Ironclad Dreadnought Val'nir

First of all I will say that the last time I posted this some of the users comments were downright insulting. As such I am warning you now that if any more insulting comments are posted in this thread I will be reporting those responsible.

Now, on the the thread:

I ordered the new Ironclad kit weeks ago, hoping to get it on release day, but alas that was not to be. Well, it finally turned up on Monday so I spent most of the night snipping, removing mold lines, cutting, converting and gluing, and this is the result so far.

Now there are a few things to remember before looking at the image - the seismic hammer his not finished, nor are the legs. He is actually blu-tacced to the feet, as I have not had time to repose them yet. The dreadnought missile launcher arm he is standing on is a stand in - I intend to have him stood on a smashed up piece of Ork Trukk but I couldn't aford both models - the base will be done in time. Also, note that the dreadnought close combat weapon will be a large breaching drill similar to a big daddy from the video game Bioshock - there's just something cool about the idea of him drilling a hole in a bunker wall and then unleashing those two heavy flamers on the enemy. ;)

Lots still to do on him - got to truly "Salamander-ize" him yet - but that will require green stuff and I didn't have time to get that far yet.

Well, let me know what you think:

EDIT: UPDATED PHOTOS FURTHER DOWN THE THREAD

Holding the hammer is charming. Not much to crit, i wouldn't mind if the foot stood a little better on the truck when you get to it, maybe crushing in the plate a little rather than just resting...for this i recommend scratch-building the piece. actually, i recommend scratch-building all ork trucks and even most weapons, there's nothing like a kustom job that costs you little more than plasticard, old spruing, and wire (wrap standard wire tightly around a thin brush and then slide off for perfect power cables and suspension springs every time ;)).

i think it looks very nice, i still can't believe some of the comments in that old thread.... this looks very cool, much better than the old silly arm based seismic hammer that is stock with the ironclad, how do you plan to make the other fist? (seeing as you chopped the fingers to hold the hammer)

• 2 weeks later...

New pictures - he's almost ready for painting now:

http://i202.photobucket.com/albums/aa117/turelhimvampire/Salamanders/Picture688.jpg

http://i202.photobucket.com/albums/aa117/turelhimvampire/Salamanders/Picture687.jpg

http://i202.photobucket.com/albums/aa117/turelhimvampire/Salamanders/Picture686.jpg

http://i202.photobucket.com/albums/aa117/turelhimvampire/Salamanders/Picture685.jpg

http://i202.photobucket.com/albums/aa117/turelhimvampire/Salamanders/Picture683.jpg

My only slight concern is the two heavy flamers on the drill, admittedly it looks cool but I can see someone saying they destroy that arm and you lose both flamers. But anyone who does that is just bring a little :) who would probably just rather buy one off the shelf (and this is coming from a guy who loves the Ironclad model) when it must be more satisfying to create your own. I like the use of bits for the hammer.

I wanted to tell you i am sorry if my comments on your tread were taking as insulting. I was trying to be funny that night and was really drunk (the two don't go togther) i thought I had edited my post but could not find it later that night. Anyway if you felt insulted I am sorry and never ment it to be taken that way. If my comments lead to others that night posting mroe stuff then I will own up to that as well.

Anyway I am glad you reposted...

I sent this as a message but after thinking about it it really belongs posted here. I know if I had put that much work into something and gotten such a filpent remark I would be upset as well. So the least I can do is make sure I call myself out in public for being an Ass =)

Now to the model...

LOVE the drill great idea. I had tried the same thing but never made anything that looked good enough to keep. I'm still not crazy about the hammers head but then its not my model. The use of the auto cannon bit for a shaft was a good call though. The over all pose is GREAT and love the work you did to repose the feet. My only other comment would be that the large space under the "chest" that you plaed the head on is a bit to open. Maybe some wire in there as I ahve seen on uthers to look like cables?

Other then that I think it looks great and can't wait to see it painted.

Cool Conversion.

I like the drill idea, thats very unique and well executed.

The Hammer is a nice idea too but to be honest i dont like it. In fact i did not yet see one seismic hammer that really convinces me.

Especially not the GW version (thats really crap).

Keep up the good work.

cya

That's a pretty cool dreadnought. I like the drill arm, the pose, and especially the head area. I'm not a fan of the GW ironclad but yours is certainly very cool!

Don't forget your smoke launcher and search light. :P

I love it soo far. One suggestion I have (and its purley a 'if it were my model" kinda thing) is to reposition the drill arm up a bit more, and sideways as if hes shooting his heavy flamers from his hip. With this being said, I'd also add some GS fire on the end of those heavy flamers.

But if your going for a really had blow hammer pose I like it too.

I had actually forgotten the searchlight and smoke launchers, I'll add those when I get back from the signing of Salamander at Warhammer World tonight - cannot wait meet Nick and get a copy of the book :cuss

I may add a few details to make it truly Salamander-esque as well - I suppose I could add a Salamander hide draped over the shoulder of the drill arm, what do you think?

The head looks a little small imo but i love that drill!!, The hammer shaft still looks like an autocannon barrel. you could maybe shave down the sides and cut off the ammo clip then add small plasticard pieces ?

Archived