Most tactically sound Fast Attack option?

Rhellion

I'm building an army to play in a Planetstrike campaign, but I don't have enough to rebuild an army based on attack or defense. I want to have a balanced army that could be used for attack AND defense, but also needs to fill up 2500 points. What I am looking for to complete the army is another Fast Attack choice. This is what my army has, please use the info to base your recommendations on my next FA choice. I am already getting a Land Raider for the next HS choice, so it will be the Land Raider + FA choice added to the army.

Captain + Command Squad in Razorback

Chaplain

Tactical Squad (10) in Rhino

Dreadnought

Dreadnought

Terminator Squad (10)

Assault Squad (10) with jump packs

Whirlwind

Vindicator

Devastator Squad (5) either to use in defense games or split their weapons into Tactical Squads in attacking games.

Adding Land Raider

Adding Fast Attack choice to be determined...

For planetstrike where the defender gets a chance to wack you on the way in, I'd just add more assault marines as fast attack. Speeders could be added, but would be just a distraction for the defender. Vanguard are a interesting option since you could jump right into the defenses and start assaulting stuff.

I agree with ShinyRhino, a trio of multi-melta attack bikes would be a good choice. They are survivable (except from a firestorm etc), and can take you infantry, tanks, bastions whatever.

As the attacker bring them on from your drop zone (or heavy duty drop them hehe) and take out the nearest bastion. Or as the defender put them in reserve and use them to counter attack, focusing on the attacker's armour value targets. They have the speed to get to wherever you want them no matter where they turn up from.

My vote is for a 2nd Assault Squad. Swap the jetpacks on this one for a free dedicated transport. Razorback? They'd go well in the LR, or with a combat squad in the Razorback, or both. They'll also work well on Defense using to the Escape Hatch Stratagem, so that they can pop out of a bastion up to 18" away and assault with no scatter. Done that way, the Razorback is a complete freebie (plus the upgrades of course).

A trio of Attack Bikes are dirt cheap and brutally effective at whatever role you kit them for (anti-tank or anti-infantry).

I third this choice.

Attack Bikes are one of the best Fast choices in the whole game I'd say.

You have a mobile dakka factory that can hide in cover (Heavy Bolters) or a mobile Land Raider killer that has a far bigger killing range then Termicide or Drop Pod Melta troops (Multi-Melta).

A trio of Attack Bikes are dirt cheap and brutally effective at whatever role you kit them for (anti-tank or anti-infantry).

I third this choice.

Attack Bikes are one of the best Fast choices in the whole game I'd say.

You have a mobile dakka factory that can hide in cover (Heavy Bolters) or a mobile Land Raider killer that has a far bigger killing range then Termicide or Drop Pod Melta troops (Multi-Melta).

I fourth this choice- attack bikes are good, and with a 12" move and 12" melta, you should be able to just walk them in from the table edge and not worry about interceptor weapons as they destroy your opponents bastions.

personnelly I'd make a unit of van guard vets give them jump packs then give them all lightning claws (pair) or thunder hammers depending on what role you want them to fulfill

gotta love getting 15 thunder hammer attacks or 30 lightning claw attacks on the charge

personnelly I'd make a unit of van guard vets give them jump packs then give them all lightning claws (pair) or thunder hammers depending on what role you want them to fulfill

gotta love getting 15 thunder hammer attacks or 30 lightning claw attacks on the charge

Why stop there? why not equip a 10 man unit with thunder hammers (30 attacks on the charge!) or Lightning Claws (60!) or even mix weapons, and stick them in the second Land Raider to pummel anything and everything that the Land Raider gets close to? Dropping the jump packs to fit in the LR makes the unit's price a little more palatable, and they and the Land Raider coming in from reserve could really wreak havoc against attackers if you're defending. Imagine suddenly there are 2 TL Lascannons and half a dozen thunder hammers wailing on the rear armor of the attackers' heavy hitters around turn 3! On the attack you've got a straightforward AV14 beast loaded with well-armed MEQs to deliver to an objective and make it yours. If I understand Planetstrike correctly, their not being Troops doesn't matter when you're attacking, and you're not using them for objective duty when defending. Of course, the attack bikes may end up being more cost-effective in the long run, (you would have to sacrifice something from your current list to fit in a full sized and well armed Vanguard unit) but again few things can ruin an attacker's plan like a land raider full of angry marines from an unexpected direction can.

Why stop there? why not equip a 10 man unit with thunder hammers (30 attacks on the charge!) or Lightning Claws (60!) or even mix weapons, and stick them in the second Land Raider to pummel anything and everything that the Land Raider gets close to? Dropping the jump packs to fit in the LR makes the unit's price a little more palatable, and they and the Land Raider coming in from reserve could really wreak havoc against attackers if you're defending. Imagine suddenly there are 2 TL Lascannons and half a dozen thunder hammers wailing on the rear armor of the attackers' heavy hitters around turn 3! On the attack you've got a straightforward AV14 beast loaded with well-armed MEQs to deliver to an objective and make it yours. If I understand Planetstrike correctly, their not being Troops doesn't matter when you're attacking, and you're not using them for objective duty when defending. Of course, the attack bikes may end up being more cost-effective in the long run, (you would have to sacrifice something from your current list to fit in a full sized and well armed Vanguard unit) but again few things can ruin an attacker's plan like a land raider full of angry marines from an unexpected direction can.

the only reason I left out the fully tanked out unit is cause of points as they would cost around the 500 point mark (without landraider this is only squad and equipment upgrades)

but yeah it is awesome I use something like it every now and then (9 assault termi's 8 L.claws and 1 thunder hammer and storm shield)

but putting all your eggs in one basket can be risky it just depends if they're starting on the board or coming via reserves because firestorm will tear em apart

the only reason I left out the fully tanked out unit is cause of points as they would cost around the 500 point mark (without landraider this is only squad and equipment upgrades)

but yeah it is awesome I use something like it every now and then (9 assault termi's 8 L.claws and 1 thunder hammer and storm shield)

but putting all your eggs in one basket can be risky it just depends if they're starting on the board or coming via reserves because firestorm will tear em apart

Remember, he's already going to spring for the Land Raider anyway. I figured he might as well put something suitably nasty in it. They should never suffer firestorm attacks, since they and the land raider should be in reserve when defending. (learned this the hard way in my first planetstrike, where the firestorm immibilized a land raider that literally blocked 90% of my army from engaging 90% of the attacking army) Still, I recognize that it's a steep price tag and the bikes are probably better bang for the buck.

I'm going for the Land Raider, 3 attack bikes, and also springing for a Land Raider Crusader and an Assault Terminator Squad. They will be expanded to a 10 man squad if I can get my hands on another set of AoBR Terminators to convert.

For Planetstrike, I prefer HF/MM Speeders over MM ABs, simply because of the sheer amount of terrain/craters/buildings/etc. Being able to hop over something and blast away with the MM is key. That and it's REALLY fun to flame Eldar/Guard units out of Bastions so you can take them without having to blow it up. <_<

Remember, he's already going to spring for the Land Raider anyway. I figured he might as well put something suitably nasty in it. They should never suffer firestorm attacks, since they and the land raider should be in reserve when defending. (learned this the hard way in my first planetstrike, where the firestorm immibilized a land raider that literally blocked 90% of my army from engaging 90% of the attacking army) Still, I recognize that it's a steep price tag and the bikes are probably better bang for the buck.

Yeah I agree in that case but I was talking about jump packs so that way with out the L.R they can move around freely (still pop in via reserves) it also grants a lot more manouverability as they can also move up and over things while costing less points and freeing up some points for other things

oh and I know what you mean about blocking your own troops i accidentaly blocked a crucial round of shooting with my vinidcator in a plantefall game when I was attacking which stopped me from moving out so I could see the last bastion (mountain in the way) which lost me the game

Archived