Need help - combat tactics rule

FF151

So, As I am continuing on the rulebook, (I am playing tonight again), can anyone please clarify the combat tactics rule?

In relation to the AOBR kit,

the tactical squad, terminators and captain have "combat tactics" which means they are allowed to voluntarily lose a moral check and fall back towards table edge 2D6". However, please clarify if I am correct

1) tactical squad of 10 lose 4 models in one shooting turn, the lose more than 25% and must do a morale check, HOWEVER because they have the "Shall no fear" rule, they automatically pass the regroup test and can move up to 6" on their movement phase.

BUT when I can I employ the "combat tactics" rule? Does the combat tactics rule trump the "shall show no fear" rule? and if so when?

Any clarification would be extremely helpful!

FF

The morale test is taken at the end of the enemies shooting phase. That is teh point where the Space Marines can decide to automatically fail the morale test.

Regrouping is done at the beginning of the own turn, and that is when ATSKNF allows Marines to automatically regroup.

Enemy Turn 2

- Enemy shoots at tactical squad

- Tactical squad loses 4 members

- At the end of the shooting phase, the tactical squad has to take a morale test

--> the squad decides to use "Combat Tactics" to automatically fail the test

Space Marine Turn 2

- Space Marines regroup automatically thanks to "And They Shall Know No Fear"

and if they fail they don't automatically run, they take an initiative test against the enemy unit which if they pass they run, and if they fail they stay in combat and take fearless armor saves in the amount of their combat loss.

ATSKNF/Combat Tactics is one of the harder rules to figure out i think.

and if they fail they don't automatically run, they take an initiative test against the enemy unit which if they pass they run, and if they fail they stay in combat and take fearless armor saves in the amount of their combat loss.

In close combat, yes, but since the thread was about taking morale tests due to shooting casualties that had not come up.

When I first saw the rule I thought eh, that's not so great. But having used it properly a fair few times now it's actually a game winner if used correctly. Several times I've been about to be charged off an objective by say a squad of beserkers, who would have slaughtered my humble tac squad in CC ordinarily. 3-4 casualties from pistols and I retreat out of charge range. Next turn, regroup into position and rapid fire them. Seriously, one game exactly that happened and I went from what should have been a slaughter for the beserkers to a massacre from the tactical marines. 9 bolter shots, 1 plasma gun and one plasma cannon (ATSKNF gives you the ability to fire HWs as if haven't moved) = 6 dead beserkers. When They charged the next turn (no pistol shots beforehand funnily enough) they ended up losing through being outnumbered - 3 dead to marines/sarges PF and the last one died to the single fearless wound he had to save. Objective held, game won, job done. If nothing else it can be a deterrant from your opponent trying to inflict further casualties upon you with pistol shots just in case you retreat out of charge range.

(ATSKNF gives you the ability to fire HWs as if haven't moved)

Naturally he is refering to the normal rallying restriction that has units that just rallied at the beginning of their turn count as moved during the shooting phase. That restriction does not apply to units with ATSKNF that just rallied, so they can fire heavy weapons during the same turn they rally, provided they do not actually move during that turn's movement phase.

Yes, Legatus - I was referring to that situation only as well. For some reason, that part of ATSKNF just didn't stick in my head. Maybe I'll have to re-evaluate my stand against this "reading" thing. :tu:

Archived