Epistolary Librarians

o'rieley

Hi all,

I have the sneaking suspicion that Epistolaries cannot use two powers per phase, ie, two shooting powers, or two combat powers, but i am unsure and cannot find where it says i may not.

Can i use two powers in the same phase or am i crazy?

There's no restriction beyond only shooting once. So yes, you can Teleport and Force Dome, or Null Zone and use a shooting power.

If a power says "used instead of shooting" as opposed to "used in the shooting phase", I would assume this would be limited to once as well.

There's no restriction beyond only shooting once. So yes, you can Teleport and Force Dome, or Null Zone and use a shooting power.

If a power says "used instead of shooting" as opposed to "used in the shooting phase", I would assume this would be limited to once as well.

I would imagine so, with the additional restriction that, if the subject were capable of firing two weapons, "used instead of shooting" would block you from shooting at all, while psychic shooting attacks can be used as one of the two allowed shooting attacks.

(what power uses that wording?)

(what power uses that wording?)

Apparently none. I could have sworn I remembered one with that wording, but I looked through most of my codices back to 3rd ed. and couldn't find it. Well, chalk it up to a faulty memory. At least we've got the RAW worked out if it DOES come up, though! :lol:

4th Edition 'Storm of the Emperor's Wrath', 'Fury of the Ancients', 'Fear of teh Darkness' and 'Vortex of Doom' are used in the shooting phase instead of firing a weapon.

5th Edition 'Null Zone' is used at the start of the shooting phase. 5th Edition 'Smite', 'Machine Curse', 'The Avenger' and 'Vortex of Doom' are psychic shooting attacks, which the 5th Edition rulebook describes counting as firing a ranged weapon when used.

My personal favorites are the ones that let you deal Str 6 hits with an addition d6 for armor pen, give fleet and init 10 - all at the beginning of the assault phase.

Those are two different powers, "Might of the Ancients" and "Quickening". Quickening was errata'd so the it's used in the movement phase (and not the assault phase as originally published), allowing Fleet to actually be used.

SJ

My personal favorites are the ones that let you deal Str 6 hits with an addition d6 for armor pen, give fleet and init 10 - all at the beginning of the assault phase.

Those are two different powers, "Might of the Ancients" and "Quickening". Quickening was errata'd so the it's used in the movement phase (and not the assault phase as originally published), allowing Fleet to actually be used.

SJ

You could always use Fleet, but having the power used at the begining of the Assault Phase meant that you had to commit to the run move before knowing if the power works.

And it's now used at the start of the Shooting phase, not the Movement phase. Makes it safer for the user, but less dramatic.

Archived