Retinue question

gmsniper

Can an IC that is in retinue form join another squad?

I want to say the answer is no because he is no longer an IC. I wish I could bring my codecies and BRB to work lol.

Alternatively other ICs could join the retinue freely?

Thanks- Greg

An IC cannot join more than one squad at a time... so in general... no.

There are a couple of times this isnt the case... but its where they buy the retinue as wargear- like tau gundrones and a commander, or space wolf HQs with fenrisian wolves.

Other ICs can join another characters retinue. BT have a few odd rules on this, but in general you can join any characters retinue youd like. The newly attached IC doesnt gain the benefit of being in a retinue however.

Thanks for the answer now that I have my scenario set up I have another question

How would wound allocation be worked out if I had this example Grey Knight BC with retinue, and SM commander, and a Librarian?

For assualt it would be whomever is in BTB and the attacks are directed against? is that correct.

For shooting I am slightly confused on how to work it out. Since I have single wound and multiple wound models who has to take the wounds first?

use regulare wound allocatoin for shooting. AKA roll to hit, roll to wound, assighn wounds to models (remember every model has to have one wound before you can put a second wound on anything.), group like models, roll armor saves.

In your example for close combat, the comander and libriarian will count as seperate targets, anyone in btb with them may attack them directly. The grey knight and retinue will count as single target and you will alocate wounds as normal in shooting.

Don't you have to remove whole models before spreading the wounds around as per page 26 of the BRB

The rules on pg.26 are for units of multiple wound models, such as Nobs and Orgyns.

A unit with a single IC (even 2 or more) do not use those rules.

You are both right and wrong.

Wound allocation happens before removing models, ala page 25 "complex units".

Note on pg 26 it says "if the unit consists of different models, first allocate the wounds suffered. Then take saves for identical models at the same time as normal"

So First you allocate wounds, every model must be assighned one wound before any model can hace a second, every model must have two wounds befor any model can have a third and so on. Then you divide the models into groups of identical models and roll your saves. Once in these identical groups then you are required to remove whole models whenever able.

it's harder to explain to some than to others - I guess we all think a bit differently. at any rate, once you have it sorted, it works well, and leads to a lot of optioned-out units to increase the uniqueness of the individual members / breakup save groups. good mechanic and a lot easier to use than the previous mixed armour rules.

Archived