4th Company

Rhellion

I just finished my first 1000 points.

Unsure how or when I'll add unit markings or transfers. I haven't done them before and I'm afraid of ruining the models I just finished painting.

Also, how does the basing look? I was plan on painting it darker and adding static grass, but now I kind of like the desert look.

http://i28.tinypic.com/21c5nd2.jpg

For the decals, 'Ardcoat or similiar AND Micro Sol/Set combo are your friend. Coat the are you want to add the transfer to with it. Let it dry completely. Then lightly glaze on the Micro Set (whichever smells like vinegar), then apply the decal after the soaking. Lightly brush on another glaze of the vinegar one. let it sit for about 5 mins. Afterwards, Brush on some of the non vinegar Micro sol or set. Let it sit for 1 minute. Now here comes the crucial part. With piece of a paper towel wrapped around your finger, moisten it slightly with the non vinegar set. Then LIGHTLY roll your finger over the decal to smooth it in place. Once it is dry completely, about 20 minutes or so, then coat over the decal and surrounding area with 'Ardcoat. Once dry, hit it with some Dullcoat and it will look as though you painted it on freehand.

The desert look is fine, but may I suggest adding watered down brown ink. About 2:1. wash over the sand to get it into the crevices. Then after it dries completely LIGHTLY drybrush it with bone white. What this does is put the sand particles back to "25mm" scale. Right now it just looks like sand clumps. Alot of them. But the washing and subsequent drybrushing will help break it up a little. I had the same issue...

Archived