Lesser Daemon Summoning

jlmb_123

Hello. I've had a search, as best I can, and haven't found what I'm looking for, so hopefully I'm not just repeating a question which has already been answered.

In regards to summoning Lesser Daemons to the table, I've a bit of a query. Reading the CSM book and Rulebook, I've come to the conclusion that you must begin to roll for Reserves from turn two (the likelihood of a unit becoming available increasing each turn thereafter), and that should you succesfully pass this roll, you must deploy the unit as per the reserves/deep strike/in-this-case Daemonic Summoning rules. Is this interpretation correct?

Further to this, a couple of problems are thrown up in my mind. Firstly, what if you 'succesfully' bring on the unit, but no Daemonic Icon is present (i.e. Icon bearing units are still in reserve). Do you lose the Daemons? Secondly, what if you don't want to bring them on. A few WD tactics articles suggest summoning units of Daemons close to the enemy to enhance your assaukt abilities. If a roll on turn two is 'succesful', have you not just got a unit that's stuck on the wrong side of the table with no chance of getting into a transport (unless one has a Land Raider) and with no shooting ability. Is the simpe answer to this to take transports for every Icon bearing unit and get them as far across the table as possible by the end of the first turn, thus allowing the Daemons to be placed closer to the enemy?

Am I missing something rules-wise, or am I just a little over-optimistic as to the predictability and usefulness of Daemons?

If there are no icons, I believe hte unit is destroyed.

And, yes, you have to start rolling on turn 2. I see a lot of players discussing deep strike/reserve strategy and talking about bringing the units on when they want to, but that'st not how it works.

Reading the CSM book and Rulebook, I've come to the conclusion that you must begin to roll for Reserves from turn two (the likelihood of a unit becoming available increasing each turn thereafter), and that should you succesfully pass this roll, you must deploy the unit as per the reserves/deep strike/in-this-case Daemonic Summoning rules. Is this interpretation correct?

Hm...

"Note: You must roll for reserves as soon as possible and must bring them onto the table as soon as tehy are available. You may not delay making the dice rolls or keep the reserves hanging around off-table untill you decide you need them!"

Rulebook, page 94.

Yes, it looks like your interpretation is correct.

what if you 'succesfully' bring on the unit, but no Daemonic Icon is present (i.e. Icon bearing units are still in reserve). Do you lose the Daemons?

"If there are no Icoons of Chaos on the table at the time the summoned unit becomes available, the unit cannot enter the battle and is destroyed (Icons belonging to other units that have arrived from Reserve in the same turn cannot be used)."

Codex Chaos Space Marines, page 61.

what if you don't want to bring them on. A few WD tactics articles suggest summoning units of Daemons close to the enemy to enhance your assaukt abilities. If a roll on turn two is 'succesful', have you not just got a unit that's stuck on the wrong side of the table with no chance of getting into a transport (unless one has a Land Raider) and with no shooting ability. Is the simpe answer to this to take transports for every Icon bearing unit and get them as far across the table as possible by the end of the first turn, thus allowing the Daemons to be placed closer to the enemy?

You only need one Icon close to the enemy, but a bit of redundancy obviously helps so that the enemy does not manage to kill off all the Icons close to him.

Archived