shrike without wings :(

i have made a diy shrike and having both 4th and 5th codexs handy i took a look, shrike no longer gets a wing but does get a command squad... one which doesnt get jump packs.

are people putting command squads away and giving him vanguards or assault marines to accompan him instead or are people using house rules with jump packs on his command squad as you would think he would like his command to have the same sort of mobility.

what do you think?

i hope this is the right place, can it be moved if i made a mistake.

I assume you are aware that a Command Squad does not count as a "retinue" and is simply an additional unit you get access to if your army includes a Captain. Thus, the only real difference between a Command Squad and a Vanguard squad is that the Command Squad can have an Apothecary and a Banner (and Bikes). The Command Squad has a few additional Options, but it is limited to 5 men, which in my view makes it a not so attractive unit choice except for a few very specific tasks like providing a morale re-roll or dropping/rhino-rushing a plasma squad.

You can simply put Shrike in a Vanguard squad. While that squad would not have an Apothecary or a Banner, it could in turn be larger than 5 members. The squad will not protect Shrike as a "retinue" would, but neither would a Command Squad.

I think the closest thing you can get is a bike command squad. Your bikes will not ignore terrain but at least they will remain as a squad (due to the fact that Shrike will be within 2" at the start and the end of the movement phase without having to reduce his maximum speed).

I cant believe I have only just thought of this. 12" move, rapid firing bolters, 6" charge, 4 attacks on the charge with T5 and FNP. Ouch thats going to mess someones day up.

Though you are correct most people seem to be either outflanking Assault Terminators or infiltrating Assault Marines/Vanguard.

I cant believe I have only just thought of this. 12" move, rapid firing bolters, 6" charge, 4 attacks on the charge with T5 and FNP. Ouch thats going to mess someones day up.

Combined with infiltrate and fleet, means first turn charges... almost sounds like a tactic id be using...

Gimme that shrike ;)

Gc08

Infiltrators that are placed within LOS have to be more than 18" away from enemy units. So even with a 12" move and a 6" charge it would not legally be possible to assault during the first turn. Even if you placed the bikes as close to an enemy model as possible, the rules require that it is more than what they could cover in one turn with a standard move and assault.

In order to manage a first turn assault the bikes would have to be placed out of LOS so that they can be placed between under 18" and more than 12".

Infantry could not even perform a first turn assault if they were able to infiltrate out of LOS, since they would have to be placed more than 12" away from enemy models. They would have to be able to fleet in order to perform a first turn assault.

Edit: Even during Scout moves a nit has to stay more than 12" away from enemy units, so that would not help an infiltrating infantry unit to get a first turn assault either.

Archived