Whirlwind

I come before you, Judges, to help me with my case.

I have lately purchased a Whirlwind, the idea being to kill of the nefarious Eldar hiding out of sight, as well as using it as a tool against the swarms of the greenskins and the Hive Mind. However, I have come upon a snag that may be important vs one of my enemies, who is something of a power gamer(in the negative sense).

No where does it state how the launcher is attached. Not even a word of whether it is hull-mounted(thus a limited arc of fire) or turret-mounted(thus all-round traverse). A case can be made for both, just to fan the flames even more, especially since all though the Whirlwind appears to have a small turret, the models do not make the rules(see the infamous argument on whether or not Terminators had TDA).

In the green corner, turret. The model clearly has a small turret, which indeed does traverse the full 360 degrees, indicating turret-mounted launcher. Since there is no mention of the gun being hull-mounted, combined with the turret-like mount makes this the logical assumption.

In the blue corner, hull-mounted. In all the pictures on the box, the traverse is clearly within the arc of fire for a hull-mounted weapon, and since there is no mentioning of the weapon being turret-mounted, it clearly cannot be mounted as anything but a hull-mounted, limited traverse gun.

I looked at the Dark Angels FAQ, which shed no light on the matter, neither did the Space Marines FAQ.

The guidelines on page 59 (BRB) for what arc of fire a vehicle mounted weapon uses are only for Vehicles where the weapons are assembled in a way or glued on so that it is not possible to actually move the weapon and point it toward the target unit, or at least not in a way that should be possible. If your Whirlwind missile launcher can be turned in place and actually be pointed toward the target (while being correctly assembled and not specifically converted to allow this), then you just do so and can fire at any enemy unit the launcher can be pointed at.

Yes. A basilisk cannot fire 360* and it can be fired as Indirect.

Presumably it pivots. Good point though as this would be critical should the bassie be immobilised.

But I agree with the others that the missile system has a 360° arc of fire. On the basis that the weapon is neither hull-mounted, nor a sponson or a pintle-weapon mounted on the hull. Plus although not called a 'turret' per se, it's design allows for a full radius of fire.

Archived