Assault Squads

joeshmoe

I agree on the 5-man assault squad. Unless you make excellent use of cover or drop them behind enemy lines via reserves, they just aren't going to last long enough to do much. Plus, your opponent can force you to make armor saves on your special weapons too quickly if you don't have enough there to soak up the wounds.

Food for thought. A plasma pistol kills 0.55 marines, 0.37 terminators, or 0.19 terminators with storm shields.

A flamer would need to cover just 3 models, 4 models and 3 models respectively to achieve very similar results.

For me then, seeing as the plasma pistol is no better (and often worse, I can tag more than 3 marines with a flamer most times) than the flamer vs MEQs or TEQs, it comes down to shooting a monstrous creature before you charge - even though I'd just plain not charge it - or popping light transports, which I'll admit is nice as you can then charge the contents, and an extra attack in CC.

Those are the advantages, vs a higher cost, potential for gets hot, and the obvious anti horde capabilites of a flamer.

Personally I'd go flamers every time. Higher, more consitent damage potential, and much more likely to be used against the sort of targets your assault marines are going after.

I would always avoid plasma pistols. They are expensive for what they do, and as jaarl points out not really better than flamers.

They do have the advantage of popping light armor, but that really isn't what an assault squad should be doing. You can get better, cheaper anti tank elsewhere and keep your assault squads going after their proper targets.

I agree, never take 5 man assault sqauds. Assault marines are very efficient for their price. Take the full 10 men with a powerfist or don't bother with them at all.

I would always avoid plasma pistols. They are expensive for what they do, and as jaarl points out not really better than flamers.

They do have the advantage of popping light armor, but that really isn't what an assault squad should be doing. You can get better, cheaper anti tank elsewhere and keep your assault squads going after their proper targets.

The Assault Squads proper target is inside the light armour. It's much preferable to pop the Transport and assault the unit than have to assault the transport.

Archived