Assault Squads

joeshmoe

Curious how you guys are building your assualt squads:

How many in squad?

2 plasma pistols (3 with sergent)?

2 Flamers?

Sergent: Power weapon? Lightning Claws?

I am thinking of building mine 10 strong w/ 2 plasma pistols, and sergent w/ plasma pistol.

How do you guys build your assualt squad?

thanks

The three plasma pistols is a little excessive I think for small squads anyway, plus you also run the risk of your opponent taking the casualties form his front rank; leading to a failed charge.

You do run this risk with flamers too, even more so against lighter armoured infantry etc. I would err on the side of caution, and run with just a single special wepaon or pistol variant. I cant count teh amount of times that Ive had a failed charge due to my assault marines unerring aim!

For the Sgt going with a power weapon of some form is a must. Using a powerfist in 5 man squads generally never goes well for me as once you start taking casualties you may have him fall too quickly.

Corpus

I've got a 10 men squad with 2 normal marines with plasma pistols and a sergeant with power weapon and plasma pistol.

They work rather well, aspecially with a chaplain.

Though, I'm still thinking about making 2 marines with flamers and a serg with a thunder hammer, because the current squad can't really handle high T enemies or hordy armies, but they still perform great against MEQ's ^_^

Normally I run a strange variation for mine.

I will typically run my squad maxed out to ten men, with one Plasma Pistol, 1 Flamer, and the Veteran Sergeant with a Powerfist. It typically allows me to cause a wound on anything before I charge it, and if happens to be a swarm, all the better I say. It does tend to work against fore-mentioned swarms extremely well and does indeed grant me the charge most times. Now, this setup also works great against Monstrous Creatures and the like as well, usually causing a guaranteed wound from the Plasma Pistol before a charge. The Sergeants Powerfist then shines as it has numerous bodies covering it while it chops wounds off the enemy.

Those are pretty much the stereotypical fights I run into, but occasionally I do run into Wraithguard or Striking Scorpions and such along the way and have to alter my plans a bit. This armament always seems to work best no matter what my opposition is, as it can always deal a guaranteed wound or so before a charge.

Normally I run a strange variation for mine.

I will typically run my squad maxed out to ten men, with one Plasma Pistol, 1 Flamer, and the Veteran Sergeant with a Powerfist. It typically allows me to cause a wound on anything before I charge it, and if happens to be a swarm, all the better I say. It does tend to work against fore-mentioned swarms extremely well and does indeed grant me the charge most times. Now, this setup also works great against Monstrous Creatures and the like as well, usually causing a guaranteed wound from the Plasma Pistol before a charge. The Sergeants Powerfist then shines as it has numerous bodies covering it while it chops wounds off the enemy.

Those are pretty much the stereotypical fights I run into, but occasionally I do run into Wraithguard or Striking Scorpions and such along the way and have to alter my plans a bit. This armament always seems to work best no matter what my opposition is, as it can always deal a guaranteed wound or so before a charge.

I have this exact same squad, for the exact same reasons.

with normal assault marines i tend to go with a power weapon on the sarge if the squad numbers 5 men and maybe one spec weapon, and with 10 man squads i tend to go powerfist on sarge and one or maybe two spec weapons. With my Veteran Assault Marines (i am a Blood Angel after all) i run with a Powerfist and two Power Weapons with a 8-10 man squad and i tend to leave out flamers in meltas in favor of more attacks in close combat.

This should really be in Tactica Astartes, but...

Plasma Pistols have the oft-overlooked capacity to pop light vehicles and transports. 3 Plasma Pistol shots into an AV10 target (which, given your mobility, most targets will be) stand a respectable chance of downing a vehicle before the charge. This works especially well against light vehicle squadrons (Eldar War Walkers being the Ur-example), due to Immobilised results counting as Wrecked.

When used against Transports, the Assault Squad retains the ability to assault the troops after blowing up the transport.

It's even useful against heavier vehicles in squadrons, if they have AV10 rear armour.

Agreed- plasma adds the versatility to hunt light tanks that a melta-less AS cant get otherwise. Since its not longer an option for codex marines *wich seems really really weird* I think a pair of PPs is actually a good bet on a small squad.

It also has the added benefit of not reducing your number of attacks in CC.

I have two assault squads both 10 man. 10 men last longer then five. Squad A, Sgt has a powerfist, melta bombs, two plasma pistols. Squad B, Sgt has powerfist, melta bombs, two flamers. A fist is nice when you have to rip something strength 8 apart.

I have two assault squads both 10 man. 10 men last longer then five. Squad A, Sgt has a powerfist, melta bombs, two plasma pistols. Squad B, Sgt has powerfist, melta bombs, two flamers. A fist is nice when you have to rip something strength 8 apart.

Am I the only person who just models both sets of special weapon guys and swaps out for whichever I want?

Am I the only person who just models both sets of special weapon guys and swaps out for whichever I want?

Nope thats me as well :lol:

The other overlooked advantake of the plasma pistol is that you dont lose out on an attack if you get it. I have run both and am settling down with plasma pistols because I tend to fight a lot of MEQ and usually need the AP2 and THEN more attacks in CC to crack the heretics and traitors.

As has been mentioned before they do also have a decent shot at cracking vehicles as well, stepping out of the power armour for a second that the best Rhino Wrecker in the Ork Codex is the loota and that only has S7, with you being so close to use it you will likely have a shot at taking out the contents as well.

Wan

Why meltabombs AND a powerfist?

Land Raiders, or Bastions?

For my Black Templars, I like 10-man squad, 2 plasma pistols, and a power fist. Points willing, I'll throw in a few storm shields, since we get those cheap. You never know when you're going to need that powerfist. I hate getting caught in close combat with a walker and not having a power fist.

For vanilla marines, it would depend on what I want them to do. If I am playing my friend with Imperial Guard, then I'll use 2 flamers and the power fist. He usually runs with a lot of troops, and I really like flamers versus guard. Again, the powerfist to make that walker think twice about close combat.

Land Raiders, or Bastions?

What Koremu said. For 5 points why not? You can melt through tough armor. I have two squads cause I have a full company of marines built.

For 5 points why not? You can melt through tough armor. I have two squads cause I have a full company of marines built.

True, true. For some reason I don't factor in the +2d6 when making up my lists. I don't face all that many Land Raiders, so I always tend to hit rear armor of AV10 when attacking a vehicle.

Plus, grenades get one attack, and unless the vehicle (or dread) is immobile, grenades are only 50-50 or worse. PFs get more attacks. I might sometimes put MBs on a sergeant who has a PW, just to make sure he has a chance against something bigger and armored...especially if his squad inadvertantly gets tar pitted by a Kan or Dread.

NEVER take 5 man assault squads, when i first got my SM army i had them with flamer, combat shield and power fist and they got wasted before they got anything. Ten man squads, however, can hold out longer, then accompany a hard-as-nails HQ into a CC fight ( i use chaplain with jump pack, melta bombs and digi wepons) Also, in my experience with PPs they dont kill squat and are a waste of 33 points each, flamers, on the other hand, can hit alot more targets, dont blow up in your face and are very, very, cool. For my searge i take a power fist and storm shield (the huge one from the TermiAssault box, Hell yes!) cos then he, basically kills all and with a 3+ invun (unless your DA) is IMMORTAL!!! :)

Archived