Melta Cannon + Primary Weapon

minigun762

I'm a bit confused on how you'd handle the rerolls (for being a primary weapon) on the Melta Cannon?

If you hit 3 armor targets, can you reroll each separately?

Or does all the rerolls have to happen together?

I assume the reroll would still benefit from the Melta Cannon's bonus right?

Or does the benefits stack and you roll 4d6 and 3d6 respectively?

Re-roll? Do you mean rolling 2D6 and pick the highest for being an ordnance?

My assumtion would be that you roll 2d6 (or 3d6) twice, and choose the highest result.

That's what you are talking about right?

Primary weapons count as ordnance weapons. The melta cannon's rules in the unit entry supersede the two dice pick the highest part of the ordnance rules and you follow the melta cannon's rules instead. There are no re-rolls automatically given just for being a primary weapon.

I do not recall primary weapons being ordnance aswell but I could be wrong.

I do know that assualts from gargantuan? units roll 2d6 for armour pen and count as hits from ordnance so I would take that as roll 4d6 and pick the 2 highest.

Is that what you are reffering to?

Primary weapons count as ordnance weapons. The melta cannon's rules in the unit entry supersede the two dice pick the highest part of the ordnance rules and you follow the melta cannon's rules instead. There are no re-rolls automatically given just for being a primary weapon.

Yep, it talks about counting as ordnance right above Primary weapons getting that roll to avoid damage.

Is there any reason the Melta Cannon's rules supersede the normal rules vs being used along side them?

The way I read it is that the Melta Cannon is a Primary weapon (ordnance) as well as having a modified armor penetration. The two don't seem exclusive.

Ok, it took me some time to realize that you are not refering to the Imperial Guard Melta Cannon the Devildog is armed with and got the opportunity to take a look into the Apocalypse rulebook.

"Ordnance" and "Melta" rules can be combined. Ordnance rules state that you roll specifically "two dice instead of one and pick the highest result", while melta weapons can roll an extra D6 for their armour penetration.

So you would not roll 4D6 and pick the two highest results, you would roll 2D6 and pick the highest, and then add the extra D6 on top of that.

Normal AP added to Strength: D6

Ordnance: highest of 2D6

Melta: + extra D6

Ordnance Melta: hightest of 2D6 + extra D6

Isn't the actual wording of the melta rule say roll 2d6, instead of add extra.

Rolling 2d6 would be simultaneous for armour penetration, and ordnance says roll 2 dice and pick the highest.

If I get 2 dice for armour penetration why can't I roll them twice with the ordnance rule? Seems logical.

If the rule for melta is roll extra then I'm wrong, but o well at least I tried.

The melta rules given on page 32 of the rulebook do say "extra D6". And not only that, the Ordnance rules on page 60 specifically say that ordnance weapons "roll two dice instead of one", and not simply rolling twice for armour penetration. So with an ordnance melta you roll two dice and pick teh highest, for the basic ordnance AP, and then you add the bonus D6 because of the melta rule.

Analogue to this, a "rending" Ordnance hit would roll 2D6 and pick the highest, and if that highest is a 6 you can add an extra D3. But you would not roll 2D3 and select the highest of those.

That is good to know, could have had some serious issues at a later date.

What about the example I had early of gargantuan (sp?) creature assualting? That is also treated as ordnance, and don't you get 2d6 for armour penetration aswell.

Or am I just halucinating things in the APOC rule book :lol:

On a side note is there a such thing as a rending ordnance weapon?

ordnance weapons "roll two dice instead of one", and not simply rolling twice for armour penetration. So with an ordnance melta you roll two dice and pick teh highest, for the basic ordnance AP, and then you add the bonus D6 because of the melta rule.

So you're basically rolling 3d6 + S for armor penetration?

Yes, since only the basic (first) AP dice benefits from the ordnance rules. You roll two dice instead of the usual one and pick the highest. The melta D6 is added to that result, and will not be re-rolled. You would not roll 3D6 and dismiss the lowest, you take the highest of 2D6 plus another D6.

Example: The first 2D6 roll 4 and 5, the extra D6 rolls a 1. If you simply rolled 3D6 and dismiss the lowest, the result would now be 9 (you took the 4 and the 5 and dismissed the 1). But because the ordnance rules are only for the initial two dice, it is the 4 that is dismissed (the lower of the 2D6), so the result is 6.

Archived