Predator x2 or Vindicator + Predator?

jesselowe

Kill things!

More specifically, act as fire support for my tactical marines and heavy hitters - whittle down big mobs of ork boyz, pop transports & slow down tanks, that sort of thing. Not necessarily to act as the killing units themselves, but more to wear stuff down before the Terminators in a Land Raider hit 'em. That sort of thing.

Predators. Predators will be better at taking out hordes and dropping transports at range. Cheaper too *pts wise* if you run dakka preds.

I reccommend the TLLC and HB sponsons variant- runs 130pts, can reach out and vape light tanks reliably and gives a nice alrounder option when your fightning hordes.

Don't get one of each. I did that and I had to go out and get more.

Get either 2 preds or 2 vindi's, My vote is for 2 preds. It actually depends on your opponents, vindi's for anti-marine, preds for anti-xenos. Preds also have the major advantage of having better range than vindi's. The 24"range on the vindicator makes it very vulnerable because it has to get in close and this causes exposed side armor.

Run preds either autocannon/bolter or triple lascannons, triple lascannons is way to expensive by the way so just go with the autocannon/bolter version.

Magnetize if you can.

Don't use stormbolters or any other crap on them just a 85 point tank is very very good, 2 of them is even better..

The autocannon/bolter pred, or dakka-pred, is anti horde/anti-transport so make sure you get your anti heavy armor somewhere else, like the 105 point dreadnought (multimelta/dccw). These 2 make a very strong combo. (add multimelta/heavy flamer landspeeders to taste..)

My vote is for the Vindicator. I have run a Vindi with a T/L Las 2 HB Pred for a long time, and they work well in tandem. The best way to kill a pred is up close, and the vindi deters that. The best way to kill a vindi is from outside it's demolisher range, and the pred can deter that. Usually. :lol:

RoV

Get either 2 preds or 2 vindi's, My vote is for 2 preds. It actually depends on your opponents, vindi's for anti-marine, preds for anti-xenos. Preds also have the major advantage of having better range than vindi's. The 24"range on the vindicator makes it very vulnerable because it has to get in close and this causes exposed side armor.

Run preds either autocannon/bolter or triple lascannons, triple lascannons is way to expensive by the way so just go with the autocannon/bolter version.

Magnetize if you can.

Don't use stormbolters or any other crap on them just a 85 point tank is very very good, 2 of them is even better..

The autocannon/bolter pred, or dakka-pred, is anti horde/anti-transport so make sure you get your anti heavy armor somewhere else, like the 105 point dreadnought (multimelta/dccw). These 2 make a very strong combo. (add multimelta/heavy flamer landspeeders to taste..)

Every thing here is right. If you typically face MEQ take a vindi (but don't expect it to do your tank busting) if you typically face TEQ/xenos take a dakka-pred. Whatever you do don't take 1 of each (because you won't face both MEQ and TEQ in the same army typically). Don't mix LC with anything else on a pred, because then you're wasting shots. But frankly, don't take LC at all, since MM is better for the tank busting you're trying to do.

A major misconnception with the Marine Codex is that your force org slots line up against the enemies (HS to kill their HS, FA to kill FA). The way the units actually perform best/most efficiently though you take FA to kill Armor/HS (speeders or attack bikes), you take HS to kill Troops (Dakka-Pred or Vindi).

Magnetize if you can.

Every thing here is right. If you typically face MEQ take a vindi (but don't expect it to do your tank busting) if you typically face TEQ/xenos take a dakka-pred. Whatever you do don't take 1 of each (because you won't face both MEQ and TEQ in the same army typically). Don't mix LC with anything else on a pred, because then you're wasting shots. But frankly, don't take LC at all, since MM is better for the tank busting you're trying to do.

A major misconnception with the Marine Codex is that your force org slots line up against the enemies (HS to kill their HS, FA to kill FA). The way the units actually perform best/most efficiently though you take FA to kill Armor/HS (speeders or attack bikes), you take HS to kill Troops (Dakka-Pred or Vindi).

For what it's worth, I'd got Vindicator and Thunderfire.

The Thunderfire consistently outperforms a dakka predator in my play experience (and I used to always include a dakka pred in the army), and is about the same cost. Like the poster above said, your fast attack should provide your anti-armor, and anti-troop is where you want to go with your heavy support.

The vindicator is a much more durable platform than the thunderfire, wrecks infantry when it hits, and is adequate anti-tank in a secondary role. AND its ability to inflict instant death and ignore everyone's armor saves, FNP, means it can counter enemy units in a way that not much else in the Marine arsenal can.

I use a vindi and a triple las pred routinely.

The triple las almost always gets its kills, but is purely for going after enemy vehicles or single must-kill targets.

The vindi always gives me more anxiety - it often misses.

If you already have one pred, get another. Build the turret different than the first and use different sponsons. That will give you collection flexibility - you can switch stuff around to give one pred a AC turret and LC sponsons, and another with TLLC turret and HB sponsons for example.

Archived