Master of the Forge with conversion beamer

Gurth

Does the Master of the Forge have a servo arm if he is given a conversion beamer? His description on page 70 of Codex: Space Marines says he has a servo arm and a servo-harness, while on page 133 his stats only list a harness, not an arm, and the FAQ also doesn't address this. As I intend to model a Master with a conversion beamer, for which he has to abandon the servo-harness, it is kind of important to know if he retains the servo-arm or not.

A Servo-harness is basically just a selection of gear, including two Servo-arms. Page 70/71 just explain how different items work, it is not a list of gear the models have. The Master of the Forge entry on page 133 only mentions the harness, since that includes the arms. The Techmarine enty on page 138 liste the arm and the harness, but only because the Techmarine only comes with the arm per default. But you will notice that the harness is not "added", but instead the arm is upgraded to a harness.

But you will notice that the harness is not "added", but instead the arm is upgraded to a harness.

Yeah, I noticed that — my confusion was mainly because the unit/model descriptions include a partial list of the model's equipment, and in this case it included something not shown in the complete list in the back of the book.

The good thing, then, is that I can convert a plastic model instead of the Techmarine I had intended to use. That gives me a lot more flexibility.

Edit: I was wrong about the servo arms. A Master of the Forge replaces his Servo-harness with the Conversion Beamer. Thanks to Brother_Dan'l.

my confusion was mainly because the unit/model descriptions include a partial list of the model's equipment

The unit description only explains items that have special rules, and they will explain those items even if the model/unit will not be automatically equipped with them. E.G. the Drop Pods description (p. 69) lists the Deathwind Launcher, since it is a Drop Pod specific weapon he can be upgraded with. He does not automatically come with it though. The Dreadnought page lists the Ironclad Assault Launchers, even though no Dreadnought comes equipped with them and only teh Ironclad can be upgraded with them.

The unit description pages explain the unique gear the units might have.

The Master of the Forge lists Servo-arms and Servo-harness as special equipment, because the Servo-harness comes with Servo-arms and thus you need to know the Servo-arm rules as well to know how all the components of a Servo-harness work.

C'mon guys have you even fully read the Codex entry on the MotF? It specifically states that he replaces the Servo-Harness (his standard equipment) with the C-beamer. He never had the single Servo Arm of a Techmarine to begin with so there is no way to claim he keeps one. He had the Servo Harness with it two Servo Arms, flamer and plasma cutter removed the moment he chose the Conversion Beamer.

Interesting.

OK The MoTF only gets the servo-harness as basic kit, which he then has to give up for the beamer. There is no mention of a servo-arm as basic kit to resort back to should the harness go. Compare the techies entry where a servo-arm is a basic item of kit.

That does contradict his entry on p70, where his wargear is listed as including a 'Servo-arm, Servo-harness'. But we already know from the techies wargear description p71 that a servo-harness is used in addition to a servo-arm as an upgrade, not instead of it. Logically then surely, the MoTF replaces his harness with the beamer, but retains his inherent (but not-mentioned in his wargaer list) servo-arm. Meaning that the OPs question should be anwered "yes" he does have one servo-arm when he has the beamer.

I think GW goofed a bit here. MoTF should have had a servo-arm listed as basic kit, with the option for the harness as an upgrade, rather than giving him the harness from the outset. That way the upgrade/swap route would have been easier to follow :confused:.

A Servo-harness is basically just a selection of gear, including two Servo-arms.

Actually a servo-harness gives the techie "an extra servo-arm". That is one in addition to his basic servo-arm – it does not in itself have two servo-arms.

That does contradict his entry on p70, where his wargear is listed as including a 'Servo-arm, Servo-harness'. But we already know from the techies wargear description p71 that a servo-harness is used in addition to a servo-arm as an upgrade, not instead of it.

The unit description does not list the gear they come equipped with. It describes the specific and unique wargear that these models might have. The Servo-harness is described on page 71 as an upgrade to the Servo-arm, in the sense that where a Servo-arm has certain functions and grants a special attack, the Servo-harness has two of these arms.

Logically then surely, the MoTF replaces his harness with the beamer, but retains his inherent (but not-mentioned in his wargaer list) servo-arm. Meaning that the OPs question should be anwered "yes" he does have one servo-arm when he has the beamer.

I would say the Servo-harness includes the basic Servo-arm and one extra Servo-arm. If the Servo-harness is removed, all of the included items are removed as well. If a Lasercannon can be upgraded to a twin-linked Lasercannon, and a different option allows you to replace the twin-linked Lasercannon, the whole weapon would be lost, not just the added second cannon, would it?

You don't replace the "upgrade", you replace the "upgraded item".

I think GW goofed a bit here. MoTF should have had a servo-arm listed as basic kit

If GW had done that, then it would indeed seem as if the arm and the harness were different items and only the harness would be lost. As it is, he has the harness, the harness includes two arms (the basic and the extra one). if the harness is removed, he has no servo-arms left.

Archived