Wraithguard + Warlock

My question concerns a problem my friend and I encountered while playing Eldar.

He likes to take Wraithguard with a Warlock + Spirit Stone, which is pretty much the standard build for them.

However, we're a bit unclear as to whether or not a squad of Wraithguard with a Warlock attached are fearless or not.

A squad is normally fearless only if everyone in the squad is. However, the Warlock is not stated to be fearless anywhere, even when attached to Wraithguard.

The GW FAQ had no answer for this. Does anyone know the answer to this? It seems intuitive that the Warlock should get fearless since he's attached to a unit that has it normally, but it also makes sense that he wouldn't because it isn't stated anywhere.

That issue is explained in the "fearless" rules on page 75 in the rulebook. Basicaly, it is allways depending on the Unit, not the Independent Character. If the unit is fearless, but the character is not, then the whole of Unit + Character will be fearless. If the unit is not fearless, but the character is, then the whole of unit + character will not be fearless.

A Warlock isnt a character- its a unit upgrade, and it cannot take spiritstones.

A Farseer is a character, and can take spiritstones... so Im going to assume that was what you were refering to, and so legatus is correct.

I am curious though.... how is it affected by a squad upgrade that isnt fearless?

additionally, it would be wise to remember that Characters aren't necessarily independent. tactical squad sgts, for example, are characters (upgrade characters, specifically). see P47 of the BRB for character info.

Wraithguard's unit entry in the "beastiary" (for lack of a better term) of codex: Eldar (P46) states that they are fearless and convey fearless to any "characters" joining them. the warlock is stated as being a "character" in this instance, so would be fearless according to the wraithguard's fearless rule.

technically, the vet sgt of a C:SM tac squad is not an "upgrade" as he is a required member. but he is a character (not that it ever matters in that instance). so yeah - I could have picked a better example. think ork boys mob Nob instead.

Archived