Sternguard without Kantor?

Freakiq

As the title says I'm planning to run sternguard in a drop pod or razorback.

They'll be armed with combi-meltas and a powerfist primarily be used for taking out tanks, monstrous creatures and elite troops.

Are they worth it though without Pedro's scoring ability or should I just get more tacticals?

I use Sternguard and have never used Kantor. I find they are still worth using, but don't be too tempted to use them as a throw-away unit like many do, it rarely works out. The only thing they lose is scoring.

I'm thinking of trying a 5 men sternguard unit with two heavy flamers and razorback in a 1850 pts Vulkan list. The units comes around at 185 pts, which seems more then worth it.

Why Heavy Flamers? They're a heavy so you'd have to disembark and wait until you're next turn to fire them. Any sane opponent is going to either move exposed infantry away or assault you.

If you wanna be a jerk, take 5 Combi-Flamers. Only 5 points more total and it will actually work after you disembark.

To the OP, they can work in a way very similar to Chaos Terminators. Load them up with Combi-Melta (for armor) and either drop pod or Rhino them in. A Power Fist is mandatory I'd say, especially against MCs and Walkers.

I'd probably go with 10 guys, 4-5 Combi-Meltas and 4-5 normal ones with a Power Fist Sarge.

Heavy Flamers are an assault weapon.

Well color me stupid! :o

I thought they were Heavy all this time and it was only Terminators who could move/shoot/assault.

My apologizes good sir Giga, you are correct then. :P

I'm thinking of trying a 5 men sternguard unit with two heavy flamers and razorback in a 1850 pts Vulkan list. The units comes around at 185 pts, which seems more then worth it.

I've been using this for a good few weeks now, with Vulkan accompanying the unit. The amount of wounds that 3 twin-linked heavy flamers can put down on a unit, backed up by hellfire rounds can be frightening. And if they get charged (they will), you have Vulkan and a power fist to help out. So seriously, give it a go, it is an awesome squad.

As for using Sternguard without Pedro, yes, you can. Sternguard are a good enough unit on their own without Pedro, who just makes them more useful through making them scoring.

Archived