Black Legion Insignia

Hello everyone. I'm a long-time lurker and first time poster. Let me say I have found this site to be a wealth of information, I have spent endless hours just browsing through all the great forums.

I started playing 40k way back in the Rogue Trader era, and I've recently come back to play after way too long away from the game.

I have a question regarding Black Legion insignia, and I have been unsuccessful in finding any information using the search feature.

When I first read about the Black Legion way back when in the Realm of Chaos books, their insignia was a plain black field depicted on banners and shoulder pads. As I recall this was a reminder of their shame and humiliation brought about by Horus's failure.

Now in the newer books, they use the Eye of Horus as their insignia. This seems, imo, to be a bit contradictory - to display the symbol of the cause of their shame, as opposed to the original plain black painted over the original legion insignia.

Am I misunderstanding the whole thing with Horus? Or if not, how can the display of the Eye of Horus be explained, fluff-wise?

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Hey,

their insignia was a plain black field

This was not Abaddon's fault, but GW's. Consider the Red Corsairs' "insignia".

Talk about shame . . .

in the newer books, they use the Eye of Horus as their insignia

If it walks like expediency, and talks like expediency . . .

As I remember the fluff timeline:

* FF Legion insignia derives from centuries-long central authority (Primarchs).

* Luna Wolves became the Sons of Horus by Imperial fiat (aka game devs).

* This retcons the too-much-like-Space-Wolves insignia to the Eye.

* Horus dies, some Marines retreat and reform under Abaddon.

* Abaddon organizes renegade Marines for "Black" Crusades.

So, there is no Black "Legion" in the First Founding sense of the term.

"Legion", as used here, describes a great number of Black Crusaders.

Therefore, they would have no "Legion" insignia like the rest.

Unfortunately, GW Manufacturing and Development aren't drinking buddies.

So, Citadel still makes only one model for the Black "Legion".

And they make exactly zero models for the Sons of Horus.

Yet every box of CSM comes with Eye of Horus decals.

Playa

Yes it true that in "Slaves to Darkness" the BL banner was described as a plain black field. Some time between then and when C:csm 3.0 came out the eye of Horus appeared. I think it (having a symbol) was mostly for artistic reasons (having a black field as a symbol doesn't show up very well on black pwr armor or a black vehicle ;) ).

But fluffwize, I think it's easily justified. If I remember correctly Abby had them paint their armor black as a symbol of their shame for stopping the attack after Horus was killed, not for shame horus brought on them by dieing while killing another primarch, and really, the Emperor as well. Horus wasn't the cause of their shame, not carrying on the fight after he was killed was the cause of their shame.

And although it differs from some of the fluff written, I see them painting their armor black as grief and mourning over losing their primarch (much as firemen and police wear black armbands after one of their own falls) rather then "out of shame".

Horus was their primarch, who Led the Legion to more victories then any other Primarch/Legion and died killing the (now) hated Emperor, It only makes sense that his symbol would be on their armor.

I find that the yellow eye painted on black is easiest done (if you do paint them, like the radical yellow paint job in the codex) by painting mithril silver and then the yellow. Mithril silver mixed with white also helps, but may fade and I only did it properly half the time I tried so it was a pain to do.

~note to self, dont help friends paint his 500 black legionnaires.... And he picked them for "ease" buying them in bulk without the wet-slide icons......

Wetside decals peal off after a few years anyway, even w/ clearcoat sprayed over them.

I never have that problem. Though I prefer to microwave the cups of water and thouroghly wipe off the surface they get adhered to just to ensure the damn thing sticks.

Still have a few models from 9 years ago that have decals that stick on better then the paint.... (Erosion < decal surface)

We got our symbol during the 2nd edition codex. I think the Eye is a symbol that our primarch is watching and that we are his legion. The armor being black is a measure of our shame.

Our trim has changed color a couple times to. I seem to remember silver, brass and gold all falling into and out of favor.

Archived