in the other stories the loyalist marines seem to fight with each other and have a ton of grudges against their fellow marines :).

On the down side i didnt really like the bit where the gods used their combined powers to make him invincible :s (least I think thats what happend). I dont think that was very realistic because if they could why dont they do it all the time?

I dont think that was very realistic because if they could why dont they do it all the time?

Because how fun would it be to watch someone who wants it have it?

It's the irony who makes them do it, it's the torment they put the "gifted" one through that makes it fun for them. The Gods don't care whether their win or not since they have all the time in the world, they just want to make sure that they have fun. :)

TDA

Read that too and personally, as a Black Legionnaire for the last seven years, it was a pleasure to read it, to read a Black Legion story for the first time ever, a well written one I might add. :)

The end amused me, it was nicely ironic.

To be honest I felt it was the weakest, I did not enjoy it at all.

While I give credit to him making the Chaos marines out to be a threat , and as anchient veterans blessed by the Dark Gods, he hade the Fists too weak, a single captain can't handle a Berzerker? It seems pretty pathetic ot me, and then they kill dozens and dozens of Fists, whi can't seem to do anything at all.

Although I haven't read the story you have definitely piqued my interest quite a lot as this character sounds a lot like Forrix, who was the only character I liked in Storm of Iron. Somewhere along the way however, CSM's changed from highly experienced and deadly if heavily jaded soldiers into a bunch of frothing evil redshirts who run around like power armored orks.

@Rain I like that... frothing evil redshirts. But I completely agree. Aside from the Heresy stuff, this is a rare opportunity to see a thinking, cold, calculating Chaos with character yet!

Read that too and personally, as a Black Legionnaire for the last seven years, it was a pleasure to read it, to read a Black Legion story for the first time ever, a well written one I might add. biggrin.gif

The end amused me, it was nicely ironic.

@Dràyhèn Yea, I loved the twist at the end too. I didn't want to go in to detail in case people haven't read it.

On the down side i didnt really like the bit where the gods used their combined powers to make him invincible :s (least I think thats what happend). I dont think that was very realistic because if they could why dont they do it all the time?

@kickingbird, I kind of agree with Dark Apostle on this one. I mean I don't think 'power' is infinite in the warp BUT I think the Chaos gods, whether minor, or significant in power, KNOW a good thing when they see it. A space marine willing to kill in their name, in the material world.... well I think that's a very potent attraction for a chaos god. How amusing it must be for a Chaos god to have the patronage of a captain like Scaevolla and his men! For enforcing their will OR simple amusement. I actually think I understand completely why they would 'invest' so heavily in Scaevolla. ;)

To be honest I felt it was the weakest, I did not enjoy it at all.

While I give credit to him making the Chaos marines out to be a threat , and as anchient veterans blessed by the Dark Gods, he hade the Fists too weak, a single captain can't handle a Berzerker? It seems pretty pathetic ot me, and then they kill dozens and dozens of Fists, whi can't seem to do anything at all.

@Gree, Ah well, I knew this was coming. I respect your opinion, as long as it isn't based on your loyalist frailties being offended! ;)

As far as your point about what exactly got killed by Scaevolla's men, let me take a stab at defending what the author was thinking. You say yourself we are talking about an 'ancient' threat. VERY ancient... and blessed by some dark entities. I don't think the Fists were too weak considering not only this fact, but Scaevolla and his men saw a unique opportunity to operate, somewhat covertly, within the operation of massive scale corrupt IG force!

Now I realize Fists may not look at IG, whether loyal or corrupt, as a tremendous threat, but at this point in the story, they know they are defending a losing cause. The battle is all but over, and you have a fist full of Fists (pun intended) defending a fortification that has just had a Landraider burst through it, is full of Berzerkers, and Corrupt IG types going hog wild, and in walk some of the most experienced, hardcore Black Legion these Fists have ever had the displeasure of meeting.

I'm not making excuses, but the bottom line is Scaevolla's men are not an everyday occurrence. These guys have been fighting so long, the moves are memorized, the thrill of battle... nearly gone! Enhanced by who knows what abilities..... a squad member on the verge of total 'spawn hood' (?) and you think these Fists have a chance? We'd have to agree to disagree on that one.

I think the difference in experience and ability are very well captured in the final... 'duel'. (I don't want to go into too much detail on that one.)

I enjoyed it for many of the same reasons that were already mentioned. It really gave a new glimpse into what Chaos could be, cold calculating professionals.

It also did a very good job of showing the kind of life a Chaos Marine will live while blessed by the dark gods. Very double edged sword like.

I too really enjoyed seeing the legionnaires portrayed as more than just standard marines with anger issues. I'd like to post more, but...rum. TBH I'm amazed even as I type this that it's grammatically correct.

@Rain-I remember that story too...it was written by pete haines regarding his iron warriors army that took part in a campaign (far as i remember this was an excellent issue of white dwarf...including an article on pete haines iron warriors army and how he built it up etc...wish white dwarf was that good all the time!).

Will have to check out this story...normally GW make chaos a bit...80's...:)

Yup, I remember that issue. Wasn't it the one where his Warsmith acquires his power axe from a Champion?

I'm trying to remember.. that might have been the time... just before the Eye of Terror campaign? By far the best campaign GW EVER ran.

If my memory serves, there was also this cool story that Abaddon sends for Lucius. He dispatches a squad to call him in, and Lucius kills the entire squad save one dude just to tell Abe, 'Yea, yea, I'll be there.'

Yup, I remember that issue. Wasn't it the one where his Warsmith acquires his power axe from a Champion?

I'm trying to remember.. that might have been the time... just before the Eye of Terror campaign? By far the best campaign GW EVER ran.

If my memory serves, there was also this cool story that Abaddon sends for Lucius. He dispatches a squad to call him in, and Lucius kills the entire squad save one dude just to tell Abe, 'Yea, yea, I'll be there.'

Oohh really? Where is this, it sounds like fun.

I need to find me some more of the fluff/background on the EoT campaign, it was prior to me starting the hobby.

Too bad really as I remember way back when (2001 maybe?) reading in a White Dwarf the accounts of a warsmith regarding his various battles and it was written in a very terse and sober prose, showing some arrogance "they couldn't run an Iron Warrior gunline and live, no-one can" but overall a level head and a cold heart.

The "Diary of a Warsmith", set during the Vogen Campaign, GW's studio Cityfight campaign.

I really enjoyed the build up to the campaign. Felt even more apocalyptic than the "Time of Ending".

Not Lucius, a guy called Evenus. It was a tidbit they released when the EC miniatures came out.

Yeah as someone has mentioned it was from the Vogen campaign that went along with the 3rd edition Cityfight book. I think the "getting the axe" thing you remember Prot is from a battle report in which the Iron Warriors fight the Black Legion and at the end Honsou arrives, kills the Black Legion lord and takes his axe.

If that's what you are talking about then yes, that was indeed part of the EoT campaign. All this talk is really making me miss 3rd edition, you know back when GW still tried.

Thanks for sorting out my timing on those stories... I read them all, but too much time in the warp, and now the order in which those stories happened is lost to me. :blush:

I remember the Batrep, and I forgot it was a Black Legion champ that was slayed for the axe.

Evenus! That's right, he's the guy that butchered some poor Black Legion guys.

See there's some good fiction out there, it's just hidden! I think the recent stories in the Heroes of the Space Marines (Black Legion story, Honsou/Huron story) show there is a strong desire for us to see MORE of this caliber of Chaos storytelling. It would be nice to get more of that sort of stuff, not just short stories.

Archived