Night Lords Help

ok so recently i've decided to dust off some older armies and get them up to speed with 5th. Now first on the list are my night Lords. Now i've had them since way back when they were pretty much khorne berzerkers. but unfortunatly they kinda set by idly by at the turn of the edition. well with planet strike out i thought of bringing em back. so theres some background

now traditionally i've run them with the mark of khorne, and i'm tempted to do it again, but i'm unsure chaos glory is cheaper, but so is slaanesh. but all that for another day (though feel free to throw in your 2 cents, though note this isn't a tourney force, just for fun). so this is what i have for the army (well i suppose there is more, but it all got assimilated into other armies)

1 daemon prince/termy lord

1 kharne/chaos lord

1 chaos lord with wings

4 units of 10 with plasma pistols (though these could easily be plasma guns) (2 have champions w/powerfists, 2 power weapons)

1 unit raptors w/champion and power sword, and 2 plasma pistols

3 oblits

5 terms (1 chain fist, 1 reaper)

1 dread with twin las

1 dread with plasma cannon

i guess i was wondering a few things. first do you guys think i should bulk up my fast attack or my heavy support? i usually like to do a raptor/term rush with this army, and given this one will be played only in city fight and planet strike that is very viable. but i'm concerned about being out gunned, and have been thinking about going with more heavy support, like maybe more oblits. i don't want to do a defiler as i don't think it will fit with the look of the army (it has been made off the old notion that some night lord warbands still run around similarly to alpha legion (posing like regular marines and operating in imperial space) and using this guise to take worlds). but otherwise i would love to hear your input, thanks for your time.

Unfortunatly, Night Lords wouldnt really use terminators or dreadnoughts, fluff-wise. The Night Lords specialize in terror raids and very fast guerrilla tactics. The Night Lords were the first legion to employ Raptors and basically that is one of their most common units. Mechanised Chaos Tactical squads, Raptors, Jump-Pack/Winged lord or sorcerer, bikes maybe, and Obliterators/furies/spawn are about as diverse as the fluff would go.

Its just my opinion but, I try to go by the fluff. I would do Night Lords if they actually supported terminators, dreads, preds, etc but I find it hard to see an army of speed with foot slogging terminators, dreads, daemon princes, many daemons at all, etc.

Now, if you want a terror-inducing Chaos Space Marine force, go with the mighty and ever so dark-smurfy Black Legion. They have everything.

If you are looking for a God to follow, thats up to you and your mood towards the particular god. I personally disdain Nurgle and Slaanesh for my own reasons. Perhaps not so much Slaanesh because those armies have boobies. ^^ But seriously, its up to you if you follow a god. Who wouldn't want a chaos lord who can potentially get up around 16 attacks on the charge or a chaos sorcerer (lord) who can fire like 6 shots at ap 3 i believe or use a variety of psychic powers wearing terminator armor?

Unfortunatly, Night Lords wouldnt really use terminators or dreadnoughts, fluff-wise. The Night Lords specialize in terror raids and very fast guerrilla tactics. The Night Lords were the first legion to employ Raptors and basically that is one of their most common units. Mechanised Chaos Tactical squads, Raptors, Jump-Pack/Winged lord or sorcerer, bikes maybe, and Obliterators/furies/spawn are about as diverse as the fluff would go.

Its just my opinion but, I try to go by the fluff. I would do Night Lords if they actually supported terminators, dreads, preds, etc but I find it hard to see an army of speed with foot slogging terminators, dreads, daemon princes, many daemons at all, etc.

I dunno about you but If I was standing in the trench lines having a cig and suddenly a unit of Night Lords teleported in front of me I would **** myself. They may not be the main part of the NL force but I could see them being used as a killing blow on a static objective before returning to the ship in orbit.

If your doing this with planetstrike and city fight in mind then I think raptors and termies would be great. As for being out-gunned maybe but in City fight your advance (which as your deepstriking should't be to far) should be covered by terrain so blocking LOS from large parts of his army. Unless he bundles up in one place & in that case you just surround and destroy :D. As for Planet strike you will be able to deepstrike and assault when you attack, chainfists into tanks and bunkers lightening claws into men and so on.

I guess defending could make it harder for you... thats when you want to break out your Iron Warriors themed list ;)

I dunno about you but If I was standing in the trench lines having a cig and suddenly a unit of Night Lords teleported in front of me I would **** myself.

Ahhh, the old "if it's scarry then it's fluffy NL's" . Well everything in the chaos dex is supposed to be scarry, But not everything is NL(ish).

Defilers certainly would be scarry, but I don't really consider defilers when I think NL's. T'sons; empty suits of armor that keep coming and rapid firing no matter what you hit them with, scarry, certainly not NL's. Plaguebearers, repulsive, and terrifing, but not really NL's.

I'm not saying that NL's wouldn't use termi's, I think they probably would (dreads...not so much). But the "if it's scarry then it's fluffy for NL's" is not very accurate.

I dunno about you but If I was standing in the trench lines having a cig and suddenly a unit of Night Lords teleported in front of me I would **** myself.

Ahhh, the old "if it's scarry then it's fluffy NL's" . Well everything in the chaos dex is supposed to be scarry, But not everything is NL(ish).

Defilers certainly would be scarry, but I don't really consider defilers when I think NL's. T'sons; empty suits of armor that keep coming and rapid firing no matter what you hit them with, scarry, certainly not NL's. Plaguebearers, repulsive, and terrifing, but not really NL's.

I'm not saying that NL's wouldn't use termi's, I think they probably would (dreads...not so much). But the "if it's scarry then it's fluffy for NL's" is not very accurate.

But what made them so scary? That they appeared out of nowhere... that my friend screams nightlords.

I'm pretty sure Night Lords use both terminators and dreadnoughts, heck the sample models on the boxes for both the old metal terminators and dreadnought were painted in NL colors! In any case the idea of any chaos warband not using terminator armor is ludicrous as all chaos champions strive for power and possession of such a grand relic is considered a great symbol of status.

NL probably use everything save vindicators and defilers (and demons and cult troops obviously) as I don't see them besieging anything, preferring to hit softer targets. If anything, giving them icons of a particular god (Khorne, Slaany etc) is very unfluffy as they hate the very idea of worship.

Oh and although they would use them, dreadnoughts are terrible, I imagine especially so on a cityfight board. Actually raptors aren't so hot either in my opinion but maybe they are better with a lot of terrain or icon of tzeentch or something.

Agreed chaos dreadnoughts are terrible as we dont have drop pods and if they footslog then they might roll fury or whatever it is and slaughter half the army in cc :blink:

They can't charge your units, but fire frenzy makes them shoot your units TWICE. This is very bad especially as most chaos armies take many rhinos and most dreadnought guns have the potential to seriously damage rhinos, nevermind the fact that it's wasting points the turn it does nothing but shoot your army.

wow this turned very interesting. any skull, as far as dread, i am one of the few remaining nutters that loves them. i run mine with a missle launcher and dccw. i find they VERY rarely kill any of my troops (as my scatter rolls SUCK, and i am lucky if i get a hit in like 20 games with my guard) but i find at a 100 points they are a great distraction. but i will conceed that normally they do indeed suck. any skull...i think you guys answered my questions well, and i am going to go with more raptors, maybe more oblits (not sure about that one yet) or a pred. but by the by this is a casual army, not at all for competitive. any skull, i'll post some pics of stuff once i can steal the digi cam from the wife. thanks again guys, and if you have more thoughts and ideas i'd love to hear them

Now, if you want a terror-inducing Chaos Space Marine force, go with the mighty and ever so dark-smurfy Black Legion. They have everything.

If you are looking for a God to follow, thats up to you and your mood towards the particular god. I personally disdain Nurgle and Slaanesh for my own reasons. Perhaps not so much Slaanesh because those armies have boobies. ^^ But seriously, its up to you if you follow a god. Who wouldn't want a chaos lord who can potentially get up around 16 attacks on the charge or a chaos sorcerer (lord) who can fire like 6 shots at ap 3 i believe or use a variety of psychic powers wearing terminator armor?

I'm pretty sure most of this is wrong. Night lords terminators are in a couple of shorts/fluffy bits in the current codex and rulebook. Predators are also a light, fast moving tank remember. They definetly fit with NL style. I think the only unit in the codex that doesn't would be defilers and possessed.

Chosen would definitely be great for Night Lords, ambushes and guerilla warfare a favorite of theirs. Havocs would work, slamming through a ruined city, jumping out and slagging an enemy squad, then moving on. Bikers... No one has mentioned bikers. I think Night Lords Bikers would be great. And in all truthfulness, I'd say Icon of Khorne would be perfect for these guys. Although you could always whip up a NL icon and say it's IoK.

Chosen would definitely be great for Night Lords, ambushes and guerilla warfare a favorite of theirs. Havocs would work, slamming through a ruined city, jumping out and slagging an enemy squad, then moving on. Bikers... No one has mentioned bikers. I think Night Lords Bikers would be great. And in all truthfulness, I'd say Icon of Khorne would be perfect for these guys. Although you could always whip up a NL icon and say it's IoK.

Well, night lords very specifically don't worship the gods. Using counts as with cult troops (mainly berserkers) is acceptable because the nightlords certainly would have some elite assault troops. But i'd say icons other than chaos glory should be out, which is fine since you rarely want to use anything else.

Yeah, I think that csm, chosen, raptors, termies and oblits would fit well in NL army.

I totally disagree with the fact that NL do not use termie armor - as it was mentioned, several Termies materializing in front (or behind) of the enemy unit and tearing it apart is pretty scary and violent. Also the scariness of NL is achieved not only with their surprise attack but also with the exceptional cruelty, they demonstrate on the battlefield, and what can be more cruel than a squad of termies ripping soldiers apart?

Unfortunately fluffy NL can not use any marks other than of Chaos Glory, as well as they can not use Khorne brzrkrz... However a group of brzkrz could join NL force in their constant search for violent bloodshed :angry:

I recall NL being one of the armies that shouldnt use any marks what so ever, and be left plain.

However, Night Lords have summoned demons simply for :cusss and giggles across planets. They're also the least mutated of the Traitor Legions.

Edit: My firefox is busted right now so I can't get things to work properly D:

actually incenerator the only daemons they use are furies, and they don't like or trust any of the gods. now i could be wrong but that is what i remember (but my memory is known to fail me, so please correct me if i'm wrong)

i love that model. unfortunatly my old one got broken (and his arms totally destroyed, as in run over) so i mixed him with kharne's model, and i think he looks REALLY cool now. the one i miss though is the warsmith.

actually incenerator the only daemons they use are furies, and they don't like or trust any of the gods. now i could be wrong but that is what i remember (but my memory is known to fail me, so please correct me if i'm wrong)
After seven days of fighting there are no survivors left from the Night Lords' attack and the butchered remains from both sides are laid out in talismanic patterns, to help with the summoning of a daemonic horde. Daemons rampage across half the world while the Night Lords head for the Eye of Terror, eluding Imperial warships intent on their capture.
Chaos is a tool for some NL and they use it as they see fit.

wow this turned very interesting. any skull, as far as dread, i am one of the few remaining nutters that loves them. i run mine with a missle launcher and dccw. i find they VERY rarely kill any of my troops (as my scatter rolls SUCK, and i am lucky if i get a hit in like 20 games with my guard) but i find at a 100 points they are a great distraction.

I never thought of that. Run it with a missile launcher, when it goes nuts say frag.

They're also the least mutated of the Traitor Legions.

I would of thought alpha or IW. Alpha because they are always gone and don't spend a lot of time in the EoT, or IWs because they replace mutations with bionics.

oh yeah dreads equiped like that are a ton of fun, as they still pose a signifigant threat to enemy vehicles (and so aren't easily ignorable), and only cost 100 points. i find it to be a great distraction. and worse case i roll 2 scatters on my guys, which i have yet to kill anyone. had to take a few saves, but no deaths.

• All Hqs are good choices -
  • All Elites except possessed - Possessed are obviously Daemons
  • CSM from troops - NLs dont use Cult troops
  • Bikes and Raptors - Spawn are daemons (and horrible)
  • Havocs, Predators, Landraiders only. -Obliterators are mercenaries, mutated, and most importantly - slow; Defilers are Daemons; Vindicators are Iron Warriors

Personally, Im bored of the oblit, zerkers, etc. powerlist (no thinking at all), and have been trying a fluffy NL list.

My 2k list is looking something like:

Hq.

Daemon Prince MoN, Wings and Warptime

Sorceror - Wings and Wind of Chaos

And rarely: Lord, MoS, Daemon Weapon, wings - to take down nobs or other multiwounders.

Elites

Either:

Chosen x5 with x5 flamers

Chosen x5 with x5 flamers

and possibly a terminator unit

or

Dreadnought with CCWs and flamer upgrade

Dreadnought with CCWs and flamer upgrade

and possibly Chosen x5 with 5x flamers

Troops

CSMs with 2x meltas, AC, Powerfist - basically fill up whatever points are left.

Fast Attack

Raptors x10 with meltas, AC, Powerfist, MoK - Sorceror runs with them

Heavy

Predator Tank - Equipped accordingly to the army

Predator Tank

Havocs with missles

-Rhinos for all infantry units

I dont care that Im using marks - to me theyre simply +1 A, +1 T, +1 I, and +1 Invul upgrades. Youre already hindering yourself to run this list.

This list is way more fun to run, and it actually doesnt do that bad. Everything moves 12 inches except for dreadnoughts. You have a lot of armour - around 6 or 7 after picking and choosing units, and every unit can take down tanks.

Generally Ive been choosing about 700 points worth of special stuff - which is actually quite a bit. Dreads are only 105, Chosen are 160, Preds are 100, and I consider havocs just like regular CSM anyways.

Basically in this list youre extremely fast, have AT all around, have plenty of armour, have a ton of infantry (usually over 1000 points worth between havocs and CSM, which is about ~50 marines). Heavy support is cheap enough but still strong enough to do a lot of damage. The one problem is, is if you lose your HS, you lose range, but due to the quick movement of the troops, you should be in CC by that time anyways.

I thought it was always about the numbers, but if you have an army that syncs well with one another, you can do just as well.

Archived