Ironclad rules vs. model

I was looking over what upgrades to give my new Ironclad when I noticed a little confusion in the rules when compared to the model.

Now from this image here: LINK you can see that the chainfist has an underslung meltagun.

Well the rules state an ironclad is equipped with a dreadnought close combat weapon (with built in storm bolter) and a seismic hammer (with built in meltagun). Under the upgrade entry for chainfist it says "...may replace the seismic hammer with a chainfist..."

Now that - to me - says that the chainfist replaces the seismic hammer AND the meltagun, but the model clearly contradicts this. I know I might be splitting hairs here but I was just wondering on everyone's take on this?

Thats rather weird.

Id agree with you... since and inbuilt weapon is destroyed with the weapon, and upgrading a DCCW to a ML also take the stormbolter.... so why should this be different?

We had discussions about whether he would keep the meltagun if he replaced the seismic hammer with the chainfist, and I was one of those claiming that since the meltagun is built into the seismic hammer, it is lost as well when the hammer is replaced.

Now the official Ironclad model is out. And while there have been GW models with wrong armament in the past (Chaos Lord with Combi-Bolter-Melta, Cassius with Combi-Flamer), I expect that GW would now clarify in an FaQ that the meltagun is supposed to stay.

i would say only the hammer gets replaced, the melta gun stays...totally different then the regular dread that looses the storm bolter when getting the ML or AC.

one of those "it feels right to see it that way" interpretations...

besides, who would really want to get the chain fist? i think the hammer is a better deal against everything except maybe a land raider and another ironclad.

As the entry indicates that the DCCW and storm bolter are replaced by the hurricane bolter, BUT the melta-gun is omitted from the exchange for the seizmic hammer - then the melta-gun is retained.

The model fits the rules as I read it.

The Chainfist will be very popular in Planetstrike - all those AV14 bastions are not going to break themselves :P

Which reminds me, would the chainfist on a dreadnought strike last? I don't play marines, I was curious if there was any specific wording about that?

The Chainfist will be very popular in Planetstrike - all those AV14 bastions are not going to break themselves :tu:

Which reminds me, would the chainfist on a dreadnought strike last? I don't play marines, I was curious if there was any specific wording about that?

see this recent thread: http://www.bolterandchainsword.com/index.p...howtopic=173402

Archived