How to protect a Titan?

ChaosPhoenix

Hi there!

I'm fielding my Reaver Titan on Saturday for the first time. I thought I'm allowed to field about 3000pts but with an increase of participating players, the points decreased. A lot. I'm now down to 2000pts with 1450 for the Reaver. I'm allowed to take a little more than 2000pts because the Reaver will be a mission objectiv. Has anyone of you experience with Titans?

The main threats for the Titan will be Titankiller weapons (well.. thats obvious) and monstrous creatures in close combat, please correct me, if I'm wrong. I wanted to take Marines and Stormshield Terminators to shield the Titan from close combat. What do you think?

The main threats for the Titan will be Titankiller weapons (well.. thats obvious) and monstrous creatures in close combat, please correct me, if I'm wrong. I wanted to take Marines and Stormshield Terminators to shield the Titan from close combat. What do you think?

I would say yes to Marines and no to Terminators. The reason being is that the biggest threat to enemy Titans is actually deep striking/fast moving Melta squads. They get inside your Void Shields and light you up with Melta shots within 6".

So to protect them, you'll need a screen of Marines and transports to block easy access to the Titan and tie up things before they can get to it.

You only have 550 points leftover and thats not alot to work with so what I'd do is take Tactical Squads in Rhinos with a Power Fist Plasma or Flamer and Multi-Melta or take some Rhino mounted Assault Squads with Power Fist and Flamers.

If you have any left over points, see if you can fit in a Razorback, for some shooting and LOS blocking.

Once the battle starts, use the Rhinos/Razorbacks as blockers and spread your Marines out the full 2" each. Create a zone around your Titan to block deep strikers or enemy assaulters.

The goal of your Marines and Rhinos is to buy your Titan time. Each turn its still alive, you'll be killing handfuls of enemy units so buy time with your bodies.

You could try the same idea with an army of Scouts, but I'm afraid that their crappier save and lack of transports for blocking LOS will hurt them more then their cheap price will help.

Thanks for the long answer. I hope I'll get some backup from my teammates too! I think I'll hold the Titan in reserve for one round and flank march him a little. My team mates and I could use the the first round for killing TK weapons. I think I'll use Assault Marines with Jumppacks, Flamers and a Powerfist to pop tanks and block close combat units.

Thanks for the long answer. I hope I'll get some backup from my teammates too! I think I'll hold the Titan in reserve for one round and flank march him a little. My team mates and I could use the the first round for killing TK weapons. I think I'll use Assault Marines with Jumppacks, Flamers and a Powerfist to pop tanks and block close combat units.

As far as Flank Marching and Reserves, I'd say it would depend on what the other player's Titan Killer weapons are.

If they're packing alot of long range weapons that can hit you from turn one, then it might be safer to deploy in reserves.

If instead they're using deep striking/drop pod squads, I'd deploy it normally and start firing from the get go. Using your screening troops should hold back those squads for awhile.

And if their entire army is put into reserve, definately put your Titan in reserve too.

And remember, you can always move and shoot, so don't be afraid of getting some distance if need be.

Inqusitor with mystics (or multiple of said unit) every unit that deepstrikes within 4d6 (of each Inq) can be shot at before the game continues, with 2 mystics you can choose a unit near your Inq to do the shooting... yes I am talking about making the titan do it XD. Also if your allowed to take strategems... renforments is good because once your reaver is destroyed you can bring it back on the board (as soon as the next turn if your lucky!). Nothing can crush peoples hearts like finally destroying your UBER unit to see it come straight back... We did this with an Emperor class Titan with 6 Vortex missiles Ahahaha (so it fired 12 of them in the whole game if you include when it came back XD)

Another thing you can do is to surround it with a huge meat shield such as guard conscripts, basically to try and block charges from things coming close either running across the board or flank marching and so on but also to make people teleport further away/increase the chance4 of teleport mishaps ^_^ (remember to spread your meat shield about if you do it :D)

Inqusitor with mystics (or multiple of said unit) every unit that deepstrikes within 4d6 (of each Inq) can be shot at before the game continues, with 2 mystics you can choose a unit near your Inq to do the shooting... yes I am talking about making the titan do it XD. Also if your allowed to take strategems... renforments is good because once your reaver is destroyed you can bring it back on the board (as soon as the next turn if your lucky!). Nothing can crush peoples hearts like finally destroying your UBER unit to see it come straight back... We did this with an Emperor class Titan with 6 Vortex missiles Ahahaha (so it fired 12 of them in the whole game if you include when it came back XD)

Another thing you can do is to surround it with a huge meat shield such as guard conscripts, basically to try and block charges from things coming close either running across the board or flank marching and so on but also to make people teleport further away/increase the chance4 of teleport mishaps ;) (remember to spread your meat shield about if you do it :D)

Id suggest taking the Disruptor beacon to keep DSing enemy units off him, and perhaps the tunnels asset *mostly to deny part of its effects to your enemy*.

Thanks a lot you two. Now I'll take a DH Inquisitor (Hector Rex) with two Mystiscs, a Landspeeder Storm or a disruptor beacon for screening and a linebreaker formation (or devs with a PlasmaC/ Hbolter) combi. I would usually take the Devs but the more amour, the more av fire will be split (I hope). And the line breaks can break something too.

Well if you have the models you may want to consider switching to guard, and just surounding it with men, you will be able to get enouph bodies that enemies will have to charge through them (thus road block), and that deapstrikeing close enouph to melta will risk running into them. Otherwise you seem to have come to a pretty good stratatgy LSS and inquisitor.

Well if you have the models you may want to consider switching to guard, and just surounding it with men, you will be able to get enouph bodies that enemies will have to charge through them (thus road block), and that deapstrikeing close enouph to melta will risk running into them. Otherwise you seem to have come to a pretty good stratatgy LSS and inquisitor.

Yeah I wanted to use guard units, but they're still in they boxes waiting to be assembled. I haven't had as much time as I wanted to and now I have to take marines over guard. I wiiishhh I had more points :D

For some general tactica advice:

Keep your titan moving. Reavers are surprisingly fast, and simple movement can buy you a couple extra turns to drop big templates on your foe. Trust me, extra turns of titan shooting hurts.

Don't be afraid of letting it explode. As the bad guys start whittling the titan down use your screening troops to open a channel to your opponents lines and charge like a Berzerker. Ever had a Warhound explode next to your enemy gunline? FUNNY.

Don't panic. Your opponents are going to come after you. Let them. Let your screening troops die if you have to, move the titan away from the threat and then light the poor b*****ds up next tun.

Its early so thats all I got. I'll add stuff later as I think of it.

Ok, so I try to be a moving bullseye, who annihilates everything. That sounds easy ;-). But it could be really easy, because the "bad" side seems to have no superheavy vehicles. But I think, the organizer will fix that.

Archived