My next great project

So i have been mulling around the site, and the internet, for the past few months looking for inspiration to make a prop 40k weapon, after failing (miserably) to try and make a real scale Bolter, i went about starting a little smaller, so i finally decided to make a Bolt Pistol instead

Firstly i have to state, i plan to make it LIGHTWEIGHT and thus easier to carry and transport, so i am going to use foam board (the prototype MIGHT be made from Card Board, as i get a bunch of it from work, but then its on to the foam board) for those of you asking, "Why foamboard?!" i offer the following answers, ahem:

1) its not as easily compressed as other materials (seeing as it kind of already is compressed)

2) its cheaper than conventional building materials, do you have ANY idea how expensive making a solid plastic bolt pistol would be?!

3) its easily sanded/shaped into other more organic (ie. handle) shapes

and so i give you the first stage... well kinda...

a roughly drawn out template that will either be the first piece of the prototype, or a template in order to make a FB prototype:

http://i44.photobucket.com/albums/f12/Comm_Nagrom/Prop%2040k%20Guns/DSCN0696.jpg

I know you can't REALLY see the template right now but give me a break, i'll cut it out later and upload a better picture, hopefully

and for those of you who want (i'm sure there's someone out there as geeky as me) i made a few templates (very rough might i add) to make your own:

http://i44.photobucket.com/albums/f12/Comm_Nagrom/Prop%2040k%20Guns/labeledBolt_Pistol.jpg

note: the square in the corner should be a 1.5" by 2" square, so scale it up until it is, then print out each of the templates

also take note of the letters and the x# the letter corrisponds to each specific template, the number is the number of (3/16") Foam Board you will need to layer to get it to about the right thickness for a normal marine Bolt Pistol, if you would like i can make a quick little diagram of how the layers should fit together but it is basically like this:

Bolt Pistol: D->D->C->C->B->B->A->A<-A<-B<-B<-C<-C<-D<-D

Ammo Clip: _ _ _ _ II->II->I->I->x<-I<-I<-II<-II

(note: the x is simply the center line, not a piece)

This template will prove invaluable, but I caution against foamboard (if I understand you right) merely because of it's finish not coming off realistic... Try this place I just found from a discussion here.. Sheet plastic... VERY cheap..

http://www.usplastic.com/catalog/category....p;cookie_test=1

Let me know whatever you need, as I am in the midst of a power armor schematic project (still a long ways to go before I debut it) and the weaponry is something i've not gotten into yet. Carboard will be fine for you to get a mockup of, or make 'templates' to draw and cut the pieces you need from plastic or foamboard, but I highly encourage a plastic final version, just for looks.

Once you get the dimensions done, let me know.. I may have enough leather and such laying about to make a holster for it. I've done a few :confused:

EDIT: Also, my only suggestion is to separate out the rivets/circles, so you can do multiples/thicker ones to make them stick out from the tamplte and give greater definition to the body.

This template will prove invaluable, but I caution against foamboard (if I understand you right) merely because of it's finish not coming off realistic... Try this place I just found from a discussion here.. Sheet plastic... VERY cheap..

http://www.usplastic.com/catalog/category....p;cookie_test=1

oh i should probably note that it won't be just foam board, as it will be purely for show (bringing it to GD with me next year heh :confused: ) i was planning on coating it in a smoother material to get off the feel of metal (i figure, metal is smooth, so other than the weight, as long as the Bolt Pistol is smooth it should work out fine), but i bet if i tell you what i had planned to use you'll laugh at me haha

Let me know whatever you need, as I am in the midst of a power armor schematic project (still a long ways to go before I debut it) and the weaponry is something i've not gotten into yet. Carboard will be fine for you to get a mockup of, or make 'templates' to draw and cut the pieces you need from plastic or foamboard, but I highly encourage a plastic final version, just for looks.

Once you get the dimensions done, let me know.. I may have enough leather and such laying about to make a holster for it. I've done a few :)

Wow! thats quite an ambitious project there! i have seen it done well, but it takes time (probably the same amount as it would take a master artificer in the forges of mars ;) ) but i wish you the best of luck bud.

EDIT: Also, my only suggestion is to separate out the rivets/circles, so you can do multiples/thicker ones to make them stick out from the tamplte and give greater definition to the body.

oh yes i know that, don't worry, they are just on there so i know where to place them, otherwise i might not be able to figure it out again haha

i bet if i tell you what i had planned to use you'll laugh at me haha

TIN FOIL!!! am i right? huh huh huh??

actually yes haha, i was going to use tin foil haha good call dusktiger lol

and i know you can make them from airsoft guns but i want to make it all from the same material and i want it to be solid so its not prone to falling apart

EDIT:

ok i had the time this morning, so i cut the template out and here is what i got:

http://i44.photobucket.com/albums/f12/Comm_Nagrom/Prop%2040k%20Guns/DSCN0708.jpg

and a few pics to show scale:

http://i44.photobucket.com/albums/f12/Comm_Nagrom/Prop%2040k%20Guns/DSCN0709.jpg

http://i44.photobucket.com/albums/f12/Comm_Nagrom/Prop%2040k%20Guns/DSCN0710.jpg

http://i44.photobucket.com/albums/f12/Comm_Nagrom/Prop%2040k%20Guns/DSCN0711.jpg

i think it looks about right, but i think its just a wee bit small, any comments?

it small for the average human but with the want to do somthing like this you are anything but average :P

i thinks its a great idea, i made one from wood about 2 years ago, doesnt look great but oh well.

i love your pistol if i had the patience and money id do it myself, i congratulate your acheivment :)

Don't forget, unless you're going for power armor, bolters don't have to be astartes size... There are many marks and variants, and the astartes standard 'godwyn' (iirc) is one of the bigger.. A bolt gun woiuld still be large for a mere mortal, but not as huge as to fit for a space marine.

FRODO!??.... witha camera?????? and a big arse cardboard gun? and a frickin bionic eye!!! JESUS H CHRIST! what is this? where's my medication.......

haha just joking m8, can't wait to see how this one turns out, it's an idea i've been planing to get on with ever since i got into this hobby. Make it Naoo!!

I'll have to go dig it up, but I actually made myself the framework of a bolt pistol from scratch. Extra cardboard left over from my Thunderhawk build.

Basically, I just went with the folded-box style, making the basic shape out of a hollow box, rather than sheets stuck together vertically. I braced it on the inside as much as possible with sheet styrene (cheap plasticard, like $10 for a 20 pack at Pearl Art Supplies), and layered the same plasticard on the outside to make it not feel like cardboard. It had it's own clip made the same way, and a half-functioning locking mechanism for loading it (I say half, because I never made a way to take it out easily).

It's missing the handle and the barrel, and a lot of details, but the frame is there. I mostly guessed all the proportions and dimensions, but it's pretty well scaled.

If I can find it, I'll take pictures to show you how I did it.

FRODO!??.... witha camera?????? and a big arse cardboard gun? and a frickin bionic eye!!! JESUS H CHRIST! what is this? where's my medication.......

haha just joking m8, can't wait to see how this one turns out, it's an idea i've been planing to get on with ever since i got into this hobby. Make it Naoo!!

why am i frodo? i don't get it... i'm not short or anything

I'll have to go dig it up, but I actually made myself the framework of a bolt pistol from scratch. Extra cardboard left over from my Thunderhawk build.

Basically, I just went with the folded-box style, making the basic shape out of a hollow box, rather than sheets stuck together vertically. I braced it on the inside as much as possible with sheet styrene (cheap plasticard, like $10 for a 20 pack at Pearl Art Supplies), and layered the same plasticard on the outside to make it not feel like cardboard. It had it's own clip made the same way, and a half-functioning locking mechanism for loading it (I say half, because I never made a way to take it out easily).

It's missing the handle and the barrel, and a lot of details, but the frame is there. I mostly guessed all the proportions and dimensions, but it's pretty well scaled.

If I can find it, I'll take pictures to show you how I did it.

cool thanks, that would be really helpful, and i wish i could get over to pearl, funny enough i only get the chance during school when i have a project to do lol (i'm an archie so it happen a lot) i'll have to get over there once i have a reason to go

well its been a week now and i had to search for the topic but i got some updates for you all

i finally got around to cutting more pieces out and i put them together quick just to give you guys an ides:

First a Normal "on the ground" shot:

http://i44.photobucket.com/albums/f12/Comm_Nagrom/Prop%2040k%20Guns/DSCN0740.jpg

Next up a nice scale shot:

http://i44.photobucket.com/albums/f12/Comm_Nagrom/Prop%2040k%20Guns/DSCN0741.jpg

And of course a down the barrel look:

http://i44.photobucket.com/albums/f12/Comm_Nagrom/Prop%2040k%20Guns/DSCN0743.jpg

now i know its still a bit thin. but its a prototype! give me time to refine it!

ok first, i was a gunnersmate in the military (think armorer) so this is coming from a pure gunnery perspective.

first, it is a magazine not a clip, the only clip well known is for the m1 gerand of WWII fame. all other similar items are magazines. to clasify as a clip the item cannot fully enclose the ammunition. to classify as a magazine the item must fully encase the ammunition.

the trigger guard hole is to small, to make it look better cut out the trigger from the bolter itself, like shown in the templates, otherwise it looks to small and looks impossible to operate.

there is no ejection port shown, to follow the standard GW schemes it would be on the right side, just a cut 5-6 levels thick in your early planning would show that enough.

there is no charging handle, you need something to allow the operator to charge the weapon, otherwise it won't work, the charging handle would be on the left of the weapon in front of the magazine well, there would also be a longish slot behind a little longer then the ejection port to allow for the charging of the handle.

your front sight is too wide, and your back sight needs to be split other wise helmet-less shooting will be next to impossible.

that is all i can think, you are well on your way, and i like your gumption, i am not trying to be mean, just give you good constructive criticism.

-c

your front sight is too wide, and your back sight needs to be split other wise helmet-less shooting will be next to impossible.

actualy on the model the sight (if we can call it that way) is quite like that...

you don't aim with a bolter, when you have one, you are already able to hit without aiming!

You should look at some of this stuff http://405th.com/forums/ it's a halo armor forum and they use 3-d print ou models then assemble them I'll post when I find the name of the software. It's free to use and I remember seeing a model of an entire bolter, so you could use that or just the back end for a pistol. There are also a number of ways to make armor and weapons so you might want to look around the sight, you might find a style you like and find easier than foam.

i have yet to start adding details, this is just the basic body, i'm still in the process of adding an ejection port, and shaping the handle (which includes widening the trigger, i realize its way too big, i just cut 3 of the same piece, the outer 2 will be a bit bigger to represent the actual trigger hole while the inner will be whittled down just a bit and serve as the trigger itself), and making the "magazine", although does that mean if it were open (ie. you could see the ammo) it would be a clip?

as for a charging handle... could you elaborate on that a little bit? i don't know quite what that is, nor do i know how i would go about making one

on the issue of the sight, i know, i plan to shave 2 of the 3 layers down, and kind of taper them to a flattened point at the top, the back sight needs like a groove right? a v groove down the center?

i have yet to start adding details, this is just the basic body, i'm still in the process of adding an ejection port, and shaping the handle (which includes widening the trigger, i realize its way too big, i just cut 3 of the same piece, the outer 2 will be a bit bigger to represent the actual trigger hole while the inner will be whittled down just a bit and serve as the trigger itself), and making the "magazine", although does that mean if it were open (ie. you could see the ammo) it would be a clip?

"Magazine" is still the right term. Having a skeletonized magazine (i.e., one with holes where you can see the ammunition) has its own problems - Google the Chauchat sometime if you get bored. They look cool, though. :rolleyes:

I prefer to pretend that the bolter magazines that have visible ammunition simply use transparent plasteel windows on the sides - not unlike the Sig 550 or H&K G36.

as for a charging handle... could you elaborate on that a little bit? i don't know quite what that is, nor do i know how i would go about making one

Well, the charging handle is the bit you grab to load a cartridge into the chamber (the chamber generally being the bit at the back end of the barrel, the cartridge slides into that, and the chamber provides support and strength to direct the pressure of the exploding propellant forwards - that is, into the projectile, to drive it forward down the barrel; in revolvers, the holes in the cylinder that the cartridges are placed in are chambers in and of themselves). The charging handle is connected to the bolt - a piece that moves back and forth as the weapon is fired, closing the breech (that is, the chamber) when forward. The bolt usually houses the firing pin, which directly activates the cartridge, as well as an extractor, which pulls the spent cartridge case from the chamber when the bolt is pushed back by the force of firing. The bolt then slides back forward under spring pressure, pushing a cartridge from the magazine into the chamber, and the cycle can repeat.

The charging handle is simply a way for the shooter to manually cycle the bolt back and forth to load a cartridge into the chamber. In the movies, you see guys "rack" their pistols - drawing the slide back and letting it snap forward. This is the same thing, the only difference is that in most semi-auto pistols, the slide and bolt are joined together. In something more along the lines of the bolt weapons of 40k, you'll have a small handle sticking off one side that the shooter can pull back and release to load the first round from a magazine, or to clear a jam.

Obviously, there are details and exceptions I'm leaving out here, but that's the gist of it. I hope that clears it up for you, and more than that I hope I didn't bore you to death with my babbling! The Wikipedia articles on how semi-automatic weapons work might make a good read for you, though - it could give you a clearer understanding on the different methods of operation, and how bolt weapons may work.

so a charging handle is like, when you see marines pull that handle on their weapons in DoW, and it moves a bolt into the barrel (well the cylinder inside the gun that extends into the barrel) so basically, it would be a grip that would be pulled back, on the left side of the weapon, that would function to manually move ammunition in case of a jam, correct?

thank you for the help, and ok, its a magazine, i was toying with making a belt fed one too (the the chaos, which i presume to be pre-heresy one?) but then i'd have to model each individual bolt... and THAT might take a while

Archived